What's new

R41GS and the latest R41 (ZAMAK) Are Not the Same

4 months ago I bought a R41GS. The main reason was my curiosity. Is it as the latest milder ZAMAK R41 from post-2019 or is it like the older 2013 more aggressive version?

Well, the current (milder) ZAMAK and the GS are not the same. Below are the dimensions of one of my latest version ZAMAK R41 heads and the GS. Measurements on the ZAMAK head should be taken at the middle, as width differs at the ends.

I have shaved a few times with it. And The R41GS is definitely much closer to the 2013 head than to the latest ZAMAK head. Is it 100% like the old 2013? Not 100%, I'd rather say more like 90%. I shaved with a Russian Gillette Platinum (light blue). And with the 2013 I get a BBS all over my face. With the R41GS cheeks are BBS but on my neck it is DFS+. I even got another blade from the same pack and tried 3 shaves with it. Still the same. But as I said the blade feel is pretty much like the 2013, not like the latest head. Exposure is visibly more on the GS. So if you want to try the more aggressive feeling of the 2013, just save some cash for a GS.

P.S. Please let's not discuss here Chinese R41 imitations. Thank You!

R41GS
R41 ZAMAK (post-2019)
Cap
20.6 mm
20.4 mm
Plate
25.0 mm
25.5 mm

Interesting. I've come to the conclusion the R41 is my go-to razor, but unfortunately I don't know which one it is. My dad gave it to me years ago (I'd guess 10 to to 15 years ago?) I also use a Feather Artisan DX, but prefer how quick I can go with the R41.

I am wondering if there is a safety razor that is more efficient / aggressive than the R41, or if I should look at this R41 GS. I wish they sold the GS head by itself, I like my aftermarket handle.

Does anyone know based off these photos and video (unable to add video 🙄) which year I have? I can take measurements if it helps.

Attachments

• IMG_1853.jpeg
    IMG_1853.jpeg
    704 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    713.9 KB · Views: 21
Does anyone know based off these photos and video (unable to add video 🙄) which year I have? I can take measurements if it helps.
Photos won't help. You should measure with calipers. Here is info on the sizes of 2019 and 2013. Muhle R41 (ZAMAK head) changed - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/muhle-r41-zamak-head-changed.627847/
There is also an earlier 2011 version which is more aggressive than the 2013.

Do not forget to measure at the middle of the cap and bottom plate.

Interesting. I've come to the conclusion the R41 is my go-to razor, but unfortunately I don't know which one it is. My dad gave it to me years ago (I'd guess 10 to to 15 years ago?) I also use a Feather Artisan DX, but prefer how quick I can go with the R41.

I am wondering if there is a safety razor that is more efficient / aggressive than the R41, or if I should look at this R41 GS. I wish they sold the GS head by itself, I like my aftermarket handle.
I find the Timeless bronze .78mm OC and the Sterling HA (no longer produced) to be more efficient/aggressive in spades.

The R41 definitely not the most efficient razor out there. I would put it slightly above medium efficacy.

Many years ago when there weren't that many modern razors available, I think the R41 had a much bigger audience, but now it's more like an icon. It's still a decent razor, especially for it's price, but now I think we have a lot more options and overall better razors.

If you would like, I believe I have an extra stainless DSCosmetic Z0 head that does not see use. It is an excellent performer, but I have an excess of good shavers. You're welcome to it, just PM me with your address.

More efficient/aggressive? Staying in the DE format, a Famex, Funken, a flat-bottom Gillette, pre-WWII English Gillettes in particular, are all good vintage options and can be found for under ~$40-100, depending on the razor, condition, and seller.

Modern- RazoRock slants in general, iKon Tech(hard to find, but not impossible). Blackland and ATT (soon to both under the Blackland label) made some efficient and aggressive heads, but I never got into them, so someone else can chime in there, and the new Osprey is very, very, good. Obviously, the Taiga and Sailor, which have the ad infnitium adjustment range like the Osprey, but are comparatively unobtanium, the Taiga being Russian-made and the Sailor with its high entry level cost.

