What's new

M7 Manchurian Badger - First Impressions

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
I like the handle shape of the M7 but notice that the knot is a bit smaller for some reason with Manchurian Badger than it is with the Silvertip. I like the Tulip 3 but it looks like those are all gone. A Chubby would be sweet but the price really goes up on those. I hardly need another brush but I am tempted. I'm fond of larger knots and am not sure if the 22.5 knot on the M7 Manchurian Badger would be big enough. It might be okay if it gets enough bloom during use.

The knot on my M7 Manchurian measures 25mm at the base and has a loft of 51mm. You might want to email Mark and see if he can pick one out for you.

I like the handle shape of the M7 but notice that the knot is a bit smaller for some reason with Manchurian Badger than it is with the Silvertip. I like the Tulip 3 but it looks like those are all gone. A Chubby would be sweet but the price really goes up on those. I hardly need another brush but I am tempted. I'm fond of larger knots and am not sure if the 22.5 knot on the M7 Manchurian Badger would be big enough. It might be okay if it gets enough bloom during use.

I too want a tulip 3 manchurian, so I emailed Mark and he said they're making some more. Just don't get to it before me.

I too want a tulip 3 manchurian, so I emailed Mark and he said they're making some more. Just don't get to it before me.

I emailed him a few hours ago so haven't heard back yet but glad to hear more will be made. You can have the first one. I'm going to have a hard time deciding between the M7 and a Tulip3.

The knot on my M7 Manchurian measures 25mm at the base and has a loft of 51mm. You might want to email Mark and see if he can pick one out for you.

Do you have the email direct to Mark? This brush is calling me like Kryptonite! I do favor larger knots though, want to make sure.

Intrigued

"The Hive" in Manchurian Badger arrived yesterday along with a complimentary tub of Vulfix Luxury English Rose Shaving Cream. A week from the Isle of Man to here, now that was fast.

$Hive pre-bloom.jpg $Hive pre-bloom 2.jpg

M7 Manchurian with "The Hive" post-bloom
$Manchurian M7 & Hive.jpg:001_wub:

The Hive has the heaviest handle of any of my brushes. It has a solid grip and a funky charm. The knot measures 23mm at the base with a loft of 50mm. The Manchurian Badger Hair continues to impress me as does the Vulfix shaving cream. I used the Rose shaving cream for a couple of test lathers. With the combination of that brush with that cream I had some monster lather going on.

Later in the day I loaded the brush with some MWF and face lathered with it when I showered. I am really liking this Manchurian Badger hair that Simpsons has sourced. As with the Manchurian M7, I experienced a really nice degree of scrubbiness without scratch, great backbone, and a wonderful ability to create and release lather.

Hopefully others will post their impressions of their Manchurian Brushes soon. I think I may be losing my battle with objectivity about mine. :blushing:

Wow, Intrigued, that's a real beauty!

I haven't tested my CH2 Manchurian on the face, but I quite agree it seems a really good balance between2 and 3 band super. Great backbone, not scratch and the best hair I've tried in terms of lathering ability. It's surprising how it puts the lather on the tips. Not a lather hog, not so firm it takes the lather out. It blooms just enough to hold the lather without turning into a mushroom.

Gaaak! You folks have finally done it to me. Just arranged for a Manchurian PL8 to head my way from the Isle of Man. And here I was CONVINCED I did not need any more brushes! :blushing:

I'm quite sure I don't need any more brushes either but that M7 really appeals to me. We're leaving on vacation in the morning so I have convinced myself to hold off as I don't want it to arrive while I'm gone. I'll sip a few margaritas while on the beach and mull this over but I'll probably order one next week.

oh man! Ordered mine a week ago too, but it's gotta get from the UK to the East Coast and then back to Europe by APO mail. I'm jealous!

"The Hive" in Manchurian Badger arrived yesterday along with a complimentary tub of Vulfix Luxury English Rose Shaving Cream. A week from the Isle of Man to here, now that was fast.

View attachment 225278 View attachment 225279

M7 Manchurian with "The Hive" post-bloom
View attachment 225280:001_wub:

The Hive has the heaviest handle of any of my brushes. It has a solid grip and a funky charm. The knot measures 23mm at the base with a loft of 50mm. The Manchurian Badger Hair continues to impress me as does the Vulfix shaving cream. I used the Rose shaving cream for a couple of test lathers. With the combination of that brush with that cream I had some monster lather going on.

Later in the day I loaded the brush with some MWF and face lathered with it when I showered. I am really liking this Manchurian Badger hair that Simpsons has sourced. As with the Manchurian M7, I experienced a really nice degree of scrubbiness without scratch, great backbone, and a wonderful ability to create and release lather.

Hopefully others will post their impressions of their Manchurian Brushes soon. I think I may be losing my battle with objectivity about mine. :blushing:

Intrigued

Gaaak! You folks have finally done it to me. Just arranged for a Manchurian PL8 to head my way from the Isle of Man. And here I was CONVINCED I did not need any more brushes! :blushing:

"Need" is such a relative word. :001_tongu

oh man! Ordered mine a week ago too, but it's gotta get from the UK to the East Coast and then back to Europe by APO mail. I'm jealous!

Oh.... That's got to be hard waiting for things to get to you, especially in this case. :bored:

Hello again,

I've been quiet on the forums recently but have been keeping up to date with these new brushes. I hope it's alright for me to post here on Intrigued's thread.

Last month I placed an order and, while waiting on that to arrive, some new brushes appeared on the website and I purchased a Manchurian Tulip 3. My previous order also arrived and, although I haven't shaved with it yet, I can take some pictures of a Manchurian Persian Jar 3 if there was any interest in that one?

