What's new

No more badger brushes in Australia?

There’s no ban yet but the trend has definitely moved towards synthetics recently. Truefitt & Hill still stocks some nice badger brushes. They have bricks and mortar stores in Melbourne, Sydney and Canberra. Alternatively you can get them shipped in. Stock up while you can.

I’ve never had a problem with badger brushes smelling bad as some people mention.

Anyway I bought an Omega silvertip (24mm knot) brush from Oz Barber (thanks for the tip). Here’s a pic of it after one use (next to my old Edwin Jagger badger which is 10 or 12 years old, and my (terrible) new Simpson’s chubby 2 synthetic “sovereign fibre” which has had a week or two of daily use and still looks brand new). There’s no comparison between the badgers and the synthetic, the synthetic just doesn’t work well. I love the new Omega, it feels awesome, and it bloomed out to about double in width after the first use, and it just works so well.

It’s weird though, as to the touch the synth feels lovely, but it just doesn’t work well once it gets wet, and doesn’t hold any water. I might try a new boar brush soon too, haven’t owned a boat before, but for now I’m loving the Omega.

Attachments

• 387FBDB4-D0A8-43AB-B371-077B231FDEBD.jpeg
    387FBDB4-D0A8-43AB-B371-077B231FDEBD.jpeg
    901.2 KB · Views: 40
As a rule of thumb, synths require less water, and many of the frustrations with synths actually improve after reducing the water content.
I’m don’t think too much water is the issue I’m having. I soak the brush in warm water for a few minutes before using it, then squeeze most of the water out, then begin to lather. If there is too much water being used the lather goes all bubbly and runny (which it hasn’t been). My biggest gripe is the way the synthetic bristles clump up when they get wet, of course this would affect the way it feels on the face when using. It’s a pity as the fast drying aspect is convenient… but the synth just doesn’t work or feel like a badger brush. For me it’s no contest. Maybe I’m too used to the way my old badger brush works. Maybe if I was just starting out and a synthetic was my first brush I’d be happy with it (and wouldn’t know any better).

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I’m don’t think too much water is the issue I’m having. I soak the brush in warm water for a few minutes before using it, then squeeze most of the water out, then begin to lather. If there is too much water being used the lather goes all bubbly and runny (which it hasn’t been). My biggest gripe is the way the synthetic bristles clump up when they get wet, of course this would affect the way it feels on the face when using. It’s a pity as the fast drying aspect is convenient… but the synth just doesn’t work or feel like a badger brush. For me it’s no contest. Maybe I’m too used to the way my old badger brush works. Maybe if I was just starting out and a synthetic was my first brush I’d be happy with it (and wouldn’t know any better).
Sorry for the frustration you experienced with synth, there have been quite a few gentlemen in B&B's over the years who have switched from badgers/boars to synth and haven't looked back.

I wish you can find more ways to buy your favorite brushes. :)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
but the synth just doesn’t work or feel like a badger brush.
I do not judge a boar brush by how closely it works and feels like a badger brush, since it is not one. Likewise, I think the days of synths being judged by how closely they replicate a badger brush are over, they are their own distinct lathering tools and should be judged accordingly. If I want a brush that is just like a badger, then I will use a badger. I want a synth to be different precisely because it is different, and thus it adds variety, else for me there is no point in synthetic brushes existing. I have only one synth, an early Chubby 2 lofted at 54mm, and it is superb. It can very quickly create a huge amount of superb lather from very little soap, and the key for me is to use a barely damp brush before loading. I mean I just dip the tips in water, certainly not soaking the entire knot, then load the brush and start face lathering, slowly adding water by repeatedly dipping the tips in water. It works very well indeed and I can see all the logical advantages of the synthetic, by every measurable metric the synth is superior to the badger, but....... I prefer my badger brushes and I always will. The truth is that it doesn't matter how good a synthetic brush is, I will never prefer it over a badger brush for some intangible reason that makes no sense; my Chubby 2 synth is great, really really fantastic, but I don't want another.

synthetic is plastic, comes from petroleum, and then it will not biodegrade in a very long time after the user throws it away....., not sure/clear why they ban natural hair.....

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
synthetic is plastic, comes from petroleum, and then it will not biodegrade in a very long time after the user throws it away....., not sure/clear why they ban natural hair.....
When I asked the question out here in Australia to a reputable shaving supplier I was informed it was to do with the ethical harvesting of the bristles/hair. If the supplier of the bristles/hair could not prove ethical harvesting on their behalf, then the supplier would rather not sell the finished product.

Top Bottom