What's new

The Sprout-2017

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
To sum up things for 2017; the tomatoes taste for fall were/are just average, way too much rain. Everything grew like champs though. The bright spot was the WOW variety cherry...they were delicious. The herbs didn't care if it was hot, cold or snowing and did great. My favorite was the tarragon. The chili tepins, were clearly the best plant in the whole garden. A hardy wiry plant that kept pumping out peppers even when there was snow weighing it down. They always sort of looked sick but kept pumping away. The tepins will always have a place in my garden. The lettuce and spinach are doing great and love the colder temps. The green beans did well too and I have plans for two more variety pole beans.

2018 spring season tomato seeds will be planted the first week in January. My orders have all come in and I plan on planting quite a few dwarf varieties. The dwarf will grow to about 4 - 5 feet high but with normal sized fruit just like a regular sized heirloom. They should be easier to deal with and will go in grow bags and raided beds. For me, the planning and variety picking time of year is really fun. Scouring the inter-web seed sites and forums for something new with the hope of it being something really special is very satisfying and addictive. The hunt is half the fun.

Here's my list so far:

1. Sungold F1
2. Supersweet 100
3. Russian Red (A friend from New Zealand sent me a packet of seeds, thanks Chris)
4. German Johnson
5. Ferris Wheel
6. Dwarf Sweet Sue
7. Dwarf Sweet Scarlet
8. Indian Stripe
9. Isis Candy
10. Big Orange V
11. Hawaiian Yellow
12. Sirja's Love
13. WOW
14. Carbon Copy
15. Amish Paste
16. Brandywine
17. JD Special C-Tex
18. Cherokee Purple

...buuutt, the list will probably change a few times more before germination time.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
That's one big list, Aaron

Hoe hoe hoe Merry Christmas.

I picked up a new hoe today. Gave it a quick sharpen as it was blunt as...

20171223_135209.jpg

Then put it to use because a hoe is no good unless it's a dirty hoe. :)

20171223_140225.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I was close to getting my first tomato of the season ripe for Christmas but not close enough. I should start picking some in a week or two. Just one Russian Red looking close at the moment.

Normally I want a sunny boxing day but the rain was much welcome after a month with none. We had 27mm / 1.06inches in 24hours.

20171226_201046.jpg

20171226_201108.jpg

The outside tomatoes are doing well but should be a few weeks behind in ripening.
The Russian Red with the wooden steak looks like a shorty next to the other varieties.

20171226_201206.jpg

Big Beef.

20171226_201248.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm taking out all the suckers, which seems a endless task.
I missed one sucker on a cherokee purple and it has branched into two, I'll leave it as is and not snip it.
If I had them spaced further apart I would let a couple have two or three lower suckers grow. More fruit but smaller as a result. As I have 27 plants I don't think I need more fruit. :w00t:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
In my main bed I'll sucker leaving 3 main stems. In the pots this year I didn't sucker anything until I was happy with the amount of fruit set. Once happy with the number of set fruit, I topped each plant stopping any further top growth. I like the results.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
It's probably been three years since I let any suckers grow.
I think I have CSP syndrome- compulsive sucker plucker. :)

Have you ever reduced each lot of tomatoes to just one on a branch, to get a extra larger tomato. I have contemplated it, just to see how big one can grow but never done it.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"

Have you ever reduced each lot of tomatoes to just one on a branch, to get a extra larger tomato. I have contemplated it, just to see how big one can grow but never done it.
Haven't tried that but sounds like a fun experiment.

That's how i've always done it, unless i miss a sucker and it's loaded with flowers before i find it. I pack a dozen plants into a strip of soil 1'/~30cm x 12'/~3.6m and then up a trellis. I haven't room for more then one stem per plant .

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Chilli plants are slowly getting there.

20171229_094713.jpg

20171229_094728.jpg

That's how i've always done it, unless i miss a sucker and it's loaded with flowers before i find it. I pack a dozen plants into a strip of soil 1'/~30cm x 12'/~3.6m and then up a trellis. I haven't room for more then one stem per plant .

If I had more room I would pant another plant. With that said next year for a couple of plants, I may play with letting every second sucker grow till the first set of fruit, then top it.

Does anyone top their plants at say 5 or 6 sets of tomatoes or just let it grow?

I just let them grow on and on to satisfy my curiosity and, never knowing when the season might end i don't want to limit my chances for ever more tomatoes on the vine. I can pick them any time before a killing frost and they'll turn red in the kitchen, sure not vine ripened flavour but far better then what you'd get in a store.

dave

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I tend to mix it up and top some about 6 to 8 sets while others I just let grow. I don't think I see a significant difference in the size of the tomatoes.

Top Bottom