What's new

R41 new version ?

I finally tried the loaner 2013 R41 this morning. My observations may not be terribly original, but I was very excited about this adventure and can't resist writing about it.
First, I'm very pleased that I will never try the 2011 R41. The 2013 version is enough for me.

Living up to its reputation, the R41 is the most aggressive DE I have ever used. I loaded it with a Personna Med Prep that already had 2 shaves under its belt. I can easily get 4 shaves from a Med, and I wanted a blade that I knew would be sharp, sans defects, and perhaps a bit more forgiving than one fresh out of the wrapper.

The shave was strangely rough, although not in an unpleasant way. It seemed like the lather was not doing its job (I was using superlather made from Erasmic and MWF). Frequent re-latherings did not ameliorate the sensation.

The shave was about as close as any I have ever experienced, but not noticeably better than other aggressive razors. I did manage to avoid any nick, cuts, or weepers. I have a tiny bit of irritation in one spot, which sometimes happens with other razors.

I cannot shave with this beast 2 days in a row, but I will eventually try it out with some other blades and do a side-by-side with my Joris or Cadet OC.

Do you like aggressive razors? Do you wish you could dial your Fatboy up to 11? The R41 may just what you are looking for ...

I finally tried the loaner 2013 R41 this morning. My observations may not be terribly original, but I was very excited about this adventure and can't resist writing about it.
First, I'm very pleased that I will never try the 2011 R41. The 2013 version is enough for me.

Living up to its reputation, the R41 is the most aggressive DE I have ever used. I loaded it with a Personna Med Prep that already had 2 shaves under its belt. I can easily get 4 shaves from a Med, and I wanted a blade that I knew would be sharp, sans defects, and perhaps a bit more forgiving than one fresh out of the wrapper.

The shave was strangely rough, although not in an unpleasant way. It seemed like the lather was not doing its job (I was using superlather made from Erasmic and MWF). Frequent re-latherings did not ameliorate the sensation.

The shave was about as close as any I have ever experienced, but not noticeably better than other aggressive razors. I did manage to avoid any nick, cuts, or weepers. I have a tiny bit of irritation in one spot, which sometimes happens with other razors.

I cannot shave with this beast 2 days in a row, but I will eventually try it out with some other blades and do a side-by-side with my Joris or Cadet OC.

Do you like aggressive razors? Do you wish you could dial your Fatboy up to 11? The R41 may just what you are looking for ...

I can't seem to get my overall impression set from posts here on the true differences between the 2011 and 2013. What I can say after my first shave with the 2011 is that it has a very wide array of angles, and the default angle I would use might not be the best one for the 2011. I got a super close shave (for only two passes) with zero ill effects, but man, there was a sensation of just me and the Med Prep doing the tango! I should say that the alum gave some more sting than usual, but about on par with what I'd get if I went for a BBS with my Fatip.

Today I'm going to try a slightly shallower blade angle and see what happens.

Well Doc, at least you emerged unscathed from your first R41 shave. That's more than I can say for my experience. Perhaps your technique and skin combine in such a way that you tolerate the R41 more easily. So the shave was close, but you can already tell you won't be able to use the razor two days in a row? Do you think your skin will end up being irritated if you have another go with it?

Hopefully as you use it more the less impact it will have on your skin. I'm glad your first experience wasn't a total disaster. Keep us posted as you have more shaves.

Hope this is an okay place to ask, but I have an R41 that my dad gave me and I'm trying to figure out what year it is. I am attaching photos, and can take measurements or better photos if needed. I have a video I took but I can't seem to upload it.

Attachments

• IMG_1853.jpeg
    IMG_1853.jpeg
    704 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1854.jpeg
    IMG_1854.jpeg
    713.9 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom