What's new

I haven't found the right badger brush yet...

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I already voiced my opinion..... but for $100, I'm not sure you can beat the complete Zenith M23 Manchurian badger. I like the handle but perhaps you might prefer something other than that handle design or the solid copper.... if you like a gentle scrub feel.... no scritch, after it's broken in. Mine was much easier to break in than Jim's... Mine felt nice right out of the box and continued to improve as I used it.

I like the 28mm ShaveMac Two-Band Silvertip Rudy installed in one of my favorite handles as much as the Zenith.... but that ends up being a bit more than $100, unless Rudy has some 28mm handles sitting around... a canceled order or something.

Last edited:
Have you tried Perfecto? Extremely affordable at $19 on Amazon, Amazon.com - https://a.co/d/3RN9HhM , makes you feel like it is worthless. Consumers esp if uneducated or misinformed about product X) people think cheap = poor quality, when that is not always true. Perfecto has 13,000 reviewed averaging 4.4 stars. Anything with such high stats = high quality and consistency.

Vikings has a genuine badger brush for $9, but that reaches he price point of What?! That one does sound too cheap. Dunno.

In general, the Perfecto gives you comfort, value, performance, and very good lather from the brush. The bristles are soft but firm, and hold a lather nicely. Performance-wise, it works well to lather up shaving cream/puck and that it helps make a foamy lather that outperforms store bought creams. It also looks great (several choices of wood color). Go for it!
@albsat

The Perfecto on Amazon is likely a poor brush choice based on a more detailed evaluation of its Amazon reviews as follows:
  • Top two star Amazon review (1/2/24 from RJP) indicates that this is a tiny 18mm knot that is far smaller that what is implied in the photos. The actual web listing never states what the size of this brush is, likely for this reason. In fact the photography used on the web listing creates the misleading impression of a much larger brush via the use of magnified images. For new folks here any brush listing without the knot dimensions should be a red flag.
  • 100's of reviews with low ratings noting that the brush rapidly sheds and quickly falls apart - not good value.
  • Most of the recent good reviews are brief one-liners that often say nothing other than "still have it", "shaving"or "smooth shave". One has to question how valid or real these review are.
  • When one clicks on "see all photos" roughly half the photos posted with reviews show a brush that has fallen apart - not a good sign.
  • Lots of complaints about uncomfortable bristles. One reviewer was surprised that this brush needed to be broken in like a boar brush. Another questions if the know was really 100% badger hair.
I could go on but the bottom line here is that this brush is not good value for the money. A real badger brush for under $20 really is too good to be true. For our newer members looking for a quality brush for under $20 they would be better off with one of the many synthetics or, if a stiffer knot is preferred a nice boar brush. There are great options of these types with nice sized knots for under $15. A good badger brush will likely cost significantly more than $20. Albat, lots of reviews here and elsewhere on B&B from members who actually own and use the badger brushes they are reviewing.

Phdezra, Welcome to B&B, I see you just joined 10 days ago and already have over 250 posts. We are glad to have a new member with so much enthusiasm. For your future reference one can't accurately judge a product on Amazon just based on the number of reviews. Too many fake reviews and in many cases vendors change to a totally different and inferior product using the same old SKU number to create the impression of positive reviews that do not apply. Different vendors can also supply different versions of the same product. Additionally many reviewers often post a quick review after receiving a product before they've ever used it. A detailed look, such as the one above, or use of other reliable sources are required to accurately vet Amazon products.

Have you tried Perfecto? Extremely affordable at $19 on Amazon, https://a.co/d/3RN9HhM , makes you feel like it is worthless. Consumers esp if uneducated or misinformed about product X) people think cheap = poor quality, when that is not always true. Perfecto has 13,000 reviewed averaging 4.4 stars. Anything with such high stats = high quality and consistency.

In general, the Perfecto gives you comfort, value, performance, and very good lather from the brush. The bristles are soft but firm, and hold a lather nicely. Performance-wise, it works well to lather up shaving cream/puck and that it helps make a foamy lather that outperforms store bought creams. It also looks great (several choices of wood color). Go for it!
It’s a decent brush for the price point but not one I’d want knowing what I know now. Better options out there for the money

