What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" October 3rd - October 9th, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
The aroma of the cream/croap is fine but it's a devil to lather. This was my third use and I still couldn't get a decent lather. Less water, more product, and an extended lathering period all produced what looked to be a nice lather but it dissipated on the face and dissolved in the bowl to an airy, bubbly mixture. I'm going to give it another try before giving up. I have two other of the Sweyn Forkbeard creams. I hope at least one is better.

This was my first use of the Pearl. I know some people like the Pearl, saying it's a good razor so I decide to get one. I do like the handle so if it doesn't work out all is not lost (it fits well on my PAA DOC). It is a bit weighty and a little awkward but that is fine. I got a few weepers on the first pass but I attribute that to new razor adjustment, especially since I think it's a tad aggressive (and besides, it is an OC). I got a BBS but the alum sting let me know I need to work with the razor. I'm looking forward to my next couple of outings.

Sorry to hear about the cream... hope the other work better. You'd figure that creams would lather a bit easier... then again. There might be something wrong with it. really hope you can turn this one around.

Regarding that head... lol. If you don't like it and just want to keep the handle... I'm sure we can work something out :laugh:. Maybe you'll end up liking it though... I do hope so.

As I expected, Friday was a fine day for photographs and text posts. Thanks to all, gentlemen.

@Quink - Sounds and looks like a great shave, JC. I figured the Feather would do fine. The Feather is usually a very smooth shave for me.

I hope everyone has a great weekend and some great shaves. Good evening, gents.

You were and are correct on that one!! Although I did feel the AS more that usual... very close shave:laugh:.

That brush really isn't too bad Ron. It shed like crazy though as I suspect most low end knots do. The handle is on the smaller side and makes for a nice travel size.:001_smile

Too bad about the shedding. I've only had one brush that shed a lot and that was the new Shave Revolution I got last month. At least it seems to have stopped after only four uses. My first brush, an inexpensive Escali, surprised me when I used it a couple of days ago. I hadn't lathered with it since mid-January. It performed quite well. It too would make a fine travel brush.

SOTD.08-10-16
Antiga barbearia do bairro soap, Synthetic silvertip Mühle travel brush, Merkur vision 2000, Rapira (2), AS agua brava sea power. Exquisite...
proxy.php

Enviado desde la guarida del lobo 🐺

Prep - Noxzema / Hot towel
Pre shave - Proraso
Razor – ‘The Rock’ (Rockwell 6S – #3)
Blade – Gillette Silver Blue
Brush - 'The Duke' (Duke 3 Best)
Soap – Le Père Lucien Tallow
Post - Witch Hazel, Jojoba oil.

LPL Tallow is a lovely soap, so you'd think having it matched with 'The Rock/GSB combo it would be an outstanding shave... NOPE!! I cut my upper lip, and I have a rash around my 'trouble' spots...Yet again, LPL just doesn't agree with me, it simply lacks the protection that I require... But I can see it working for a lot of people, so if you get the chance, try and grab a sample...YOU may not be disappointed.

Too bad about the LPL. I've only heard good things about it. But then, I've not tried it myself. I agree that the Rockwell/GSB is a fine combo.

Sorry to hear about the cream... hope the other work better. You'd figure that creams would lather a bit easier... then again. There might be something wrong with it. really hope you can turn this one around.

Regarding that head... lol. If you don't like it and just want to keep the handle... I'm sure we can work something out :laugh:. Maybe you'll end up liking it though... I do hope so.

You were and are correct on that one!! Although I did feel the AS more that usual... very close shave:laugh:.

I'll see how the OC fares after a few more shaves.

Lovely, lovely, lovely, gentlemen. An excellent grouping of photos and posts for Saturday.

Thank you for your beautiful shots and thoughtful text posts ... outstanding SOTDs, one and all!

@nikonNUT - Nice lighting for the b&w. That Big Boy is one hefty razor.
@Cash_Stronomer - Lovely close-in shot. That Tech is so nice looking. Love your focal area and muted colors.
@UngerWoo - Great color splash.
@Dagwoodz - Fine use of soft focus, Josh.
@Rxdude - Like the near sepia tone of the photo.
@Bobcat - A very handsome shave, Bob.
@blexa - Excellent setup. Did the PannaCream perform well?
@skypsyd - Another exceptional portrait of a shave, Dave. You're a master of the b&w. Nice stand for the brush. Is that an SV also?
@DTrem5 - Good POV of what looks to be an excellent T&H shave. Like the bowl. Does it serve well?
@Theyack - Nicely composed shot. Great revamp of the Fatboy.
@blzrfn - Fiery, eye-popping color for this photo! How did the Durham shave? I've always wanted to know. Love that beautifully colored prop.
@doc47 - A truly enviable shave, Dan. Splendid closeup.
@Rusty Blade - Some excellent elements in that shave! Looks as though the comic character is proclaiming the magnetic quality of the shave.
@Hanover - Nice technique on this photo, Mark. Interesting bowl. Did you like the soap?
@fly3k - Admirable shot of a fine looking shave, Steve.
@PACO GALAN - Grand macro-like shot. It has the look of a phenomenal shave.
@jmudrick - Fine display. The Autostrop looks positively wicked.
@sandstone - Love the shot, Phil. Nice razor stand.
@Quink - Great use of the OS mug, JC. You're gonna really love the Feather soon. I've got a couple of Haslingers on my list.
@Vesalio - I like the positioning -- provides a nice little tableau. Sounds like a great shave.
@hahnevince559 - Interesting photo. Love these two-razor shots.

