What's new

No more badger brushes in Australia?

I’ve recently bought a new simpsons chubby 2 “sovereign fiber” synthetic brush as the online Australian retailers here only sell synthetic brushes now (I hadn’t noticed the crossover to synthetic as I haven’t bought a brush in 10 years or more - been using my old Edwin jagger best badger all this time. It’s shedding too many hairs nowadays so figured I should replace it and couldn’t find any badger brushes locally here in Australia, read many great reviews on the simpsons synthetics so bought one to try out.

After a week of daily shaving with the simpsons synthetic I switched back to my old badger today and really can’t see why/how everyone raves about the synthetic brushes. It feels lovely on your hand when dry, so soft yet firm, much nicer than my badger, but it just doesn’t work very well on your face. At least that’s been my experience so far. The synthetic fibres kind of clump up when wet and don’t deliver lather the same way a badger brush does. The synth whips up a good lather in a bowl/mug, but not so good at face lathering, whereas the badger is great at both.

I can see online retailers in the UK and USA still offer badger brushes but the shops here on oz don’t stock them anymore. Any Australians here know of a local source for badger brushes? (Shipping from Europe or the US to Australia is very expensive from what I’ve looked at).

(Soaps/creams I’ve tried with the synthetic: Mitchell’s wool fat (old tallow one), tobs sandalwood, simpsons bay rum, tabac, and phoenix and beau bay rum. I’ve had best results making lather in a bowl with softer soap like Phoenix & beau, and tobs and simpsons creams)

Thanks mkd, I hadn’t looked at ozbarber (or vshod) because they don’t have a dot com dot au url. Lots to choose from on oz barber. The other site you linked doesn’t work too well on a mobile, I’ll try it on a computer when I can. Cheers

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have noticed this with eBay. I had several sellers in my watching page that sold Simpson Brushes of various types of bristles. Now they only seem to sell Simpson brushes in Synthetic Bristles. Some other sellers out here have done the same thing with their Simpson range of brushes. They have gone to Synthetic Bristles only.

Rhodium was from AUS right? I heard he went totally offline and left a lot of people hanging, but as I understand his knots were always very highly regarded.

Legion

Staff member
Well, I guess I won't be selling any of my badger brushes any time soon then. Bummer.

Aliexpress sells badger Yaqi brushes from China and the prices inc. shipping seem pretty reasonable. I've never tried one, but some of them look quite nice.

Do we know if the Australian government has done anything to stop the import, or just the retailers have gone vegan?

Well, I guess I won't be selling any of my badger brushes any time soon then. Bummer.

Aliexpress sells badger Yaqi brushes from China and the prices inc. shipping seem pretty reasonable. I've never tried one, but some of them look quite nice.

Do we know if the Australian government has done anything to stop the import, or just the retailers have gone vegan?
Nothing to be found aside of a reference to honey badgers (CITES - Botswana 1978).

Try checking at The Stray Whisker. I believe they have Edwin Jagger brushes in Silvertip Badger. Con's a heck of a nice guy. I am sure he will help you out.

I do not know the reason why so many stores are no longer carrying badger brushes but I get the impression that there is more meat on the bone for them to make a profit on them than Badger brushes.

I was a bit disappointed myself to see one of my favourite local store no longer carrying badger Simpson brushes anymore. I bought a chubby 2 in best badger a few years ago and wanted to buy a Classic and Chubby 1 too in more recent times but alas it wasn't to be at least not locally. I can't really say for sure why Simpson Badger brushes are no longer available in Australia but it is certainly disappointing.

Buying overseas is difficult because our dollar is absolutely worthless. I would still recommend looking at Shavemac brushes if possible.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Try checking at The Stray Whisker. I believe they have Edwin Jagger brushes in Silvertip Badger. Con's a heck of a nice guy. I am sure he will help you out.

I do not know the reason why so many stores are no longer carrying badger brushes but I get the impression that there is more meat on the bone for them to make a profit on them than Badger brushes.

I was a bit disappointed myself to see one of my favourite local store no longer carrying badger Simpson brushes anymore. I bought a chubby 2 in best badger a few years ago and wanted to buy a Classic and Chubby 1 too in more recent times but alas it wasn't to be at least not locally. I can't really say for sure why Simpson Badger brushes are no longer available in Australia but it is certainly disappointing.

Buying overseas is difficult because our dollar is absolutely worthless. I would still recommend looking at Shavemac brushes if possible.
Con is great. I have bought off him online and in store. Very knowledgeable on his product and also on what is around. We have been discussing this brush issue in The Great Southern Land Forum a little further.

I forgot to add that there is a possibility that your badger brush is need of a deep cleaning to stop and prevent it from shedding.

I’ve recently bought a new simpsons chubby 2 “sovereign fiber” synthetic brush as the online Australian retailers here only sell synthetic brushes now (I hadn’t noticed the crossover to synthetic as I haven’t bought a brush in 10 years or more - been using my old Edwin jagger best badger all this time. It’s shedding too many hairs nowadays so figured I should replace it and couldn’t find any badger brushes locally here in Australia, read many great reviews on the simpsons synthetics so bought one to try out.

After a week of daily shaving with the simpsons synthetic I switched back to my old badger today and really can’t see why/how everyone raves about the synthetic brushes. It feels lovely on your hand when dry, so soft yet firm, much nicer than my badger, but it just doesn’t work very well on your face. At least that’s been my experience so far. The synthetic fibres kind of clump up when wet and don’t deliver lather the same way a badger brush does. The synth whips up a good lather in a bowl/mug, but not so good at face lathering, whereas the badger is great at both.

I can see online retailers in the UK and USA still offer badger brushes but the shops here on oz don’t stock them anymore. Any Australians here know of a local source for badger brushes? (Shipping from Europe or the US to Australia is very expensive from what I’ve looked at).

(Soaps/creams I’ve tried with the synthetic: Mitchell’s wool fat (old tallow one), tobs sandalwood, simpsons bay rum, tabac, and phoenix and beau bay rum. I’ve had best results making lather in a bowl with softer soap like Phoenix & beau, and tobs and simpsons creams)
I agree with you on Synthetics. I find they work pretty well for face lathering creams (like Body Shop and Art of Shaving) and they are great when traveling (more forgiving if you have to pack them damp).

Top Bottom