What's new

How do you Beat the Heat?

In my townhome where the temps were hitting 86 degrees - I broke down and got a portable AC unit. It only cools 1 room, but having that as an option makes it tolerable. Ceiling/floor fans for the rest of the house, ventilation when the temps drop outside, and even putting bowls of ice in front of a floor fan.

I miss central AC . . .

In my townhome where the temps were hitting 86 degrees - I broke down and got a portable AC unit. It only cools 1 room, but having that as an option makes it tolerable. Ceiling/floor fans for the rest of the house, ventilation when the temps drop outside, and even putting bowls of ice in front of a floor fan.

I miss central AC . . .
I have Central AC in my house, but the compressor is about 10 years old and doesn't sound too healthy. I worry constantly that it might break down, and when that happens, I can't afford to replace it. When that time comes, I will probably just get a window AC unit for my bedroom and leave the rest of the house to cool with the ceiling fans.

You don't beat it, you embrace it. I grew up and still live in the Phoenix area. For some reason, this year hasn't felt as bad as I remember most summers feeling. Don't get me wrong, 110 F is still hot, it just doesn't seem to drain me as much. The only difference is my attitude. For whatever reason I made a conscious effort to just "bask" in the heat this year rather than moping around complaining about it like most other people do, and like I normally would. It's made a difference. I try to drink a lot of water and use sunblock when needed, but for the most part I just imagine myself soaking in the sun and pretend that I enjoy it, and it doesn't really feel that bad anymore.

You don't beat it, you embrace it. I grew up and still live in the Phoenix area. For some reason, this year hasn't felt as bad as I remember most summers feeling. Don't get me wrong, 110 F is still hot, it just doesn't seem to drain me as much. The only difference is my attitude. For whatever reason I made a conscious effort to just "bask" in the heat this year rather than moping around complaining about it like most other people do, and like I normally would. It's made a difference. I try to drink a lot of water and use sunblock when needed, but for the most part I just imagine myself soaking in the sun and pretend that I enjoy it, and it doesn't really feel that bad anymore.
Live in Phx myself...do you have kids? If so, what do you do to entertain them during summer?

Live in Phx myself...do you have kids? If so, what do you do to entertain them during summer?

I have a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old. Mainly indoor activities and/or water activities. We don't have a pool, but we do have a slip & slide and a water table that we pull out occasionally. We have lots of friends and a few family members with pools, so we try to do something with them once every week or two. We've also done the jump street and indoor bounce houses. Definitely harder with the kids as you can never get them to drink enough water.

We broke 100 F last week but I felt fine It was great I ran all over the place. It was great none of the bothersome people were out.

Here in Texas I turn on the A/C do mowing and yard work in the morning before the heat builds up. In the summer 92 is mild for a high and do not think hot so much until it passes 95. In my part of the state which is more like the deep south humidity is a problem.

why are all of you talking about heat ? its winter, and cold outside.
$february-snowstorm-075-300x225.jpg

I'm retired, so SWAMP COOLER and scheduling -- I work outside in the early morning or after supper. The rest of the time, I putter on the computer.

In the winter, it's furnace and scheduling -- I work outside only when the temperatures get above 50 degrees.

Retirement is great!!!

If only I could remember what day of the week it is. :lol:

It was great none of the bothersome people were out.

A few years back we had a Chief of Police who used to publish studies and do press conferences using graphs and the whole shebang. I was amazed how the crime rate went down based on environmental factors (I.E. rain, extreme cold, etc.)

Top Bottom