What's new

Superior Cuts 3-D Printed Razor

@Cal

How would you compare this razor to the Kockout Knockout model that you highly praise?
The Knockout is a completely different razor type, so for me, comparisons are not possible.

The Knockout is a TRUE Closed Comb. The waste lather and whiskers go through the closed comb and underneath the blade (coming out the other side [if you use one side too long]).
Knockout-4_2023-11-14.jpg

Personally, I classify DE Razors into three groups:
  • SB (Safety Bar) which Superior cuts calls CC
  • OC (Open Comb) where all drainage is through the gaps between the teeth. (Superior cuts OC is a mixture of OC and SB)
  • CC (Closed Comb) is a variety of styles that have combs that are not open.
I hope that helps.

The Knockout is a completely different razor type, so for me, comparisons are not possible.

The Knockout is a TRUE Closed Comb. The waste lather and whiskers go through the closed comb and underneath the blade (coming out the other side [if you use one side too long]).
View attachment 1802231

• OC (Open Comb) where all drainage is through the gaps between the teeth. (Superior cuts OC is a mixture of OC and SB)
I hope that helps.
Thanks! Maybe someone will replicate the knockout razor in 3D design.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I actually like the idea of yours more than the superior cut lay-out.
First time I saw your post I was wondering how long it would take for someone to set up a 3d printed razor shop... Turns out not too long.

Why arent you cashing in on this?
I really like your plates, but perhaps I as a Tech lover am a bit biased.
@SlimGem , I'm with Shaun.... I would love to see you open an Etsy shop... or sell your designs on eBay... Somewhere, in any event. I would love to buy the Swan Razor stand you designed.......for my Athena. And you have some other designs that I'd love to own as well. I know you make your designs available for free, but so many of us don't have access to 3D printers but still love your stuff.

That said.... There is a difference between doing something for fun vs. making it a business. A business can take some of the fun out of the hobby.

I hope that helps.
Similar here. To me, a closed comb means that there's some sort of pronounced scalloping that allows hair and lather to pass without flattening it to the skin completely, like on the Knockout or PAA META-4.
Then a closed comb is either smooth or has insignificant scalloping and smooshes hair gainst the skin (if bar is engaged).

I don't have the razor, but the "comb" on the Superior Cuts plates look more cosmetic than functional.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
It is definitely functional, sort of similar to the Mühle R41 (which also isn't a true OC) idea.

I was just thinking about the R41 in regards to this topic.

R41.2.Chrome.RoseGold.640.7-18.JPG

Exactly what the R41 is I'm not sure, but it's not an Open Comb. It is also not an SB according to how I look at it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I got the new translucent blue color. I like the hybrid comb head with one side closed comb/ open comb other side. It’s a great razor. The 1st light razor I’ve ever loved. The .4 is very close to bbs but .6 and .8 get it done no problem. Very fun razor. I did a video on it and my buddy wanted to buy my gray one. I got the blue to replace it. I have over 20 DE and 10 SE and I reach for this razor often.
If I end up buying one, that is the color I will choose as well... It looks very nice.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I just ordered this razor in ⇣this⇩ configuration.

View attachment 1803831

When I checked out I was told to expect my new razor in late April which is almost two months from now. I don't mind waiting, and wasn't expecting it to arrive in time for March's Fixed Four.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I wonder if it makes any difference if you buy from their Etsy site or from their eBay site.

I wonder if it makes any difference if you buy from their Etsy site or from their eBay site.

Dont worry, stated plan ship date times are just for safety reasons if some materials are out of stock or many orders come at same time. (Worst case scenario)

Jims order was already shipped this morning😀

(No difference regarding ebay/etsy) :)

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Dont worry, stated plan ship date times are just for safety reasons if some materials are out of stock or many orders come at same time. (Worst case scenario)

Jims order was already shipped this morning😀

(No difference regarding ebay/etsy) :)

You have inside information.

My package has been shipped.

1709228091104.png

According to the tracking information from eBay it won't arrive before I will need it or be able to use it, which is after the March Fixed.

I'm in no hurry, but science marches onward.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom