What's new

SOTD "FREE WEEK" July 17th - July 23rd, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Dave, for your kind words!
And, enjoyed your flaming shave photo!

In my case, due to a missed inbound connection on the recent trip, I had a standard airline toiletry bag and pooh-poohed the shaver! But Friday, after the accident, it was safer than navigating the Feather AC while on crutches!

IMG_5264.JPG

proxy.php

First shave with a pre-war tech! Man it was great! Truly was a TAD more aggressive and on a fresh Shark SS. Classic shaving Lime and Coconut lathered up with some Cremo Cooling superlathered in.... Lemon Thayers, AV blue and then Nivea Cooling Post balm. Great 2 pass DFS bordering on crossing over!

Schick Type M Injector
Schick blade
Maggards black synthetic brush
Proraso Blue shaving cream
Family Dollar Spice aftershave

Thanks for asking as I won this slim in a LOT and the description was not good. It is Gold ! there are some scratched and little bit of the gold was lost in the door sides - but it works great and I must say the slim is better than the fat boy for me! so I think I did get the aristocrat slim!!! I got that and a super speed both for 35 bucks :)

Damn good score, Jamie! The price IS right!!!

Great photo Ron. What do you think of the Wolfman Guerrilla?

It's definitely a smooth, mild razor and quite efficient. My two shaves so far have been great. The only thing I don't like about it are the extremely short posts in the base plate. It is very easy to misalign the blade if you're not careful.

Lather Bros. Soaps "Miami Mojito"
Island Bladeworks "Stoya" | Elite Razor Manchurian
Ever-Ready SE | Gem PTFE (1)

proxy.php

This one took me by surprise. After having just used Lather Bros' latest, Flora Colossus, which was slightly improved beyond an already nice performer, El Barbero, I expected Miami Mojito to perform similarly. The surprise is that it feels like it's a generation ahead of the other two. I wasn't aware of a base formula being changed. In fact, Flora Colossus is the latest release, so I would expect it to be the latest base. However, when I compared the ingredients list for the two, I noticed pineapple puree in Miami Mojito, and it's not listed in Flora Colossus. I therefore checked their website, and I saw that "Life's a Beach" contains mango puree. Thus apparently the artisan varies the base, which is nothing new, but I noticed a clear performance boost with this one. I wonder if the pineapple added enough citric acid to overcome the limitations of my hard water. (Yes, I know adding a little citric acid to my reserve water could accomplish the same thing, but with the top artisans, I don't need to do this.) Whatever the case, Miami Mojito is not only above average like its relatives, but it actually is competitive with my favorite top artisans. The lather characteristic was quite creamy and dense. Glide was perfect, and residual slickness was also on a superior level allowing me to make touch-up passes without visible lather. Finally, post-shave was comparable to Jeeves and Catie's---in other words, stellar.

I've never had a Mojito cocktail---Miami or otherwise---so I have no idea if this smells even remotely similar, but the notes are mint, lime, and basil. Gourmands aren't always my favorite, the exception being that I tend to be drawn to anything with lime. That said, Miami Mojito doesn't broadcast the lime right away. Instead, I picked up on the basil initially, and the mint wasn't far behind. By the time I had a usable lather, the lime made a clear presence, but it never took the lead. As the shave progressed, it got sharper and bolder. Of the three soaps by Lather Bros. I've used, Miami Mojito by far has the strongest scent. I would rate it a 4+ out of 5 with regard to scent strength. Again, I was really surprised by this fragrance. I absolutely love it.

As previously stated, the post-shave was outstanding and precluded the actual need for any post product, but I was certainly inclined to use Lather Bros' new alcohol-based, mentholated splash. Back in the Winter, with my first review of Lather Bros., I used El Barbero with its paired splash. I had to correct my initial review because I erroneously called it "alcohol-free". An astute reader noted the ingredients indeed mentioned alcohol, but I had assumed it was alcohol-free in light of the inhomogeneous nature and my inability to detect it otherwise. As it was, the amount of alcohol was minimal in this early splash. Hopefully, Lather Bros' move with Miami Mojito and the obvious higher alcohol ratio is a change that they'll continue to implement. Additionally, the splash comes in the flask-style glass bottle. This splash felt great with immediate cooling and an overall impression similar to the late Folsom & Co. splashes. The lime carried much better in the splash such that it was the dominant note, and the mint was accentuated by the menthol. The drydown revealed the basil as the mint left the scene. Lime was still present, but it was mellowed greatly by the basil. 4 hours later, I continue to enjoy this pleasant fragrance.