If you would like, I believe I have an extra stainless DSCosmetic Z0 head that does not see use. It is an excellent performer, but I have an excess of good shavers. You're welcome to it, just PM me with your address.

More efficient/aggressive? Staying in the DE format, a Famex, Funken, a flat-bottom Gillette, pre-WWII English Gillettes in particular, are all good vintage options and can be found for under ~$40-100, depending on the razor, condition, and seller.

Modern- RazoRock slants in general, iKon Tech(hard to find, but not impossible). Blackland and ATT (soon to both under the Blackland label) made some efficient and aggressive heads, but I never got into them, so someone else can chime in there, and the new Osprey is very, very, good. Obviously, the Taiga and Sailor, which have the ad infnitium adjustment range like the Osprey, but are comparatively unobtanium, the Taiga being Russian-made and the Sailor with its high entry level cost.
Love this, thank you for all the support!

Is this different from the Ikon Tech you're referring to?

You find the flat-bottom NEW (or flat-bottom Tech) more efficient/aggressive than the R41? I haven't used one but that's not the impression I've received from these threads.

You find the flat-bottom NEW (or flat-bottom Tech) more efficient/aggressive than the R41? I haven't used one but that's not the impression I've received from these threads.
I have not done a shave-off, or paid much attention to the blades used in each, so I should probably qualify that as at least "equal to." 👍

Wolfman Guerrilla with the 0.99mm is what you want IMHO. Check my review of the Aluminum version. 😉

I actually liked the 0.99mm better than the 0.84mm and found it to be a bit smoother and easier for me to use but, both are really good options. Better than my Muhle Rocca and R41! Stainless is only a little more expensive than the stainless R41GS and Bronze adds ~$25USD to that.

Gentlemen, let us not turn this about a thread about other razors. Please stay on topic.

IMHO it is. Talking about historical differences in the R41 also treads on the razors that mimic the R41 in form and/or function.

I say this as an R41 owner and someone currently test driving an Aluminum Guerrilla. In the early days, all you had was the R41 and today, there are a bunch of options that mimic the R41 performance with a more comfortable shave for many.

The R41 has a lot of history like the Model-T but, most of us want something better today with a similar, or better, overall experience.

IMHO it is. Talking about historical differences in the R41 also treads on the razors that mimic the R41 in form and/or function.

I say this as an R41 owner and someone currently test driving an Aluminum Guerrilla. In the early days, all you had was the R41 and today, there are a bunch of options that mimic the R41 performance with a more comfortable shave for many.

The R41 has a lot of history like the Model-T but, most of us want something better today with a similar, or better, overall experience.
I don't think it threads on the razors that 'mimic' as you say the R41. A member asked about razors that are more effective than the R41 (without even knowing which version is his - the 2011 or the 2013). This is already off topic. If you feel like discussing other razors, you can start a separate thread about it.

Last edited:
I don't think it threads on the razors that 'mimic' as you say the R41. A member asked about razors that are more effective than the R41 (without even knowing which version is his - the 2011 or the 2013). This is already off topic. If you feel like discussing other razors, you can start a separate thread about it.
So to bring it back on topic, can you tell me how many / when each change / iteration was? Was the 2011 specifically that year, or 2011 and back? And then is it 2013 and forward? And now there was another change? I believe you said the R41 GS and R41 standard are different, both in material and dimensions, resulting in the GS being more aggressive, comparable to the 2013?

So to bring it back on topic, can you tell me how many / when each change / iteration was? Was the 2011 specifically that year, or 2011 and back? And then is it 2013 and forward? And now there was another change? I believe you said the R41 GS and R41 standard are different, both in material and dimensions, resulting in the GS being more aggressive, comparable to the 2013?
2011 was made from 2011 until 2013, when they tamed it. Then around late 2019 they tamed it even more. We are talking increasing cap and plate width to reduce exposure. R41GS is more aggressive compared to the current ZAMAK R41. Closer to the 2013, although not absolutely identical to it.

Top Bottom