What's new

Leresche French DE razors

The notable exception to the problem of many French razors that lose their plating soon after they leave the factory is the highly esteemed Leresche family of razors. Of course we all know the great posting of Stefan (aka Moshulu) so I don't want to belabor the story behind this company. But it should be noted that they apparently provided much of the manufacturing for other French razors (including Apollo and Kirby Beard). I've acquired a few but just recently picked up this price sheet. Must be a pre-WWII piece. Helped identify some of these items, but not that mint Bakelite handled open open comb razor.

proxy.php

Some of the family here.
proxy.php

The set that's still wrapped up is an unusual open comb model not mentioned on the price sheet.
proxy.php

proxy.php

The Bakelite set got unwrapped and is a good companion for the #77 model.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Plating's held up quite well. Is it nickel and silver? Perhaps.
proxy.php

The Deluxe sets are provided in these beautiful leather cases.

Anyone have others they want to share? Please add them here or in your own Leresche thread.

I have the #77 Leresche and i agree, the plating is weak, it seems to be nickel. I love the shave results, very smooth yet aggressive.
proxy.php

This is the next razor I want to own. I think I want a Kirby with the scalloped heads, or does Leresche make that model as well? I can't pay the crazy prices some of them go for, I'll have to find one that needs some work.

This is the next razor I want to own. I think I want a Kirby with the scalloped heads, or does Leresche make that model as well? I can't pay the crazy prices some of them go for, I'll have to find one that needs some work.

I seen only the Kirby with that look.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Leresche razors

proxy.php
proxy.php

The French razors generally have lots of style, but the Leresche razors really are the best constructed. The only one I have is a #51, but it is a very nice, smooth, mild razor.

Jake, do you have any Le Coq razors?

That is my vote for the next stop on the Jake's Museum Tour ...

The French razors generally have lots of style, but the Leresche razors really are the best constructed. The only one I have is a #51, but it is a very nice, smooth, mild razor.

Jake, do you have any Le Coq razors?

That is my vote for the next stop on the Jake's Museum Tour ...
I've sold all the Le Coq French razors I had. They are somewhat classy, but ultimately were not to my liking. But I'm sire there's someone with a nice collection.

I have a couple of Le Coq but the nicest is an adjustable one.
asset.php

Attachments

• $le Coq in box.JPG
    $le Coq in box.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 512
  • $le Coq broken down.JPG
    $le Coq broken down.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 510
  • $$_12 (2).jpg
    $$_12 (2).jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 512
Last edited:
I'll post a scan of the price sheet later, but for those of you wanting to see the page unencumbered with razors, here's a simple lo-res photo. And by the way, the flyer actually has a date stamp on it, likely referring to the last iteration of this price sheet. I was wrong about it being from before WWII, the date is 15-9-50 (sEPTEMBER 9, 1950). So it's obvious that Leresche survived the War and was still making razors in the early 1950s.

Attachments

• $leresche-1.jpg
    $leresche-1.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Thank you for showing the varieties as they are not as well known as others and there's not much information on the varieties Leresche made. I have the #34 which is a combination Brass/Aluminum cased. The brass is the top cap and collar of the handle.

Last edited:
Very nice pictures, Jake. Thanks for sharing.

The guard bars of the #77 and the mint bakelite handled razor look similar in design. On the #77 the guard bars are incorporated into the blade cap - it would be interesting to know if these two razors shave similar.
Is it the placement of the guard bars that result in the excellent shaving results or is the reason the special design of the guard bars?

Here is a more detailed view of the front & back sides of the Leresche sales flyer/price list. Will help you locate your favorite model & determine the prices in 1950.

Attachments

• $leresche-2.jpg
    $leresche-2.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 523
  • $leresche-1.jpg
    $leresche-1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 370
  • $leresche-0.jpg
    $leresche-0.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 362
Jake, that is wonderful! Thanks for posting. I did just as you suggested and looked up my favorite (and only) Leresche: #51. Back in the 1940's, it would have been a pretty nice bit of shaving kit.

Top Bottom