What's new

New Shavemac in Honor of the Configurator Closing

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hopefully @Rudy Vey can make suggestions Jim. I went with his recommendation for the D01 2 band for my flattops, 1:2 ratio no more.

Yes, I've read Rudy's recommendations for flat tops.

I have a good many brushes Rudy made. Some were purchased new from Rudy, so I've worked with him to figure out the best option with the knots, etc. Some, from the BST.

I know a good bit about big knots, but not so much about 22 mm knots. I also know more about Manchurians and two bands than about three bands.

I have one D01 2 band. I like it, but I wouldn't say it's soft (splayed I mean). Maybe it would be softer in a flat top? Maybe it would be softer with a relatively higher loft?

@Balin has an array of 3 bands fans some of which are 22/46.

Yes, I'm familiar with Balin's brushes.

Cal @Cal has a collection of Shavemac D01 2 bands (and other Shavemac brushes). Some of Cal's brushes, most of which have small knots, even down to 16 mm, have high lofts. I've not heard Cal complain about them being floppy, or about them lacking density, or anything.

Have you emailed Bernd for advice?

I have not. From what I hear, he's pretty overwhelmed right now.

a curiosity? why prefer the flat shape?

I had a flat top way back, a Stirling, and liked it pretty well.

In more recent times, I've had several flat tops all of which had Mozingo knots. As far as I know all Mozingo knots are flat tops. My first Mozingo knots were quite large at 28 mm and 26 mm. I decided that I'd try a 24 mm Mozingo because I believed it would be a huge knot at the working end for a knot so small at its base. I was right.

8-18-23.Mergress.Mike's.Ivory.PJ.Mozingo.640.JPG

My 24 mm Mozingo is one of my favorite brushes. According to me, it is huge at the top.

I'm just trying to figure this out in preparation for maybe ordering one or two new Shavemac brushes while the getting is good.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Cal @Cal has a collection of Shavemac D01 2 bands (and other Shavemac brushes). Some of Cal's brushes, most of which are small knots, even down to 16 mm, have high lofts. I've not heard Cal complain about them being floppy, or about them lacking density, or anything.

Been curious about those small but very high lofts myself. I don't believe anyone has ever accused the D01 of being floppy.

Despite the flood of orders, Bernd has actually been quick to reply to my questions. Unfortunately my brushes won't arrive before the deadline or I'd let you know how I get on with the flattops.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got one of the last Mozingo knots available and it is huge... 28mm Fan... but it isn't unwieldy... I was concerned it might be but it's a pleasure to use. I haven't measured the loft but it works nicely in the handle Rudy made for it... in Cobalt Blue.

Like many people here, I trust Rudy to get the loft right. He reknotted three handles for me with ShaveMac Two-band Silvertips...... I donated one of them (I had two of the same handle reknotted) to a friend here who had never tried a badger brush).... so I have one 26mm and one 28mm. The 28mm one is very close to my SV brushes now that is has broken in a bit. I've been using it every shave to apply my pre-shaves so it will find its footing faster.... It's getting lovely. I don't think my face would appreciate the DO1s so I haven't pursued one.... but we are all different, that's for sure.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
the first brush is a 22mm D01 knot?

1-27-24.Bayonetta:Doug's.Beeswax.D01.640.JPG

I'm not sure you're asking about this brush but maybe you are. It is not 22 mm. As I recall it is maybe 27 or 28 mm. It is a D01 two band.​

Maybe you're right, I can take a 22mm or 24mm brush, how do you like the 22mm?
I think the fan or flat shape works well on small knot sizes

Here is my huge Rudy Vey/Mozingo Polo.

Its Mozingo knot is either a flat top or a fan; I'd say flat top if pushed.

The knot is either a 28 mm or a 29 mm extra density Manchurian.

