What's new

R41 new version ?

Just tried the new version (2013) yesterday. I've never tried the 2011 so I can't compare, but I like it so far. It's aggressive for sure... it reminds me of an old type but much more refined.

The old type sometimes tears my face up but the r41 doesn't, even though the blade exposure feels similar. The geometry is much better suited to my style of shaving, I usually like a very steep angle and the r41 allows me to do that. I was able to get a nice DFS/near BBS without having to shave ATG. I'm never able to do that with my EJ89.

I think Muhle did a fine job.

Well I couldn't resist the temptation so I ordered the 2013. Unfortunately even thought the Connaught site is advertising the 2013 model mine arrived as the 2011 model - identical to my 2011 model with the head ever so slightly narrower than the EJ89 and a hair narrower than the penny. I'm not sure trying to ship it back for an exchange is worth the postage and time/effort. I may just have to see if my desire for the 2013 builds up again.<br><br>

EDIT: Just to let people know I will still do business with Connaught again. I have had many good transactions with them. I don't want to drag anyone through the mud.

2nd Edit: I gave Peter at Connaught a heads up with the news I got the 2011 instead of the 2013. He offered full refund plus shipping if I shipped it back to the UK. I didn't think it was a big enough deal to box it up, trip to the Post office and have it sit in the mail for a couple weeks. I have three 2011 R41's now and I like them so much I really don't mind. If need be I can sell one on BST. I sent an email back to Peter letting him know and asked him to doubles check his stock. Maybe I'll still order a 2013 and some soap later on. Good customer service though.

3rd Edit: Connaught offered and refunded half the cost of the razor. Outstanding customer service. I have had great experiences with the company.

Last edited:
i also posted this in the other r41 thread and do not mean to double post but would like to get some responses since i want to place my order today for sure, but im so torn on the grande or standard?? any more thoughts?? i have VERY tough hair and it tends to go in all directions. even with a de89 i have to really do 3 passes and then some to get it near bbs. if i want full bbs i know ill have to have a bit more burn from the aftershave and maybe a weeper here or there (not always but happens). so im trying this and a slant. but i just cant decide to start with the standard handle or the grande. i def dont want it lighter then the jagger but the width of the grande im not sure ill like. the length doesnt bother me so much.

anyone chime in here?? also ordering a 39c today as well

^^^ The length of the standard r41 handle is a bit shorter than the ej89. I thought it was too short and just mounted the r41 head on my ej89 barley handle.

As far as getting irritation/weepers... thats not necessarily true as I got a nice shave with close to zero sting from my facewash and lotion. Dont use too much pressure and take your time.

its very rare i get the weepers or burn. its just times when i find with a certain blade i have to go over the area to many times otherwise just do a dfs shave. ive got pretty good with the de89 so im looking for the next step hoping it may make the amount of passes less overall. as far as the handle if its any smaller than the de89 i think i would have to go with the grande version i def dont want a shorter handle than that

The 2013 Muhle R41 arrived in the mail this afternoon...when I brought it indoors,it immediately earned the distinction of being the only razor in my home manufactured after 1968 as all the modern razors I've tried have moved on to other homes.

I just finished shaving a 2 day beard with it this afternoon armed with an Adtra SP,as I've never had the pleasure of shaving with the highly regarded 2011 model unfortunately I can't offer any comparison.Except for my beloved Gillette OLD, I'm primarily a single edge user,yet for some reason I sensed I would like this razor and it did not disappoint.

For those familiar with the GEM OCMM SE...the 2013 R41's performance brought to mind the feeling that I was shaving with it's double edged cousin.The optimal shaving angle's easily found,stay in the pocket and you'll receive a highly efficient irritation free shave without a speck of blood.

Much like the Gillette OLD and OCMM,I get a fine sense of the blade's edge for accurate trimming around my goatee.I like the handle,it's diameter and length were right on,could be more grippy but should be fine if I'm not sloppy.

Fit and finish is impeccable,blade position...efficient and tight.I'm usually reluctant to comment until I shave with a razor a few times but right out of the gate it's easy to see the 2013 Muhle R41 will share the spotlight with my small group of favorites.

Any more opinions in the last few weeks? I ordered one from Westcoast shave. It should be here this week. I am assuming it's the newer 2013 model.

I don't believe West Coast's R41s are 2013 (technically late 2011 per Muhle in an e-mail) - I just ordered one and it was the uber-aggressive version. And I was informed they had just received a new shipment of (older) R41s. WC is a great vendor...it's just my sense that whomever distributes R41s in the U.S. is still getting rid of older stock, thus you're limited in getting the newer version to ordering from outside of the States (from Connaught, Muhle, etc.).

As always, please correct me if anyone can confirm differently...:)

Todd

WCS is a great vendor. If you really want a newer R41, give them a call to confirm before ordering. I'm sure John and the crew know what they have.

