What's new

R41GS and the latest R41 (ZAMAK) Are Not the Same

4 months ago I bought a R41GS. The main reason was my curiosity. Is it as the latest milder ZAMAK R41 from post-2019 or is it like the older 2013 more aggressive version?

Well, the current (milder) ZAMAK and the GS are not the same. Below are the dimensions of one of my latest version ZAMAK R41 heads and the GS. Measurements on the ZAMAK head should be taken at the middle, as width differs at the ends.

I have shaved a few times with it. And The R41GS is definitely much closer to the 2013 head than to the latest ZAMAK head. Is it 100% like the old 2013? Not 100%, I'd rather say more like 90%. I shaved with a Russian Gillette Platinum (light blue). And with the 2013 I get a BBS all over my face. With the R41GS cheeks are BBS but on my neck it is DFS+. I even got another blade from the same pack and tried 3 shaves with it. Still the same. But as I said the blade feel is pretty much like the 2013, not like the latest head. Exposure is visibly more on the GS. So if you want to try the more aggressive feeling of the 2013, just save some cash for a GS.

P.S. Please let's not discuss here Chinese R41 imitations. Thank You!

R41GS
R41 ZAMAK (post-2019)
Cap
20.6 mm
20.4 mm
Plate
25.0 mm
25.5 mm
My suspicion, and it only that, is that the R41 has followed the market trend, e.g., a solid design that removes hair and is mildly exfoliating, followed by response to consumers who want life bumper-padded. The 2011 was supposed to be rather beastly, the 2013 more modest, then the post-2019 whose numbers seem to indicate a milder presence still.

Muhle is obviously interested in volume market share, which means generally selling to the lowest common denominator. It is definitely more challenging (and expensive) to try limited, or "sprint," runs using zamak dies, vs changing code on the CNC.

My suspicion, and it only that, is that the R41 has followed the market trend, e.g., a solid design that removes hair and is mildly exfoliating, followed by response to consumers who want life bumper-padded. The 2011 was supposed to be rather beastly, the 2013 more modest, then the post-2019 whose numbers seem to indicate a milder presence still.

Muhle is obviously interested in volume market share, which means generally selling to the lowest common denominator. It is definitely more challenging (and expensive) to try limited, or "sprint," runs using zamak dies, vs changing code on the CNC.
Makes sense. But there's more than enough mild razors on the market now, I'm kind of tired of seeing all these ads stating "single blade shaving is back". It was never gone! And my face cannot handle AXG or ATG so I need an efficient / aggressive razor that can provide for as smooth of a shave as possible in one pass.

My R41 is definitely a 2011 or 2013. I gotta dig my calipers out of my reloading station and take some measurements!

This has been done by many companies in the last decade. Merkur made some of their models milder. Parker, Pearl, Lord. All of it silently, without announcements. A milder razor means more sales.
Even Gillette went for milder TTOs and Techs in the 50s compared to the 40s designs.

I just measured my R41GS from 2021 and it matches the GS measurements in the OP. I haven't ever tried a zamak R41 of any era so can't compare - love my GS!

I concur. Had an older zamak R41 and always thought it was a rough shaver. Bought a R41GS and liked it a bit better. Ended up selling them and late last year decided to get another zamak R41 with the rose gold handle and it seems much smoother and tame by comparison. I actually like it now.

Top Bottom