@albsat

The Perfecto on Amazon is likely a poor brush choice based on a more detailed evaluation of its Amazon reviews as follows:
  • Top two star Amazon review (1/2/24 from RJP) indicates that this is a tiny 18mm knot that is far smaller that what is implied in the photos. The actual web listing never states what the size of this brush is, likely for this reason. In fact the photography used on the web listing creates the misleading impression of a much larger brush via the use of magnified images. For new folks here any brush listing without the knot dimensions should be a red flag.
  • 100's of reviews with low ratings noting that the brush rapidly sheds and quickly falls apart - not good value.
  • Most of the recent good reviews are brief one-liners that often say nothing other than "still have it", "shaving"or "smooth shave". One has to question how valid or real these review are.
  • When one clicks on "see all photos" roughly half the photos posted with reviews show a brush that has fallen apart - not a good sign.
  • Lots of complaints about uncomfortable bristles. One reviewer was surprised that this brush needed to be broken in like a boar brush. Another questions if the know was really 100% badger hair.
I could go on but the bottom line here is that this brush is not good value for the money. A real badger brush for under $20 really is too good to be true. For our newer members looking for a quality brush for under $20 they would be better off with one of the many synthetics or, if a stiffer knot is preferred a nice boar brush. There are great options of these types with nice sized knots for under $15. A good badger brush will likely cost significantly more than $20. Albat, lots of reviews here and elsewhere on B&B from members who actually own and use the badger brushes they are reviewing.

Phdezra, Welcome to B&B, I see you just joined 10 days ago and already have over 250 posts. We are glad to have a new member with so much enthusiasm. For your future reference one can't accurately judge a product on Amazon just based on the number of reviews. Too many fake reviews and in many cases vendors change to a totally different and inferior product using the same old SKU number to create the impression of positive reviews that do not apply. Different vendors can also supply different versions of the same product. Additionally many reviewers often post a quick review after receiving a product before they've ever used it. A detailed look, such as the one above, or use of other reliable sources are required to accurately vet Amazon products.
I have two of them that I got 5-6 years ago. They’re definitely on the small side. When I got mine they were listed as having 24mm knots but as we all know companies like to change their products over time. A lot of them are decreasing sizes/amounts and uping the price. I don’t use my perfectos anymore because I find them too small and uncomfortable

It’s a decent brush for the price point but not one I’d want knowing what I know now. Better options out there for the money

I have two of them that I got 5-6 years ago. They’re definitely on the small side. When I got mine they were listed as having 24mm knots but as we all know companies like to change their products over time. A lot of them are decreasing sizes/amounts and uping the price. I don’t use my perfectos anymore because I find them too small and uncomfortable
Thank you for posting. Your experience is consistent with many of the negative Amazon reviews.

Hello all,

During these last years of shaving, I have tried several brushes. The most reliable ones were my 3 boar brushes and 2 synthetic ones. By reliable I mean they were exactly as most described here.

I have tried 4 badger brushes and I do have them still. One was an Alpha silvertip, one is Yaqi moka, one is a 2 band manchurian from oumo and one is a finest vintage.

The most I enjoyed was the Yaqi which had a lovely scrub. However like all of them, apart the vintage one (which has a strong scritch) have lost their scrub after some usage. They take space in my den and I am not using any of them for many months.

I want to give another try but badger brushes are so unique and you never know. I don't know if I should go for a premium knot too.

Any tips? Get a specific badger brush or continue to rely on my mondial, zenith, omega boar brushes?

I love pleasant scrub and good backbone in a brush.
So far the best I have tried is the semogue soc in finest badger, absolutely wonderful brush

Relax guys. My 4 badger brushes purchases have taught me well enough on experience to not spent money in 20 usd brushes.

My choice after some consideration would be :
Mistura, Zenith manchurian. Maybe I would give Oumo another try...

Hello all,

During these last years of shaving, I have tried several brushes. The most reliable ones were my 3 boar brushes and 2 synthetic ones. By reliable I mean they were exactly as most described here.

I have tried 4 badger brushes and I do have them still. One was an Alpha silvertip, one is Yaqi moka, one is a 2 band manchurian from oumo and one is a finest vintage.

The most I enjoyed was the Yaqi which had a lovely scrub. However like all of them, apart the vintage one (which has a strong scritch) have lost their scrub after some usage. They take space in my den and I am not using any of them for many months.

I want to give another try but badger brushes are so unique and you never know. I don't know if I should go for a premium knot too.

Any tips? Get a specific badger brush or continue to rely on my mondial, zenith, omega boar brushes?

I love pleasant scrub and good backbone in a brush.
The Adam Grooming's / Muhle Rytmo has been my heavy lifter for over 2 years. By that, it has been used for both bowl and face lathering for better than 70% of my shaves covering that span. Though the knot is on the smaller end, I find the fan shape very accommodating. The Muhle is fairly moderate on pricing as well.

full

full

If you like scrub, a Shavemac D01 two-band would be my recommendation!! This knot has a very nice backbone/scrub, but is not scritchy at all.

The Master speaks!! :thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

My personal preference is 2-band or Silvertip. The D01 is just too much. But that’s me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Boar are a staple already. I will never get rid of this trio of boar brushes :
Mondial boar
Omega Proraso
Zenith unbleached 507

I have two synthetics, Yaqi Rainbow and Epsilion plissoft hair that are very good.

I didn't hit the center with the badger brushes so far. 4 badger brushes and none a winner for my needs.

Nothing wrong with sticking with boars. I like 'em a lot myself.

Wet.Boars.Ship-Shaped.640..2-23-18.JPG

My boar collection has changed/enlarged since I washed this group and set them out to dry. I like badgers, too, but that doesn't mean you will or should. Finding a great badger is a whole lot harder and more expensive than finding a great boar, unless you get very lucky.

In my opinion, one option, already mentioned, an option you're very likely to enjoy using, would be a Semogue Mistura. The knot is hard to beat as it combines some of the best attributes of boar and badger. You might benefit from this thread if you're considering a mixed knot. The scrub is truly wonderful.

You undoubtedly know that the price of a knot increases as the size of the knot increases. You didn't mention what size knot you're interested in. Also I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you want to purchase a knot and put it in an existing handle you already own or have someone do that for you? Conversely are you looking for a brush?

Rudy Vey made this handle and installed a Shavemac D01 two band. I wouldn't call it soft, but it has huge scrub and enormous backbone.

I have used the knot a lot, but sometimes think it may not yet be broken in.

These cost far more than $100 though.​
10-3-22.X1.CanadaSS.RV-DO1.640.JPG

There are a great many possible options including brushes (handle and knot) for $100 or less. I enjoy my Maseto badger brushes and one of the Stirling badgers I purchased years ago all of which were well below $100. Zenith makes quite nice three band silvertips and excellent Manchurians which are less than $100.

1-3-24.WR2-1.35.Mike's.ZenCopMan.640.JPG

My copper handled Zenith Manchurian is very soft, but also has delicious scrub and plenty of it as well as enormous backbone.

Breaking it in to this degree required well over a hundred uses, but it was worth the wait.

It is a fantastic brush.​
I also favor this olivewood Zenith Manchurian, but it is a much different knot from the one above. This one reminds me of my Simpson Manchurian, but I like this knot better than the Simpson and it cost a whole lot less.​
11.25.23.Taiga.Mike's.Rave's.640.JPG

Don't get me wrong on this. I have a number of high end, expensive brushes. I'm very glad to have them. As much as I like them, it would be incorrect of me to say they're in another world from a lowly Stirling finest or a Yaqi two band or three band.

1-13-24.Bayonetta.Mike's.Stirling.640.JPG

This Stirling brush is not longer available. It's larger and has a higher loft than their current offerings, but it's one of my favorite brushes.

However, you might not like it.

Some of this badger preference stuff is a matter of taste.​
Stirling26mmFinest.640..png

Some is a matter of luck and timing.

5-9-23.EnglandTech.Mike'sSV.Tortoise.640.JPG

Some of my very favorite brushes are SV beauties. For a long time I thought they sounded great but were too small. Boy, was I wrong. The knots are plenty big as are the handles. In my opinion, this is perhaps a nearly perfect knot as it has a great balance of qualities including great flow through. The price of these varies a lot by vendor meaning there are relative bargains out there, but none are close to $100.

Had I purchased one of these SV 2.0 brushes years ago I might have saved myself a lot of money. They're that good, according to me and many others, but that doesn't mean one would suit you.

The big problem is finding what you like best without trying a huge number of knots. I've found that I enjoy a wide range of knots, but I've also discovered there are knots I hate. You might love knots I hate and vice versa.

Good luck with this quest.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Nothing wrong with sticking with boars. I like 'em a lot myself.

View attachment 1786736

My boar collection has changed/enlarged since I washed this group and set them out to dry. I like badgers, too, but that doesn't mean you will or should. Finding a great badger is a whole lot harder and more expensive than finding a great boar, unless you get very lucky.

In my opinion, one option, already mentioned, an option you're very likely to enjoy using, would be a Semogue Mistura. The knot is hard to beat as it combines some of the best attributes of boar and badger. You might benefit from this thread if you're considering a mixed knot. The scrub is truly wonderful.

You undoubtedly know that the price of a knot increases as the size of the knot increases. You didn't mention what size knot you're interested in. Also I'm a bit confused. Are you saying you want to purchase a knot and put it in an existing handle you already own or have someone do that for you? Conversely are you looking for a brush?

Rudy Vey made this handle and installed a Shavemac D01 two band. I wouldn't call it soft, but it has huge scrub and enormous backbone.

I have used the knot a lot, but sometimes think it may not yet be broken in.

These cost far more than $100 though.​
View attachment 1786721

There are a great many possible options including brushes (handle and knot) for $100 or less. I enjoy my Maseto badger brushes and one of the Stirling badgers I purchased years ago all of which were well below $100. Zenith makes quite nice three band silvertips and excellent Manchurians which are less than $100.

View attachment 1786722
My copper handled Zenith Manchurian is very soft, but also has delicious scrub and plenty of it as well as enormous backbone.

Breaking it in to this degree required well over a hundred uses, but it was worth the wait.

