What's new

How do you Beat the Heat?

Your back yard view? Cracking view, that greenery is putting me off though :lol:

certainly not my back yard, actually the william hill winery in caneros region of napa.

my back yard, more like this below...

$tiana_M3S_6098.jpg

Beat the Texas heat tip. Shower normally with hot water, then get out to shave, once done I re-enter shower and rinse my entire body off 2 minutes w cold water to close my pores and I sweat less while outside (picked it up from wet shaving w cold water).

I usually have no problems with heat. Only thing I don't like is when it's still oven hot at night because the house doesn't cool down anymore. Sometimes I grab a popup tent and sleep in the garden, which is great... except for those stupid birds and noisy neighbours in the morning. :001_rolle

I usually have no problems with heat. Only thing I don't like is when it's still oven hot at night because the house doesn't cool down anymore. Sometimes I grab a popup tent and sleep in the garden, which is great... except for those stupid birds and noisy neighbours in the morning. :001_rolle

I have the opposite problem where I live ... noisy birds and stupid neighbors.

Bump.

We've had four days in a row of temps above 85F ... and this is immediately following last week when it was in the 50s.
After a fairly mild Winter season, Summer seems to be coming in with a vengeance ... and its going to be a lot worse before it gets better.

So I thought I would revive this thread and see if anybody has anything nes to say.
If not, at least re-reading some of the old ideas might be helpful to keep everyone more comfortable as the heat increases.

Get a bottle of Osage Rub. Pour it into a small spray bottle and keep it in your pocket. When you get hot take a second and mist away. Super menthol cooling effect. Great all over body and in hair.

KJ aka thevez2's idea. Works great!

Bump.

The heat index here hit 115 degrees today ... I couldn't spend more than a minute outside before I was miserable.

I have my micro-fiber towel around my neck, and I dosed myself liberally with Osage Rub before work and again at lunch time. Even these weren't enough to keep me cool and comfortable.

There was a long To-Do list waiting for me when I got to work at noon. Luckily, there were some inside projects, so I worked on them. Some other guys got stuck with moving around paving bricks and bags of mulch in the yard. I don't know how they did it.

Anyway, how is everyone else holding up in this miserable heat? The weather reports say it won't break until Tuesday. I've only got one more day of work this week, and I'm not looking forward to it.

Legion

Staff member
Where I live there is no beating the heat. You just try to survive, and pray for winter.

One thing I will tend to do. Keep a bucket of water nearby if you are working outside. Have a thin cotton scarf around your neck, and a long sleeve, light coloured flannel shirt on. Both will protect you from the sun, and regularly dunk the shirt and scarf in the bucket of water. Evaporative cooling works.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
Oh, and drink a ton of water! Not soda, not gator-aid. Water. When it is 115f you are being desiccated.

When it is that hot I sometimes forget, because you will feel dry, the sweat just evaporates off you. But the moisture is still pouring out.

An old acquaintance of mine who was a Marine use to say on days like this (I'm in the Jerse as well) you need to be drinking (water) and if you're not drinking, it's because you're peeing, and if you're not peeing, it's cause you're busy drinking.

It only gets into the 90's here in PA, but 90's and 90%+ humidity is pretty lousy.

I feel guilty around lunch time. When it's 90° out, it gets to 115° in the plant that I work in. I'll leave my 69° control room and see the production guys walking up to the breakroom for lunch. Well, actually I don't see them through my fogged up glasses from just leaving the 69° control room :D

Last week was rough. I had work to do on the floor of which I spent 4 hours a day with steam blasting directly on me. That got a little warm and miserable. Lunch time I was able to hit the AC in my office for an hour though before heading back out to clean out the pressure tank and refill. Now next week I should be good and back in my cold control room for most of the days.

Get a bottle of Osage Rub. Pour it into a small spray bottle and keep it in your pocket. When you get hot take a second and mist away. Super menthol cooling effect. Great all over body and in hair.

KJ aka thevez2's idea. Works great!

I finally got some Osage Rub about 2 months ago. Great stuff! I don't know how I lived so long without it.

I have a 1oz pump bottle that I carry in the pocket of my work pants ... each fill-up lasts me about 3 days, and my co-workers have gotten used to seeing my spray myself constantly. A few of them have sampled it and said they would get some for themselves, but so far nobody has done so. It has been nicknamed "Liquid Air Conditioning."

However, I find that spraying it on is not as effective as the splash from the bottle. Doesn't last as long, either.

I think that next time I have to order up a refill of Osage Rub, I'm getting 2 bottles. 1 for home, 1 for work. That way, I can splash it on at work, it will be a lot colder, and the effect will last a good half-hour or so.

We're in the middle of our first heat wave here on the East Coast. It was 92F in the shade yesterday at my job, and its going to get worse before it gets better.

How do you deal with hot weather? Got any special tips or techniques you can share?

Where do you live ? I'm in Eastern NC and for those that don't live here the humidity is horrible! Just came from outside at 9:30 and I'm pouring sweat.... Only remedy: lots of water.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Top Bottom