What's new

SEVENTH ANNUAL "One Blade in February" Challenge - 2016 Edition

Thanks for setting this up Goby. It was fun this year again, as usual.

I managed to get 23 shaves in using the Sharp Durablade. This morning I switched to the Personna Platinum Chrome blade that I had been using prior to February. It had thirty-two shaves on it and this morning it shaved beautifully, much better on shave #33 than the Sharp Durablade at shave #23.

Thank you Gobi. Its been fun satisfying my curiosity and reading what everyone else is doing.

As a postscript, I put a new GSB in my Super Speed this morning. Did I get a closer shave? yes. Was it more comfortable than a blade with 29 shaves? yes. Was there a big difference? Um, no. These blades are a lot hardier than we give them credit for. I haven't tossed that blade. I may get it out in a week or so just to see how I feel about it then.

I enjoyed the month as well! I pulled the Nacet from my Rocket HD last night, but only to give the razor a good cleaning. The Nacet was rinsed and put back in to continue on until it becomes ineffective or uncomfortable, which might not be for some time.
Looking forward to next February already!

Well I got one final shave in yesterday with the Treet. One pass only, it wad in bad shape, but surprisingly it mad it. Today I wad relieved to use my Sensor, my face & neck are still messed up. This was fun, can't wait to do it again next year!

Thanks guys!! This is a great B&B Tradition, and I'm thrilled so many participated. I hope we all learned how far we can push our blades and improved our technique.

My P74 went the distance, and can still go further. I actually used it today because I was too rushed to change it.

Derby Extra, day eleven. It could've gone further, but I'm itching to move on to another razor and blade in my collection.

Shave 30.

I had to try one more shave on the Schick Platinum (Netherlands). I did a test shave against the American counterpart (the Schick Plus Platinum) which was on its second shave.
I had a suspicion that the Dutch blade was not as sharp as it once was. The blade was very smooth, but 8 hours after the shave, it is very clear that the American blade delivered a much better shave.
The Dutch Schick survived February, but it is now clear that it is past its prime. RIP.

I had to give it one more as well. Shave 30 on the 7 O'Clock Yellow. It's still comfortable. It still shaves just not as close as a new blade.

I've satisfied my curiosity. Time to move on.

I had to give it one more as well. Shave 30 on the 7 O'Clock Yellow. It's still comfortable. It still shaves just not as close as a new blade.

I've satisfied my curiosity. Time to move on.

Thirty shaves is remarkable. I stopped one shave short of 30 with my Wizamet before yanking it. Part of me wanted to break the 30-shave barrier with it, part of me want to hold that milestone off for another time, and another blade. I still have the blade, so I could use it again. We'll see.

I can tell you this, I promptly ordered more Wizamets.

Still a little ways to go yet, but just raising up the issue for general awareness. [MENTION=22264]goby[/MENTION] will you start the thread again this year? We prob should have it live in the last couple of weeks of January just to give folks a chance to prep and make their choice. I'll be sporting a 7 oclock blue that I've been using for probably close to a 100 days already :).

Definitely will try something new this year. Last year I made it through with a 7-O'clock yellow so those blades have nothing to prove by me. I have some Nacets on order so I may try those. Not sure they are even different than the yellows since they come from the same factory. Could even try something like a Feather in the Blue Tip. That combination has potential.

I'm definitely interested in this. I just got in on the 3017 train and I'm looking for things to do with my shaving experience other than spend money on stuff (2016 was a little crazy in terms of acquisition disorder).

I'm thinking of riding one of the Moscow blades for the month and see if I can make it work...maybe one of the Rapiras, but I still have time to think about it.

I'm in and I'll open a 2017 thread if no one else claims it. I'll give a Derby or Feather a shot this year. I've never made a feather last more than 4 shaves, so I reckon that would make a good challenge.

Top Bottom