What's new

New Shavemac in Honor of the Configurator Closing

My 2/29 order finally arrived.

IMG_9329.jpeg

Peacock 22/46 D01 3 band

IMG_9328.jpeg

Red Damascus 22/46 Finest

Both are fan knots

There sure are a lot of nice looking brushes here!

Is anyone here measuring their loft height?
I'm curious how Shavemac measures the loft height of their brushes.
Just measured 2x brushes from the tip of the highest hair to the base, where it meets the handle. First one was supposed to have a loft of 60mm, I measured 56mm. Second one was supposed to be 56mm and I measured 54mm.

IMG_9366.jpeg

Shavemac Finest Badger in Red Damascus 22mm w/46mm loft. I thought this would be significantly more floppy than the D01 3 band. I'm actually surprised the D01 3 band seemed more floppier than I was expecting. Seemed floppier than the Beagle in Peacock Blue I bought off the BST here, and I thought those were Silvertip?

It's a whole lot easier with a flattop! The bulbs are as ordered.

Such a shame that Bernd has stopped selling brushes direct.

View attachment 1835065
How would you compare the flat top to fan?

I agree I'm sure Bernd probably was overwhelmed doing one off custom brushes for everyone. Glad I bought 2 at the end of the configurator. I checked out all the vendors links he has links to on the Shavemac site. Seems the brushes are more mainstream and I didn't see many 20 or 22mm knots. Didn't see any D01 knots either. How would one order one of these if none of these vendors carry them?

I don't really use fan shaped brushes anymore -- the Shavemac fan I did try was set too short and the knot was way too large. I borrowed a 30mm which was 32mm actually. Backbone was off the charts and it was a real "brick of badger." I really like the way the flattop feels and splays. @Rudy Vey's recommendation was spot on, 20mm is perfect. I don't run out of soap and the backbone is excellent.

Mostly I use bulbs but the flattops are a great addition.

If you are seeking more backbone, try a D01 2 band. Some resellers do have D01 but larger knots, like the classic Americana.

I don't really use fan shaped brushes anymore -- the Shavemac fan I did try was set too short and the knot was way too large. I borrowed a 30mm which was 32mm actually. Backbone was off the charts and it was a real "brick of badger." I really like the way the flattop feels and splays. @Rudy Vey's recommendation was spot on, 20mm is perfect. I don't run out of soap and the backbone is excellent.

Mostly I use bulbs but the flattops are a great addition.

If you are seeking more backbone, try a D01 2 band. Some resellers do have D01 but larger knots, like the classic Americana.
Yeah I'm really not into those huge 28mm and up sized knots. 24mm is pretty much what I consider almost too big. I have a D01 3 band that I'm underwhelmed with. The Beagle I bought is a 2 band (silver tip?) but it seems like it has more backbone then the D01. How can I be certain it actually is a D01? It didn't have that weird mushroom shape when I took it out of the shipping tube.

IMG_9369.jpeg

Top Bottom