Lather Bros. is now a permanent part of my rotation. El Barbero was an above average freshman performer, but the "barbershop" fragrance was nothing special. Flora Colossus boosted performance and is a lovely fragrance. (Admittedly, I'm partial to Flora Colossus due to the Groot comic character homage.) Miami Mojito is a clear performance spike, and that alone is reason enough to use it routinely.

Sunday Planned SOTD

proxy.php

Razor: 1946/1947 Gillette Aristocrat
Blade: PoliSilver (D01)
Brush: MS Faux Horn 30MM Silvertip
Bowl: Buffalo Horn 6”
Pre-Shave scrub: Lisa's Citrus
Pre-Shave Oil: Homemade Jasmine Creamsicle
Shave Cream: Alvarez Gomez Agua Colonia
AS Balm: Alvarez Gomez Agua Colonia
Aftershave: Alvarez Gomez Agua Colonia

Superb photo, Guy. Spectacular lineup. That's what I call color coordination. Fine looking Aristocrat. How do you like the 30mm Maseto Shaving brush? I'm thinking about one but I don't know if I want to go with that knot size.

SOTD: 23rd July 2017.
View attachment 806460

Shaving recipe for today.

Prep: Warm shower:/Cien ~ Coconut Sheabutter Shower Gel .

Pre:

warm wet flannel to my face.

Wilkinsons Fruits ~ Coconut & Vanilla Body Butter.

Brush: Omega 10077.

Bowl Lather.

Cream : Boots ~ Cool Cologne Lather Cream .

Blade: Sputnik.(2)

Razor: Gillette Slimtwist .

Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.

Peppermint Oil & Witch Hazel Mixture/ 4711~ Aftershave Cologne.

Nivea Men~ Creme.

Greetings,

A wonderful relaxing sunday shave, with no errors to report.

The Gillette slimtwist is such a wonderful razor, mild smooth, and a excellent performer.

My face is feeling smooth cool, & smelling devine.

Enjoy your sunday, ladies & gentlemen.:cool:

Really like the soft graininess surrounding your elements. There is a subtle, evocative tone to your photos, Barry.

2017-07-23

Ikea bowl ¤ Semogue Owners Club, 2-band ¤ 6/8" Original Schultze
Nanny's Rose Geranium ¤ Floïd Suave ¤ Ferrari Scuderia EDT

proxy.php
By heightening the POV just a fraction your photo presents a different, almost intimate perspective, Soren. Nicely done. That is some balance on your razor!

proxy.php

• Straight Razor: R. A. Herder - 70
  • Shaving Brush: Black Ship Grooming Co. - Whaler Two Band (Silvertip Badger)
  • Shaving Soap: Black Ship Grooming Co. - Peg Leg Nichols
  • Alum: De Vergulde Hand
  • After-Shave: Black Ship Grooming Co. - Castaway
  • Fragrance: Taylor Of Old Bond Street - No 74 Victorian Lime

Artful placement of your array against the stark backdrop, Chris.

Sunday
Prep: Warm Shower-Stirling Bath-Scots Pine Sheep
Soap: Crowne & Crane Thuringian Forest
Razor: Gillette “Black Beauty” Super Adjustable
Blade: Perma-Sharp Super (Shave #1)
Brush: Canadian Rubber Fuller/Whipped Dog High Mountain-24mmx52mm
Aftershave: Bulgari Man in Black

WTG-XTG-ATG (adjusted angles for my beard)

Crowne & Crane Thuringian Forest today. 20 seconds to load the Fuller/WD High Mountain brush. Easy, thick, slick, lather. I loaded a new Perma-Sharp Super in the Black Beauty. Excellent smooth, close shave. I finished with Bulgari Man in Black.

Bob

proxy.php
Splendid layout, Bob. Love your accoutrements.

Superb photo, Guy. Spectacular lineup. That's what I call color coordination. Fine looking Aristocrat. How do you like the 30mm Maseto Shaving brush? I'm thinking about one but I don't know if I want to go with that knot size.
Thanks Ron. The Maseto shave brushes are excellent brushes for the money. I this one in silvertip, another 30mm in 2 band and a 24mm 2 band. All of them are great for the money. Highly recommend you pick up one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom