What's new

How do you Beat the Heat?

We're in the middle of our first heat wave here on the East Coast. It was 92F in the shade yesterday at my job, and its going to get worse before it gets better.

How do you deal with hot weather? Got any special tips or techniques you can share?

I purchased on of these http://www.missionathletecare.com/collections/cooling/products/cooling-towel and I wear it at work, tucked in under my shirt. Everybody that sees it says "Oh! I'm going to get one of those." But so far, nobody else has done so, and they all just continue to complain about the heat. I just say "Heat? What heat?"

Its not part of our standardized dress at work (we're not allowed to call it a "uniform" but it is) but so far none of the upper-management has said anything. Even if they do, I think I will continue to wear it, because it is very effective and keeps me comfortable on sweltering days. I'll deal with the write-ups and letters of reprimand as they come down the line.

In a few minutes, I'm going to indulge in an ice-water shave. I've got C.O. Bigelow cream and Proraso ASL laid out on the counter. I've get some ice-cubes from the freezer and I'm soaking my brush in a coffee mug.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I put ice under my cowboy hat while mowing. I also use a mister out on the back porch. The misting fans are also a good choice.

Usually, I take the bus into town- a twenty minute walk to the bus stop; and the temp can top 100°F with high humidity. So I soak all clothing except shoes and socks with cold water before I dress. The water has evaporated by the time I get to the stop and has kept me cool in the process. I favor high-tech synthetics and light-weight cottons from Patagonia, Kuhl, etc

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
My favorite is a well soaked hat, ball cap style. Nice felt is best as it can hold a lot of water. A portable Swamp Cooler. Evaporative cooling at its best

ice wrapped in a bandana enough to keep it from being TOO cold, and tied (loosely, of course) on your neck. The cold on the BACK of your neck really makes you feel much cooler!

Do-Rag soaked in ice-cold water works wonders for those of us with short (or...thinning...) hair. Also helps keep us thin-haired fellas from getting burnt scalps :)

Beyond that, stay hydrated and keep the electrolytes up. If you want to avoid calories/sugar, I recommend Hammer Endurolytes Fizz, sold at some bike shops and many online bike-shop retailers. I got some this spring, and its a light flavor but keeps electrolytes in the body. No sugar, no calories. Well, 10 calories per tablet, I consider that none, in comparison. So far I like the Grapefruit and Lemon-Lime... I'm a cyclist, and they REALLY do help avoid cramps. I fit in short but high intensity rides, so they come in handy :) They are about $4-5 for 13 tablets. I like 1 tablet per 20oz water. Light flavor that way.

I have a couple bandanas that have gel pellets sewn into them. Soak the bandana in water and the pellets absorb the water and swell up. Then tie it around your neck and enjoy the evaporation. Sorry, I don't remember what they're called, but most camping supply stores carry them.

I have a couple bandanas that have gel pellets sewn into them. Soak the bandana in water and the pellets absorb the water and swell up. Then tie it around your neck and enjoy the evaporation. Sorry, I don't remember what they're called, but most camping supply stores carry them.

Those gel pellet things just feel gross once you start getting them warm and the only way to get them to cool off after that is dunking them in ice water. You are better off for evap cooling using something like the person linked to in an earlier post. I am more partial to the Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad Cooling Towel. They are a bit heavier and you have to be more careful about it drying out (think chamois rag), but it does a better job cooling. If it starts to get too dry and stop cooling effectively you just saturate in room temperature water (run it under a faucet) then lightly wring it out and give it a shake before placing back around neck and shoulders.

I wear body armor and a heavy wool uniform, then work inside the jail where it is in the 80s with 80% humidity. About the only relief for us is body talc. Lots and lots of talc. Clubman and Gold Bond seem to be the top two choices. Briefing smells like a barbershop, yet I'm the only wet shaver there. 12.5 hours later when the shift is over peeling to body armor off is heavenly, peeling the dripping t-shirt off is even better.

Use a combo of the gel pellet neck wraps and a micro fiber towel when fishing or doing yard work. Both items need frequent refreshing, the gel pellet wrap works best if I remember to flip it over every 15 minutes or so.

Those gel pellet things just feel gross once you start getting them warm and the only way to get them to cool off after that is dunking them in ice water. You are better off for evap cooling using something like the person linked to in an earlier post. I am more partial to the Frogg Toggs Chilly Pad Cooling Towel. They are a bit heavier and you have to be more careful about it drying out (think chamois rag), but it does a better job cooling. If it starts to get too dry and stop cooling effectively you just saturate in room temperature water (run it under a faucet) then lightly wring it out and give it a shake before placing back around neck and shoulders.
I looked at the Frogg Toggs before I bought the Mission rag I have now. I may give the Frogg Togg a try next month.

The directions for Mission say to soak it water, wring it out, and snap it to activate. I've discovered that it is more effective if I soak it (straight from the water fountain) and then put it on sopping wet. I get a little dripping down my back, and the front of my shirt gets wet, but that just means more cooling.

I need to refresh it frequently. About an hour is the most I can go until I can no longer feel it cooling, but if I can, I will refresh it every chance I get. Only takes a few seconds to saturate and re-install. I will also get it sopping wet, rub it over my hair and face, then re-wet it again before I put it around my neck and tuck it in my shirt.

I wear body armor and a heavy wool uniform, then work inside the jail where it is in the 80s with 80% humidity. About the only relief for us is body talc. Lots and lots of talc. Clubman and Gold Bond seem to be the top two choices. Briefing smells like a barbershop, yet I'm the only wet shaver there.
I had forgotten about talcum powder. I used it a lot several years ago, but haven't used any recently. It does better than any anti-perspirant/deodorant to help keep my from sweating. I put some in my socks, too.

The only problem with talcum powder is that when I put it on, it gets all over the bathroom and its hard to clean up. I looked for years for a powder-puff device that would apply it without making a mess. What finally worked was a B&B member suggested dumping a wad of talcum into a clean sock, tie it off at the ankle, and use that to pat-pat-pat anywhere I want to apply. That's the ticket! The mess is no more.

I like Clubman talc. I get mine at Sally's with their Club Card discount. Each can lasts me about 2 years.

I installed a cooling misting system across our entire sun patio and covered porch. As long as your anywhere in that zone, it's 75 degrees!

I installed a cooling misting system across our entire sun patio and covered porch. As long as your anywhere in that zone, it's 75 degrees!
I'd love to get something like that for where we work. I'm in the Seasonal section of a department store, and right now, its Garden Shop season. That means working outside under a metal roof. Yesterday, it was 92F in the shade, and its going to get worse before it gets better. We have an area under the awning that is about 20ft wide by 150ft long, and its always about 20deg hotter on that side of the building than when we take a smoke-break and go out back.

We used to sell those misting systems, but no longer carry them. I know that our management is too cheap to spend even $1 on employee comfort (they haven't turned on the air-conditioning in our section in 2 years) but if I remember, those misting systems are pretty cheap. We might be able to take up a collection among the department employees to see if we could purchase one ourselves.

Got any links to where I could purchase something like this online?

Today, its 85F at noon. Cold water shave, for sure.

I soaked a Semogue Custom 2010 boar in a mug filled with ice cubes and water. I washed my face with ARKO and left some lather on my beard. I put some C.O. Bigelow on my face and a dab in the breech of the brush, then face lathered. Scraped my face with a Merkur 34G and a Derby blade on shave #2.

Rinsed with cold water, then applied some Witch Hazel I had put in the freezer. After the WH dried, I put on some Proraso Green ASL, also from the freezer.

I'm ready to face the heat today. Oh, yeah!

I have to wear Nomex and FRC at work, so underneath I wear the old fashioned A-shirts and the Under Armor type boxer briefs. Since I've gone to this combination, I've found the heat to be a little more tolerable.

Top Bottom