The knot is huge. The handle is huge, too.​

Happy shaves,

Jim
2-14-24.Elite.Mike's.Polo.640.JPG

Cal @Cal has a collection of Shavemac D01 2 bands (and other Shavemac brushes). Some of Cal's brushes, most of which have small knots, even down to 16 mm, have high lofts. I've not heard Cal complain about them being floppy, or about them lacking density, or anything.
14mm, Jim. :wink2:
Been curious about those small but very high lofts myself. I don't believe anyone has ever accused the D01 of being floppy.
Here's two of my favorite tinies (i.e. knots less than 18mm):
2xShavemac-Tinies_2024-02-26.jpg

Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" Silvertip D01 2-Band 14/42 - Shavemac Silvertip D01 16/47 (knot-mm/loft-mm)

Both are excellent brushes. The D01 2-Band (used 169 times) has impressive backbone and soft tips, the D01 (used 136 times) has good backbone and luxury soft tips.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
14mm, Jim. :wink2:

Here's two of my favorite tinies (i.e. knots less than 18mm):
View attachment 1802814
Shavemac "Kleiner Bayer" Silvertip D01 2-Band 14/42 - Shavemac Silvertip D01 16/47 (knot-mm/loft-mm)

Both are excellent brushes. The D01 2-Band (used 169 times) has impressive backbone and soft tips, the D01 (used 136 times) has good backbone and luxury soft tips.

Thanks, Cal, for the precise, meaningful information on these interesting brushes. What's the story with you and these high-lofted Shavemacs? If there are a lot of high-lofted knots on B&B I'm missing most of them.

11-29-23.Taiga.Mike's.PJ.640JPG.JPG

I'm interested in these small flat tops for a specific reason. I think they're bigger than they should be.

This is a 24 mm Mozingo. I'd call it a flat top albeit not 100% textbox. The working end of the knot is huge. It is way larger than you might expect. It's bigger at the top than it should be judging by the bottom.

I believe a smaller flat top would be similarly huge, just smaller. If the loft is right it might be a good and useful brush.

Cal, these knots seem to have worked very nicely for you. How did you come up with those lofts which seem unique to me?

Happy shaves,

Jim

Cal, these knots seem to have worked very nicely for you. How did you come up with those lofts which seem unique to me?
:laugh: As you know, I'm an obsessive experimenter, Jim.

I love badger hair that gives strong backbone... but if the loft is short the brush becomes a lather hog. (I got inspiration from my 13/39 Wee Scot.) My tinies with a 1:3 (knot:loft) ratio all have brilliant flow-through. :cornut:

I'm thinking about ordering this red brush, and interested in your comments about the loft. On the configurator, the default loft is 54 mm, but that seems a bit high to me. Rudy @Rudy Vey has advised (in a recent post on this thread) a 1:2 nominal knot to loft ratio for fans. I've also seen a 22/46 fan which the owner seemed to like a lot.
I am thinking a 22/50 flat top might bloom a bit too big and lose some of the backbone and density.

The middle brush here is a 22/46 flat top.
IMG_20240226_212454.jpg

The left one is my 22/46 fan and the right brush is a 24/50 fan. The flat top has a bigger bloom than either of them.

The face feel of the flat top is more cloud like than the other 2. There is still a small central core of a soft scrub.

If you want to go lower than the 50mm in the configurator tell Bernd in the comments!

I am thinking a 22/50 flat top might bloom a bit too big and lose some of the backbone and density.

The middle brush here is a 22/46 flat top.
View attachment 1802886
The left one is my 22/46 fan and the right brush is a 24/50 fan. The flat top has a bigger bloom than either of them.

The face feel of the flat top is more cloud like than the other 2. There is still a small central core of a soft scrub.

If you want to go lower than the 50mm in the configurator tell Bernd in the comments!
Beautiful brushes
are you better off with the 22x46 or 24x50?
Do you think a 22x46 D01 is suitable for facelathering? Really undecided...or a 22x50? The configurator on the 22mm node gives the default loft as 54 😳

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Some pictures of my flattops from Shavemac and my first Mozingo, which I think is between a flattop and a fan.
First up the little D01 two-band, next to the Mozingo. Then my two-band next to my three band D01.
Some data on the Shavemac knots:
D01-2 is a tad shy of 21 (20.86) mm and has a loft of exactly 42 mm = perfect!!!
D01-3 is 24.1 and has a loft of 46 mm, I think this is a. too big of a knot size and b. too much loft - it splays like crazy and is not a brush I like to use, maybe once a year only, actually I will today, maybe change my mind....

My personal recommendations for a Shavemac flattop is as follows:
D01 two-band hair only
Knots size 18-22 max, I think the sweet spot is 20 mm
Loft for two-band size times 2, if you go bigger, than shorten the loft a bit.
Although the D01-2 band is a thick stiff hair, it is super for a flattop and feels very comfy to me, splays easy. The three band hair I think it too thin, and only a shorter loft would give me a brush I would like = much less splay.
Just my thoughts here.
...you may see the letter R in the big horn handle....

IMG_0207.jpg
IMG_0209.jpg

Some pictures of my flattops from Shavemac and my first Mozingo, which I think is between a flattop and a fan.
First up the little D01 two-band, next to the Mozingo. Then my two-band next to my three band D01.
Some data on the Shavemac knots:
D01-2 is a tad shy of 21 (20.86) mm and has a loft of exactly 42 mm = perfect!!!
D01-3 is 24.1 and has a loft of 46 mm, I think this is a. too big of a knot size and b. too much loft - it splays like crazy and is not a brush I like to use, maybe once a year only, actually I will today, maybe change my mind....

My personal recommendations for a Shavemac flattop is as follows:
D01 two-band hair only
Knots size 18-22 max, I think the sweet spot is 20 mm
Loft for two-band size times 2, if you go bigger, than shorten the loft a bit.
Although the D01-2 band is a thick stiff hair, it is super for a flattop and feels very comfy to me, splays easy. The three band hair I think it too thin, and only a shorter loft would give me a brush I would like = much less splay.
Just my thoughts here.
...you may see the letter R in the big horn handle....

View attachment 1803007View attachment 1803008
Very helpful advice sir
If I would like a facelathering brush with a 22mm D01 knot, what loft do you recommend? 22x50? I exclude the D01 2 band because I think it has too much backbone
fun or flat shape?

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Very helpful advice sir
If I would like a facelathering brush with a 22mm D01 knot, what loft do you recommend? 22x50? I exclude the D01 2 band because I think it has too much backbone
fun or flat shape?
For the fan I would go with 22x48 and for flattop 22 x 44 or 46, don't forget the real number at exit from the handle is about a millimeter more, so you will end up with approx 23x48 for fan, or 23x44 or 46 for the flat. The flat will definitely splay much more than the fan, so I would go for the 44 loft, but then this is just me.

Beautiful brushes
are you better off with the 22x46 or 24x50?
Do you think a 22x46 D01 is suitable for facelathering? Really undecided...or a 22x50? The configurator on the 22mm node gives the default loft as 54 😳
I face lather and 22x46 fan is a favourite. the 24/50 feels almost exactly the same just bigger.

for flattop 22 x 44 or 46, don't forget

I agree with Rudy, I have a 22x46 flat top and would go with 22x44 if I order another.

For the fan I would go with 22x48 and for flattop 22 x 44 or 46, don't forget the real number at exit from the handle is about a millimeter more, so you will end up with approx 23x48 for fan, or 23x44 or 46 for the flat. The flat will definitely splay much more than the fan, so I would go for the 44 loft, but then this is just me.
Thank you, now I have some things clearer

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1709055428841.png

I decided to just order one brush from Shavemac, a D01 three band, flat top. This is the brush but I asked to have the loft set at 44 mm. (I was going by what @Balin said and by what Rudy advised.)

I can always order a second brush from Shavemac tomorrow, or from Rudy down the road.

(The actual price, including shipping, was lower as the VAT was removed.)

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom