What's new

Merkur Super Platinum Rostfrei Stainless

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
This is the exact description on the package of these German blades.
I've been shaving with them exclusively in the last days, since a friend from Germany took them for me.
All I can say is that the Merkur are amazing blades.
They are sharp and very comfortable.
Every shave with these has been a close, smooth, outstanding shave.
The only negative point I can find is that, compared to other high quality blades, they are expensive.
Otherwise, top performer razor blades.:thumbup1:

I think 99.9 % of the members of this forum would agree with me - NO.........

There are dozens of sharper/smoother/cheaper blades out there. OK, they are a decent shave; but at that price ?:tongue_sm

There are dozens of sharper/smoother/cheaper blades out there. OK, they are a decent shave; but at that price ?:tongue_sm
I think Merkur blades get beat on a little because it's the first blade many start with when the begin wetshaving. Individuals are just learning their technique and often they'll come off with a bad shave and associate that to the blade they are using. With that said, I do agree they only give a mediocre shave, which is unacceptable considering they're one of the more expensive blades blades around.

I think Merkur blades get beat on a little because it's the first blade many start with when the begin wetshaving. Individuals are just learning their technique and often they'll come off with a bad shave and associate that to the blade they are using. With that said, I do agree they only give a mediocre shave, which is unacceptable considering they're one of the more expensive blades blades around.

I fully agree. I wrote them off as utter crap as a newbie, but for sake of not spreading bad information, went back, and retested them about 7 months later.

I found them to be usable blades, but basically average all around. Nothing that would make them standout, or warrant their high price tag. Red IPs are just as good, if not better, and only $10 per 100.

Similarly, I feel Derbys only had such good reviews because of their low cost. Put them in 7 O'clock territory pricewise and they are just another average, adequate blade.

Similarly, I feel Derbys only had such good reviews because of their low cost. Put them in 7 O'clock territory pricewise and they are just another average, adequate blade.
I must say, I've had good luck with Derby Extra blades. They shave well and given their price, an excellent value. I presume by 7 O'Clock razor blades you mean the PermaSharp and SharpEdge versions. I found the 7 O'Clock's from Russia to be a little scratchy during break-in and not much sharper than the Derby Extra blades.

Caveat Alert: I'm using the horizontal Derby Extra blades, not the much maligned vertical version.

Last edited:
I started out with the Merkurs as well, since they came with my razor. Chopped my face up pretty badly. But I too came back to them almost two years later, since I had a few packs laying at the bottom of my drawer. I had some very nice shaves from them. In fact, got a BBS shave this morning. It's not my "go to" blade, but certainly one that I'll use on occasion. The price, as has already been mentioned, points me to other blades that I like just as much or more.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

I have already said that Merkur blades are expensive, much more than other quality blades.
And I'm not so sure that the 99.9% of B&B members would agree with you.
Really not.
I'm getting great shaves with these blades, and I suppose I'm not the only one.
Maybe it is better if each person talks about his own experience only.

I started out with the Merkurs as well, since they came with my razor. Chopped my face up pretty badly. But I too came back to them almost two years later, since I had a few packs laying at the bottom of my drawer. I had some very nice shaves from them. In fact, got a BBS shave this morning. It's not my "go to" blade, but certainly one that I'll use on occasion. The price, as has already been mentioned, points me to other blades that I like just as much or more.

I think this could be a reason. Banging around pretty much unprotected in the boxes, they will of course get dinged and give a bad shave.

Caveat Alert: I'm using the vertical Derby Extra blades, not the much maligned horizontal version.

Just an FYI: it's the vertical Derby's that people have trouble with. The older Horizontal Derby's were well regarded as good blades.

I have tried some of the vertical Derby's, and they totally useless unless they are corked. When corked, they are an acceptable blade, un-corked they rip my face to shreds providing tons of weepers.

In my experience, Merkurs are just barely average. 45 cents a pop is more expensive than even Feathers, and more than double the price tag for Wilkinsons or Lords.

They're okay, if your technique is good. Unfortunately for Merkur, other blades are cheaper and give a better shave.

Just an FYI: it's the vertical Derby's that people have trouble with. The older Horizontal Derby's were well regarded as good blades.

I have tried some of the vertical Derby's, and they totally useless unless they are corked. When corked, they are an acceptable blade, un-corked they rip my face to shreds providing tons of weepers.
My apologies, I got it accidently backwards. The motorcycle accident I had on the weekend seems to have rattled my brain. To be clear, my Derby Extras are the ones using the older style packaging (e.g. horizontal).

Since moving back to DE shaving I have been using Merkur blades - a fair few nicks getting to grips with the Merkur HD but now after a couple of weeks no nicks but find I have to shave twice to get a close shave. I am going to try Feathers to see if they perform as good as everybody says.
Cheers
Innes

Top Bottom