It may indeed have been a late 2011 redesign, and supplier/distributor stock of the original design is just now being depleted.
Has anyone measured the head on a recent receipt from WCS?

The R41 I just received from WCS is identical to the pre-update version I have (aggressive version). I think there is still confusion amongst vendors that a newer version exists. I can confirm from e-mail correspondence with Muhle (support and Christian Mueller) that indeed a new one was introduced in late 2011 (what we here on the boards refer to as the 2013 version, since the aggressive version dates from earlier that year and most of us only became aware of this version earlier in the year).

I did call WCS...they confirmed they received a new shipment but could not confirm whether it was a new version, although there seemed to be skepticism. No issues with WCS. I believe if Muhle has a US distributor, none of the new models are in their possession (can't confirm however).

Todd

My R41 arrived from WCS. First of all, I ordered it on Saturday and it arrived today! Whooley Cow what service!!

Anyway, I took the calipers to the razor as soon as I unpacked it. The cap is 18.78mm. I am confident it is the 2011 version. I put a Feather Blade in it and took it for a spin. My oh my this thing is amazing... Super careful, super slow, and no weeping OR bleeding or tears... I love it! I can't believe the feedback thing thing gives. The day I'm ever tired or in a hurry I'm gonna be in trouble...:eek:

Last edited:
I bought an advertised 2013 model from Connaught and received the 20mm wide cap, which I'm led to believe is the latest version. I used to own the previous version and dumped it. I expected the 2013 model to be milder, but in reality, I can't tell the difference. For most of my face it works fine, but there's one spot on my neck and my top lip that always present a challenge. I'm in two minds about whether to persevere or not. It took my face weeks to get back to normal last time round. Prep needs to be first class for the R41..... it shows up poor products for sure.

My R41 arrived from WCS. First of all, I ordered it on Saturday and it arrived today! Whooley Cow what service!!

Anyway, I took the calipers to the razor as soon as I unpacked it. The cap is 18.78mm. I am confident it is the 2011 version. I put a Feather Blade in it and took it for a spin. My oh my this thing is amazing... Super careful, super slow, and no weeping OR bleeding or tears... I love it! I can't believe the feedback thing thing gives. The day I'm ever tired or in a hurry I'm gonna be in trouble...:eek:
The 18.7 cap is definitely the 2011 version. Distribution of the new model started in Europe and the U.S. is late to get them. The 2011 version is the closest-shaving version for those who can handle it. Congratulations! You're able to use a modern-day classic.

The R41 I just received from WCS is identical to the pre-update version I have (aggressive version). I think there is still confusion amongst vendors that a newer version exists. I can confirm from e-mail correspondence with Muhle (support and Christian Mueller) that indeed a new one was introduced in late 2011 (what we here on the boards refer to as the 2013 version, since the aggressive version dates from earlier that year and most of us only became aware of this version earlier in the year).

I did call WCS...they confirmed they received a new shipment but could not confirm whether it was a new version, although there seemed to be skepticism. No issues with WCS. I believe if Muhle has a US distributor, none of the new models are in their possession (can't confirm however).
To get the 2013 model reliably, you have to order from Connaught's or Shaving.ie at this point in time.

I bought an advertised 2013 model from Connaught and received the 20mm wide cap, which I'm led to believe is the latest version. I used to own the previous version and dumped it. I expected the 2013 model to be milder, but in reality, I can't tell the difference. For most of my face it works fine, but there's one spot on my neck and my top lip that always present a challenge. I'm in two minds about whether to persevere or not. It took my face weeks to get back to normal last time round. Prep needs to be first class for the R41..... it shows up poor products for sure.
There is, in fact, a difference in the shave with the 2013 model. Because of the reduced blade exposure, it is unlikely to suffer from blade flex when using thin blades. The reduction in blade exposure also reduces the tendency to "bite", making for a safer shave. The aggressiveness is still there, but slightly reduced. It's possible to use the new model with less concentration and less concern for nicks and cuts. Give it a few days and you'll get used to it.

The 18.7 cap is definitely the 2011 version. Distribution of the new model started in Europe and the U.S. is late to get them. The 2011 version is the closest-shaving version for those who can handle it. Congratulations! You're able to use a modern-day classic.

To get the 2013 model reliably, you have to order from Connaught's or Shaving.ie at this point in time.

There is, in fact, a difference in the shave with the 2013 model. Because of the reduced blade exposure, it is unlikely to suffer from blade flex when using thin blades. The reduction in blade exposure also reduces the tendency to "bite", making for a safer shave. The aggressiveness is still there, but slightly reduced. It's possible to use the new model with less concentration and less concern for nicks and cuts. Give it a few days and you'll get used to it.

Jim - thanks for consolidating the feedback/comments and setting us straight!

Todd R.

Top Bottom