What's new

M7 Manchurian Badger - First Impressions

Sigh. Looks like I should count myself fortunate to have Douglas. I'll just pretend it's Manchurian. :wink2:

, I also pictured it with a 3-Band Chubby and a 2-Band Douglas 57.

And the post bloom pictures...

proxy.php

Cheers

Mark

I ordered mine on 2/27 and it just showed up yesterday. Here it is, pre-bloom:

Used it this morning and holy cow...what a great brush! Dense and with great backbone, but still soft. This one is a soap-killer, for sure. Will try to post some pics, post-bloom.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been checking several times every day for the tulip in manchurian to return, and a few minutes ago my persistence paid off. I refreshed the page and the drop down box was there, so I immediately placed my order. Then came here to let everyone know.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I ordered mine on 2/27 and it just showed up yesterday. Here it is, pre-bloom:

Used it this morning and holy cow...what a great brush! Dense and with great backbone, but still soft. This one is a soap-killer, for sure. Will try to post some pics, post-bloom.

proxy.php
Because it's just that good. :thumbup1:

Today I asked my husband, who had just used our M7 Manchurian again last night how well he was liking it and he said, "If I was getting rid of all of my brushes but one, that would be the one I'd keep." :blink: *All of my brushes??? Uh, oh! I know I just got the Manchurian Hive but....... *

Me to S.O., "If we were to get another Manchurian brush, would you like a bigger one? A smaller one? One the same size...? Simpsons just put some more up on their website today......" :innocent:

S.O. to me, "Let me see what they have."

And..... *Yes!* He said, "Order the Tulip 3 Manchurian." :biggrin:

I've been checking several times every day for the tulip in manchurian to return, and a few minutes ago my persistence paid off. I refreshed the page and the drop down box was there, so I immediately placed my order. Then came here to let everyone know.

:thumbup:

Oh, and thanks for the heads up!

Last edited by a moderator:
you guy's are killing me with all these pictures ...

:angel: MUST RESIST TEMPTATION

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!:devil2:

YES; I have lost all control of willpower:letterk1:

:surrender:MUST order M7 Manchurian Badger.

now i have gone and done it, and i blame all of you...

its not my fault, thats my story and I'm sticking with it

bob

Sorry is this has been discussed already (it's a long thread)

How does the Manchurian compare to the two band super hair?

you guy's are killing me with all these pictures ...

:angel: MUST RESIST TEMPTATION

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE!!:devil2:

YES; I have lost all control of willpower:letterk1:

:surrender:MUST order M7 Manchurian Badger.

now i have gone and done it, and i blame all of you...

its not my fault, thats my story and I'm sticking with it

bob

Bob-

Did you really order one? If you did...AWESOME!! And congrats.
And if not...Do it. You know you need it!

Intrigued

Sorry is this has been discussed already (it's a long thread)

How does the Manchurian compare to the two band super hair?

The best comparison I can make is to say that the Manchurian is like a hybrid of Super Three Banded and Super Two Banded. It has a little less scrub than the Two Banded and blooms a little more like the Three Banded. It has backbone more like the Two banded. It makes lather with ease and has great flow through. To me it has an almost perfect blend of the best traits of both types.

I hope this help. :001_smile

Is it prickly at all?

The best comparison I can make is to say that the Manchurian is like a hybrid of Super Three Banded and Super Two Banded. It has a little less scrub than the Two Banded and blooms a little more like the Three Banded. It has backbone more like the Two banded. It makes lather with ease and has great flow through. To me it has an almost perfect blend of the best traits of both types.

I hope this help. :001_smile

Intrigued

Is it prickly at all?

No, not to me. I do usually tend toward softer less scrubby brushes. My normal favorites are my XLs, my GYLE M7, and the LE Chubby 2 in Super. But sometimes I'm in the mood for more scrub, without being prickly. This is that brush.

As a point of reference I have an Emperor 3 in 2 Banded, two Rooney Finest, and Semogue LE Finest Badger 2 that I find too scrubby (prickly). Now keep in mind that my husband loves the Emperor and the Finest. But we both love the Manchurian knots in the M7 and The Hive. It walks the tightrope between too much (for me)and too little (for him).

I got three Manchurians earlier this week to go with my Persian Jar and Tulip. I was away for a few days afterwards and didn't get them sorted out until yesterday.

They're the Butterscotch Rover, Emperor 3 and Langness. One surprise, on opening the boxes, was that the Rover has a larger knot than the much taller and bigger looking Emperor although I don't mind that one bit as it gives me a good variety in the brushes. The specs on the Emperor are 21mm knot & 48mm loft with the Rover being 22mm knot & 52mm loft.

The Langness is a new one to me and caught my eye as I thought it had an overall beautifully balanced shape with the addition of a strong grip due to the wide flare at the handle base. In use, it is indeed comfortable and practical. It's a large brush with a 27mm knot and 56mm loft. As I prepared it last yesterday, I also shaved with the Langness. I would say that it is every bit as densely packed as the Persian Jar 3 (26mm knot and 54mm loft) while the extra height gives good movement and, probably because of that feature, it has bloomed out wonderfully well already. In comparison, the 48mm lofted Emperor feels the firmest of all the Manchurians and has bloomed least. Although some people enjoy that character, I wouldn't be too fussed on an overly firm brush but I've no doubt it will soften up with use later and become more luxurious.

One thing I have picked up already is that the Manchurian badger has great flow through and so requires less product than the equivalent 3-Band Supers. While it has a stronger backbone than the 3-Band, the tips are every bit as soft feeling. So what I doing with them, and it seems to work well enough in my own experience, is to apply the brush lightly to my face with just enough pressure to lather properly and it gives the same feel as a 3-Band with the benefit of that extra backbone available to give a great soap/cream mixing and lathering variety, if desired, with less product used too. If I didn't shave for a couple of days, as I found this weekend for example, I would lean into it some more and lather the beard area that bit firmer, giving an application like the 2-Band usually does. My favourite hair, without a doubt, is this Manchurian.

Some pictures as they arrived,

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Then post-bloom,

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My Manchurian group,

proxy.php

And all the gang,

proxy.php

proxy.php

Skol,

Mark

beautiful brushes ,fantastic photos ....this was a real pleasure to read,and very infomative...the langness is advertised as a 24mm knot...did you custom order that 27mm knot ? also,have they produced a duke 3 or chubby one in manchurian yet ?

beautiful brushes ,fantastic photos ....this was a real pleasure to read,and very infomative...the langness is advertised as a 24mm knot...did you custom order that 27mm knot ? also,have they produced a duke 3 or chubby one in manchurian yet ?

Thank you for the kind words, Malocchio.

No, I just ordered it and those were the measurements.

About the Chubby, I haven't seen the #1 in Manchurian yet but Mark has said that he is willing to do custom pieces so it would maybe just be a matter of asking for one to be made up. I'm sure the Duke 3 would be the same. For example, I asked for the Persian Jar 3 in Manchurian and that was alright with a fortnight's waiting time.

Mark

Intrigued

proxy.php

What a beautiful group of Manchurians to go with the rest of your Simpson family! A great review and wonderful pictures too.

Top Bottom