Back to the Tulip and in use, well, to date I've used the Tulip twice and it is a great shaving brush. Without wanting to rehash other people's opinions, I also feel that Manchurian sits between the 2 and 3-Band Super. It has the 2-Bands excellent flow through while having the soft tips and an overall gentler feeling while lathering like the luxurious 3-Band. In bloom, it also sits between the two having opened out nicely. The knot shape appears to be a hybrid of the fan and bulb shapes - it's definitely not strictly one or the other. I feel that, given a few more shaves, it will develop into an even better brush. While the hairs strong backbone and knot packing will preserve the overall density and springiness feel, the tips should open up and soften, even further. On the Tulip itself, well it's simply one of the finest feeling handles available and I think it's great for both grip and comfort.

I photographed the Tulip pre and post bloom. In the post bloom shots, the hair was slightly damp which means that some tips are joined together where they would be free when dry and there is an odd stray so bear that in mind. But it's not exactly clogged either so I think it gives a fair and everyday user image of the knot. To help give an idea of this hair in comparison to others, I also pictured it with a 3-Band Chubby and a 2-Band Douglas 57.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And the post bloom pictures...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cheers

Mark

Hello again,

I've been quiet on the forums recently but have been keeping up to date with these new brushes. I hope it's alright for me to post here on Intrigued's thread.

Last month I placed an order and, while waiting on that to arrive, some new brushes appeared on the website and I purchased a Manchurian Tulip 3. My previous order also arrived and, although I haven't shaved with it yet, I can take some pictures of a Manchurian Persian Jar 3 if there was any interest in that one?

Back to the Tulip and in use, well, to date I've used the Tulip twice and it is a great shaving brush. Without wanting to rehash other people's opinions, I also feel that Manchurian sits between the 2 and 3-Band Super. It has the 2-Bands excellent flow through while having the soft tips and an overall gentler feeling while lathering like the luxurious 3-Band. In bloom, it also sits between the two having opened out nicely. The knot shape appears to be a hybrid of the fan and bulb shapes - it's definitely not strictly one or the other. I feel that, given a few more shaves, it will develop into an even better brush. While the hairs strong backbone and knot packing will preserve the overall density and springiness feel, the tips should open up and soften, even further. On the Tulip itself, well it's simply one of the finest feeling handles available and I think it's great for both grip and comfort.

I photographed the Tulip pre and post bloom. In the post bloom shots, the hair was slightly damp which means that some tips are joined together where they would be free when dry and there is an odd stray so bear that in mind. But it's not exactly clogged either so I think it gives a fair and everyday user image of the knot. To help give an idea of this hair in comparison to others, I also pictured it with a 3-Band Chubby and a 2-Band Douglas 57.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And the post bloom pictures...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Cheers

Mark

Wow! that Tulip is gorgeous.

Intrigued

I totally agree. All your new brushes are real beauties, but the Tulip..... :001_tt1:

Thanks Mark, for adding your impressions of the Manchurian Badger. The more the merrier, either here or in separate threads. I really wanted (still do) to hear what others think about the Manchurian's qualities.

I totally agree. All your new brushes are real beauties, but the Tulip..... :001_tt1:

Thanks Mark, for adding your impressions of the Manchurian Badger. The more the merrier, either here or in separate threads. I really wanted (still do) to hear what others think about the Manchurian's qualities.

Cheers :001_smile

The Tulip is a nice one, I was intending to buy one Manchurian to see how they were but couldn't resist it. I'm happy now that I caved in!

I've been preparing my latest two arrivals - including the Manchurian Persian Jar I mentioned earlier. It's a brush which doesn't get a lot of general attention and I fancied it as something different from the usual pieces we see. To be honest, I was a little worried that the PJ3 would be too large but it's not, just a nice step up. The brush which arrived with it, the Hive in 2-Band, was a surprise as I was incorrectly expecting it to be a small brush - and it's definitely not that. I never read any specs on it and had always saw it pictured on it's own, giving me the wrong image in my mind. I would describe it as a large medium size in their range.

I'm washing them up now and will take some pictures later. From my lathering, etc so far I think this Manchurian knot on the PJ is slightly denser than the Tulip and feels that bit firmer when pressing down, although the tips are the same softness.

Mark

Intrigued

Cheers :001_smile

The Tulip is a nice one, I was intending to buy one Manchurian to see how they were but couldn't resist it. I'm happy now that I caved in!

I've been preparing my latest two arrivals - including the Manchurian Persian Jar I mentioned earlier. It's a brush which doesn't get a lot of general attention and I fancied it as something different from the usual pieces we see. To be honest, I was a little worried that the PJ3 would be too large but it's not, just a nice step up. The brush which arrived with it, the Hive in 2-Band, was a surprise as I was incorrectly expecting it to be a small brush - and it's definitely not that. I never read any specs on it and had always saw it pictured on it's own, giving me the wrong image in my mind. I would describe it as a large medium size in their range.

I'm washing them up now and will take some pictures later. From my lathering, etc so far I think this Manchurian knot on the PJ is slightly denser than the Tulip and feels that bit firmer when pressing down, although the tips are the same softness.

Mark

:lol: I read the specs on the Hive and knew it was bigger/taller then I had pictured it in my mind. I was still surprised by the bulk and weight of it the first time I picked it up. The Hive was my second Manchurian and I too am glad I caved.

Some pictures of the Manchurian Persian Jar 3 below.

I've started by showing it with the Hive which I got at the same time, then pictured it with the official Simpson measurement yard-stick, a Colonel, to help give an idea of size :w00t:

First of all pre-bloom,

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now post-bloom,

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Now the Manchurian PJ3 being squeezed by a 3-Band Super Colonel and a 2-Band Super Hive,

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And, for a bit of fun, a group shot,

proxy.php

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
Top Bottom