I hope Sunday proves to be a fine close to the weekend for each of you. I know that the pictures and word portraits will be exceptional.

Have a good evening, gents. Be seeing you.

Last edited:
Sunday's Planned SOTD

$IMG_20161008_193604_processed.jpg

Razor: 2011 Muhle R41\Triad Helix
Blade: Gillette Spoiler 74 (D11)
Brush: EJ XL Horn Silvertip Fibre
Bowl: Symmetrical Pottery
Pre Shave Scrub: MRGLO
Pre Shave Oil: Homemade Lavender Mint
Shave Soap: Savonniere du Moulin "Asses Milk" 30%
Aftershave: Muelhens 4711
Cologne: Muelhens 4711

Lovely, lovely, lovely, gentlemen. An excellent grouping of photos and posts for Saturday.

Thank you for your beautiful shots and thoughtful text posts ... outstanding SOTDs, one and all!

@nikonNUT - Nice lighting for the b&w. That Big Boy is one hefty razor.
@Cash_Stronomer - Lovely close-in shot. That Tech is so nice looking. Love your focal area and muted colors.
@UngerWoo - Great color splash.
@Dagwoodz - Fine use of soft focus, Josh.
@Rxdude - Like the near sepia tone of the photo.
@Bobcat - A very handsome shave, Bob.
@skypsyd - Another exceptional portrait of a shave, Dave. You're a master of the b&w. Nice stand for the brush. Is that an SV also?
@DTrem5 - Good POV of what looks to be an excellent T&H shave. Like the bowl. Does it serve well?
@Theyack - Nicely composed shot. Great revamp of the Fatboy.
@blzrfn - Fiery, eye-popping color for this photo! How did the Durham shave? I've always wanted to know. Love that beautifully colored prop.
@doc47 - A truly enviable shave, Dan. Splendid closeup.
@Rusty Blade - Some excellent elements in that shave! Looks as though the comic character is proclaiming the magnetic quality of the shave.
@Hanover - Nice technique on this photo, Mark. Interesting bowl. Did you like the soap?
@fly3k - Admirable shot of a fine looking shave, Steve.
@PACO GALAN - Grand macro-like shot. It has the look of a phenomenal shave.
@jmudrick - Fine display. The Autostrop looks positively wicked.
@sandstone - Love the shot, Phil. Nice razor stand.
@Quink - Great use of the OS mug, JC. You're gonna really love the Feather soon. I've got a couple of Haslingers on my list.
@Vesalio - I like the positioning -- provides a nice little tableau. Sounds like a great shave.
@hahnevince559 - Interesting photo. Love these two-razor shots.

I hope Sunday proves to be a fine close to the weekend for each of you. I know that the pictures and word portraits will be exceptional.

Yes, it's a great shave Ron...

Enviado desde la guarida del lobo 🐺

From the quality I can only agree. Without problems froth, very creamy and oily foam and excellent skin protection. After shaving, the skin feels very clean, no signs of distension.
Compared with the also different scented Italian soft Soap of RazoRock or Tech Fung Sing makes the Panna Crema on my skin a better impression. It is one of my top 5!

Today there was Carlos Santana shaving,

- PannaCrema - Ebano
- Shavemac D01 2 Band
- The Claymore SE
- Feather Professional
- Floid Vigoroso

proxy.php

Thank you Ron!! I haven't quite decided on the Feathers yet... going to have to compare it in other razors too. I like the closeness... I don't know yet :laugh:. I'm trying to get my hands on all of them... Performance wise they are on point with the best of them. One more thing that might end up in the suitcase coming back from Germany at Christmas.

proxy.php

Pre-Shave: Cyprusian Olive/Argan Oil soap, cold water
Razor: RazoRock Stealth Slant V1
Blade: Ladas (1)
Brush: Doug Korn Epsilong 2-band
Soap: Stirling Lavender & Bergamot
Post-shave: Alum, Barrister & Man Kyovu Original, South Australian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Thanks for your beautiful pictures gentlemen - I hope you all have a great Sunday :thumbup:

@shm - Enticing group of pieces for this shave, Søren. Love the brush. How is the shaving cream?

The cream has a very good performance. Lathers willingly, gives a good protection and glide.
The scent is a little strange though - not unpleasant, but I can't really make up my mind what I think :001_smile

Thanks Ron. The soap has a pleasing Sweet Spice thing going on which I really like. Easy to lather and good protection for a straight edge.
Pairs well with the Autumn Factory. :001_smile

Sunday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Bath Soap-Scots Pine Sheep
Soap: Route 66 Bourbon Jungle
Razor: Gillette NEW Short Comb
Blade: 70’s Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade NEW Chromium (8)
Brush: Ever-Ready 50R/TGN Premium Silvertip-20mmx55mm
Aftershave: Bulgari Man in Black

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Route 66 Bourbon Jungle today. 20 seconds to load E-R Silvertip. Easy, thick, slick, lather. Wilkinson Light Brigade still in the NEW SC. Excellent smooth, close, shave. I finished with Bulgari Man in Black aftershave.

Bob

proxy.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom