What's new

Some Info from Shavemac

I won’t purchase another brush from Shavemac, or a Shavemac brush period. The last brush I purchased from them is a synthetic. The knot was set crooked, and there was resin all over the handle. Not the quality that I was expecting. My guess is that they were once a quality company but, not anymore… hence, going under.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Sad that the synthetic ChinaMart crowd is pushing the others out, but as someone else said that's life.

I believe that there is another way to look at this. China arguably produces most of the badger hair used by western companies in their shaving brushes. Why shouldn’t China produce their own handles knotted with their own badger hair that they sell to western makers?

Or produce their own synth brushes from fibers that western manufacturers buy from them? BTW, as I understand it, these synthetic fibers aren’t unique to shaving brushes, I felt up the synth paint brushes at a hardware store, they are remarkably similar.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I believe that there is another way to look at this. China arguably produces most of the badger hair used by western companies in their shaving brushes. Why shouldn’t China produce their own handles knotted with their own badger hair that they sell to western makers?

Or produce their own synth brushes from fibers that western manufacturers buy from them? BTW, as I understand it, these synthetic fibers aren’t unique to shaving brushes, I felt up the synth paint brushes at a hardware store, they are remarkably similar.
Steve, that is a fair point. Even so, for me, I'd rather buy a badger brush from Rudy or SV or another first world country. I buy enough stuff from China where there are no other options as @RRGGMM just posted. This computer upon which I'm typing was made in China. My iPhone is... etc., etc., etc..

I hope the wet shaving community supports the small companies and individuals who make some amazing products.... so they'll be around until our sons decide it's time to shave off their beards. <eg>

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I hope the wet shaving community supports the small companies and individuals who make some amazing products.... so they'll be around until our sons decide it's time to shave off their beards. <eg>

The wet shaving community will exist worldwide because it’s the cheapest way to shave - SR.

What the western community will look like in a few years is a topic of good discussion!

All I've ever experienced from Shavemac is quality. I regret none of mine and nobody should hesitate placing an order with him. Quality is second to none imo and I'm positive if I did have an issue he would work with me his communication has always been fast and genuine. I've never had any issues and I hope he's around until he can hang it up on his own terms. I obviously don't need any more but I plan on putting in a configurator order before it's too late.
20240117_185209.jpg

I won’t purchase another brush from Shavemac, or a Shavemac brush period. The last brush I purchased from them is a synthetic. The knot was set crooked, and there was resin all over the handle. Not the quality that I was expecting. My guess is that they were once a quality company but, not anymore… hence, going under.
Not sure exactly what parts of what threads you've been reading but Shavemac "ISN'T GOING UNDER", they are just closing the configurator is all. They will still be in business and make anyone a brush from a list of standard options much the same as most any other brush maker out there today!!

Did you return the brush you didn't like? Shavemac has been known for quality and their customer service for many years!!

Both our teenagers wet shave (16/18).

They have access and tried many of my brushes and razors. Both settled on $20 synthetics as they didn't like the feel of badger or boar.

The above statement is a perfect material for marketing research.

I have Chubby 2 Best, PJ2 Super, Kent BK8, SV 2.0, Muhle Kosmos Bogs Oak STF, and Edwin Jagger XL STF. Few months ago I purchased a Yaqi Mink for experiment and bit latter PIFed it. Missed it and purchased again for $15.00. These days I rotate between Yaqi Mink, SV2.0 and PJ2 and I look forward for Yaqi's turn. The comfort of handle design is better than the rest and lather is on par with other brushes. Rest of the brushes are sitting collecting dust. Couple of days ago I pulled out Muhle Kosmo out of kind of obligation and I was like, what in the world Muhle was thinking.

I might keep PJ2 and Yaqi mink and PIF or BST the other brushes. Probably pick up one or two more Yaqi copies.

For me at least, preference for Yaqi is not only about the money.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
All I've ever experienced from Shavemac is quality. I regret none of mine and nobody should hesitate placing an order with him. Quality is second to none imo and I'm positive if I did have an issue he would work with me his communication has always been fast and genuine. I've never had any issues and I hope he's around until he can hang it up on his own terms. I obviously don't need any more but I plan on putting in a configurator order before it's too late. View attachment 1792959
With Shavemac, the only let down for me has been the configurator and my hair brained ideas. Mostly, anyway. Now that I know what their synth is like, I would have had the loft longer than normal for me, not shorter. And I know how dense and stiff the two band is in a flat top, and in that regard my badger tastes have changed, whereas I previously liked stiff, one of my favorite brushes these days is a Kent badger so you can see, I like boneless chicken.

Let me put it this way.
Chinese shaving brush manufacturers will continue, no matter what we do.
We might as well stop talking.

What we should do instead is support quality brush makers and keep giving them our business.
Shavemac (which includes Rudy’s brushes) and some others spring to mind and Bernd’s business produces quality brushes (or knots in Rudy’s case) that I have rarely heard a negative comment about.
Even more, his service is outstanding. A few months ago he put two new knots for me in 1990’s Shavemacs.
Just try to get a Chinese manufacturer to put a new knot in a brush.
(I know; this wouldn‘t be worth the expense in the first place.)

Of course, it is almost unavoidable that we buy some (not necessarily shaving related) Chinese goods.
My point is if I pay twice as much for a quality product that lasts three times as long as some junk, then the quality product may be a higher investment, but is less expensive in the long run.

Call it the Brutus’ Rule. :pipe:

When it’s three times as much, it breaks even.

When it’s four times as much, then I have to think, but am still leaning towards quality.

I’d rather hold off an expensive purchase for a while than go early for rubbish.
(Must be the German genes that I inherited.:sneaky2:)

B.

Let me put it this way.
Chinese shaving brush manufacturers will continue, no matter what we do.
We might as well stop talking.

What we should do instead is support quality brush makers and keep giving them our business.
Shavemac (which includes Rudy’s brushes) and some others spring to mind and Bernd’s business produces quality brushes (or knots in Rudy’s case) that I have rarely heard a negative comment about.
Even more, his service is outstanding. A few months ago he put two new knots for me in 1990’s Shavemacs.
Just try to get a Chinese manufacturer to put a new knot in a brush.
(I know; this wouldn‘t be worth the expense in the first place.)

Of course, it is almost unavoidable that we buy some (not necessarily shaving related) Chinese goods.
My point is if I pay twice as much for a quality product that lasts three times as long as some junk, then the quality product may be a higher investment, but is less expensive in the long run.

Call it the Brutus’ Rule. :pipe:

When it’s three times as much, it breaks even.

When it’s four times as much, then I have to think, but am still leaning towards quality.

I’d rather hold off an expensive purchase for a while than go early for rubbish.
(Must be the German genes that I inherited.:sneaky2:)

B.
I’d add that I’ve been very pleased with the Oumo brushes I’ve had from China. Not only were they extremely well made, but Carry, the proprietor is a real can-do guy and if you message him there’s probably not much he wouldn’t make for you. Very pleasant guy too, based on the interactions I’ve had. I doubt there are many brush makers of the scale I imagine Oumo is who would be so flexible and customer focused.

So, to add some balance, I’m keen to support quality brush makers wherever they may be based, including equally the ones in China.

All I've ever experienced from Shavemac is quality. I regret none of mine and nobody should hesitate placing an order with him. Quality is second to none imo and I'm positive if I did have an issue he would work with me his communication has always been fast and genuine. I've never had any issues and I hope he's around until he can hang it up on his own terms. I obviously don't need any more but I plan on putting in a configurator order before it's too late. View attachment 1792959
I agree. I had one Shavemac and it was a shedder and I contacted Bernd about it and sent him a pic and the next thing I know he sent me a replacement brush to make it right.. His brushes are really Nice ...

I can understand the pricing of synthetic brushes being appealing. Do you think synthetics are really becoming more popular than natural bristle brushes? I only have a Simpsons synthetic in a Chubby 2, and I am extremely underwhelmed by the brush.

Synthetic brushes have come a long way since I bought my first Omega synthetic, which I did not like one bit.
The brush felt like someone had appropriated painting brush fibres for shaving duties. Dreadful…

I started taking synthetics serious when Mühle came up with their Silvertip Fibres®. They were the first good synthetic brush fibres that I came across and suited me because I traveled frequently overnight in those days and needed a capable brush that dried quickly and could tolerate residual moisture better than natural fibres.
They were capable, but lacked backbone for my taste.

I have not tried the Simpsons Sovereign series, but the two Platinum series Simpsons synthetics that I own have even less backbone.

By comparison, Shavemac’s own synthetics have considerable backbone and the widely available black Tuxedo fibres are in the middle between Mühle and Shavemac.
Shavemac offers Shavemac’s own, and also buys in Tuxedo, Synbad and G5C fibres where it remains to be seen whether Shavemac will continue offering the latter three once the Configurator is decommissioned.

I own a few brushes with what are G5C (I believe) and Tuxedo (I know) fibres and consider them as well middle of the road, so to speak. Judging from comments and reviews, brushes with these fibres seem to appeal to a large number of shavers.

I mention this only to show that there is now a vast range of quality synthetic fibres available and, with a little bit of research, it should be easy to find a synthetic brush that appeals to one’s preferences.

Of course, there will be shavers who just want natural fibres and that bis fine too.
There is little doubt that today a shaver has more choice now than any time before and there is place for all kind of fibres.

B.

B.

Last edited:
I've never owned a Boar brush. On that note, what is the best place to find Semogue brushes? I like to buy directly from the manufacturer when I can, but I have had no success finding a Semogue website for purchases. My Semogue brush has been of fantastic value, and I know they offer Boar versions.

Semogue does not have their own Internet site, but you could try here:

Vintage Scent in Portugal (Vintage Scent – The Vintage Scent Shop - https://vintagescent.com/); they even call themselves “The First and Original Semogue Shaving Brushes online shop.”

I got my Semogue 2023 Barbear Português Limited Edition from them, they were quick and efficient and their prices seem to be slightly lower than Gifts & Care, another European shop carrying Semogue that I often use.

Should you be a repeat Gifts & Care customer (they carry many other shaving products) they will give you a 10% discount code which might make them cheaper than Vintage Scent.

Regarding Simpsons synthetics; as I mentioned today, I own two from their Platinum range and for my taste they could use more backbone. See my comments about synthetics from today (just preceding this post).

B.

Not sure exactly what parts of what threads you've been reading but Shavemac "ISN'T GOING UNDER", they are just closing the configurator is all. They will still be in business and make anyone a brush from a list of standard options much the same as most any other brush maker out there today!!

Did you return the brush you didn't like? Shavemac has been known for quality and their customer service for many years!!
No, didn’t return it. It took 2 months to get to me… thought I wouldn’t bother. It is however, my favorite synthetic brush…just looks goofy.

No, didn’t return it. It took 2 months to get to me… thought I wouldn’t bother. It is however, my favorite synthetic brush…just looks goofy.

I would still let Bernd know even if you plan on keeping the brush. I think he would want to know if there was a problem, and you never know, he may just send you a replacement and tell you to keep the brush you have.

Just landed at Maggard Razors:

Top Bottom