It is a fantastic brush.​
I also favor this olivewood Zenith Manchurian, but it is a much different knot from the one above. This one reminds me of my Simpson Manchurian, but I like this knot better than the Simpson and it cost a whole lot less.​
View attachment 1786724

Don't get me wrong on this. I have a number of high end, expensive brushes. I'm very glad to have them. As much as I like them, it would be incorrect of me to say they're in another world from a lowly Stirling finest or a Yaqi two band or three band.

View attachment 1786718
This Stirling brush is not longer available. It's larger and has a higher loft than their current offerings, but it's one of my favorite brushes.

However, you might not like it.

Some of this badger preference stuff is a matter of taste.​
View attachment 1786717

Some is a matter of luck and timing.

View attachment 1786741

Some of my very favorite brushes are SV beauties. For a long time I thought they sounded great but were too small. Boy, was I wrong. The knots are plenty big as are the handles. In my opinion, this is perhaps a nearly perfect knot as it has a great balance of qualities including great flow through. The price of these varies a lot by vendor meaning there are relative bargains out there, but none are close to $100.

Had I purchased one of these SV 2.0 brushes years ago I might have saved myself a lot of money. They're that good, according to me and many others, but that doesn't mean one would suit you.

The big problem is finding what you like best without trying a huge number of knots. I've found that I enjoy a wide range of knots, but I've also discovered there are knots I hate. You might love knots I hate and vice versa.

Good luck with this quest.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Fantastic review on brushes @Chan Eil Whiskers. Excellent collection. A must read for newbies.

I would look at the Zenith Manchurian brushes. My Zenith Manchurian M5 has plenty of backbone but not as scritchy as my Simpson Manchurian. The M5 is scrubbier than some brushes due to its 51 mm loft. Great for face lathering.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I had 23 brushes at one point...... but near the end of my search, as I followed @Chan Eil Whiskers /Jim's lead, I bought the brushes I kept and love.... Jim lead my to my first badger: the Zenith Manchurian. Mine has the 506 copper handle... the same shape as the olive wood handle Jim posted above..... Then I got my first SV brush from @SgtCrppls after I read Jim's impressions of them... and ended up buying 3 more. I added a Mozingo knot with a Rudy Vey handle as the last brush I bought during that final phase of my brush buying frenzy after Jim and @flask28 recommended them highly.

Since then, Rudy re-knotted three brushes of mine... ones I loved the handles but hated the knots. He used the ShaveMac Two-band Silvertips for me... 2 26mm and one 28mm.

So my 23 brushes have been reduced to 7 badgers and 4 boars.... If I was starting out and wanted a good starting badger brush that didn't break the bank.... I'd still get the Zenith Manchurian in a handle I loved. If you like it... and want to invest a bit more as time goes on.... there are some great brushes out there, but you usually end up paying a bit more, or at least, I did.

There are a number of good brush guys here.... I ended up following Jim's advice because I found out, I like the same face feel as he does. I wish I would gotten to know him a bit earlier than I did, as I would have saved a Lot of time and money.

I had 23 brushes at one point...... but near the end of my search, as I followed @Chan Eil Whiskers /Jim's lead, I bought the brushes I kept and love.... Jim lead my to my first badger: the Zenith Manchurian. Mine has the 506 copper handle... the same shape as the olive wood handle Jim posted above..... Then I got my first SV brush from @SgtCrppls after I read Jim's impressions of them... and ended up buying 3 more. I added a Mozingo knot with a Rudy Vey handle as the last brush I bought during that final phase of my brush buying frenzy after Jim and @flask28 recommended them highly.

Since then, Rudy re-knotted three brushes of mine... ones I loved the handles but hated the knots. He used the ShaveMac Two-band Silvertips for me... 2 26mm and one 28mm.

So my 23 brushes have been reduced to 7 badgers and 4 boars.... If I was starting out and wanted a good starting badger brush that didn't break the bank.... I'd still get the Zenith Manchurian in a handle I loved. If you like it... and want to invest a bit more as time goes on.... there are some great brushes out there, but you usually end up paying a bit more, or at least, I did.

There are a number of good brush guys here.... I ended up following Jim's advice because I found out, I like the same face feel as he does. I wish I would gotten to know him a bit earlier than I did, as I would have saved a Lot of time and money.
Me and Jim share almost the same taste in the mutual boar brushes that we have. His comments confirmed my intuition to go for a Semogue. Mistura or a Zenith Manchurian.

I just have to create the budget now and not spent on other shaving hardware. 😂 😂

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I loved my two Mistura brushes... my problem was I fell in love with slightly bigger knots. The Zenith Manchurian is 27.5mm and has more hmmmm presence, I think, I'd call it. I think you'd like either of them.... or over time.. getting both.

Yeah, I've been budgeting and saving for the few things left on my "must buy" list.

Top Bottom