What's new

Are Smash Burgers Better Than Regular Burgers?

Are Smash Burgers Are Better Than Regular Burgers?

• Yes

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
1713143373308.jpeg
With Spring & Summer activities involving BBQ's, Family Reunions / 'Get-togethers', Parlor card games,
Birthdays, Backgammon, Dominoes and the like...are Smash Burgers better than Regular Burgers
proxy.php

Story by Joshua Carlucci - TastingTable - 4 Mar 24

Smash burgers have risen to the forefront of the burger scene in recent years.

For the uninitiated, a smash burger is a basic cheeseburger with a patty that has been literally smashed and flattened on the grill or flat top as it's cooked.

These juicy, crusty, and super thin patties are usually served simple — layered two or three patties-high and stacked with cheese and minimal accouterments.

proxy.php

Smash burgers have amassed an exponentially growing following as of late, with purveyors and innumerable variants of the sandwich popping up all over the world.

But are smash burgers really deserving of all that hype, and what about these burgers has contributed to their surging popularity?

We're here to answer all your burning, caramelizing questions to the best of our burger-loving ability. While we can't decide for everyone, we believe the age-old question, "To smash or not to smash?" leans stronger in one direction than another, and we're here to make the case for why smash burgers are far superior.
1713155438192.png

The concept of the smash burger is relatively simple. To make one, a ball of ground beef is placed on a hot griddle and immediately smashed flat with a spatula or weight to create a thin patty.

This technique results in a burger with a crispy, caramelized exterior and a juicy, flavorful interior.

The thin size allows for more surface area to come into contact with the hot cooking surface, which promotes a crispy crust.

Smashed patties also don't curl upward and away from the heat source, giving them a more uniform texture than an unsmashed burger.

Because of their thinness, smash burgers take only a few minutes to cook on each side. The quick and intense sear minimizes moisture loss in the meat and seals the juices in the middle of the patty.

proxy.php

In comparison, thicker burgers have to be cooked longer to meet proper serving temperature.

Though this is certainly not the case with every patty, a longer cooking time can cause critical moisture loss if the patty is cooked past medium, resulting in a dry burger.

As with any good foodstuff, there are countless variants to regular burgers and smash burgers across the board. Toppings are added and subtracted depending on where you go. Typically, though, a good burger and smash burger see eye-to-eye on lettuce, tomato, onion, and cheeses.

History of the smash burger

We have to ask what came first — the burger or the smash burger?

It's not a chicken or egg mystery here — the burger was first.

But, the humble origins of the first smash burger as a viral food are rooted in the Appalachian region of Ashland, Kentucky, where an ordinary burger-flipping cook decided to smash one of his unfinished patties with a large, No. 10 tin can.

The restaurant where he worked was known as Dairy Cheer, an off-shoot of the Dairy Queen location it used to be. Owner Bill Culvertson saw an unfilled niche in this strange burger-smashing technique and created the first smash burger, cementing a moment of food history.

Culvertson later franchised Dairy Cheer and opened several other locations in the region, a few of which are still open today and continue to tout its history as the "Home of the Smashburger."

While Culvertson gets credit as the first to market and sell a smash burger, historical accounts suggest that the smashing thin of burger patties was around well before Dairy Cheer was pumping out food.

proxy.php

During the Great Depression, for instance, Oklahoma's onion burger was created as a way to ration expensive burger meat by making thinner patties and mixing in cheap onions to create a cost-effective and crispy burger.

[...] Why smash burgers are better

Thin-pattied smash burgers cooked over a flat-top griddle or pan — particularly those that are smashed into a high-heat surface — are simply better than grilled burgers. There are several reasons for this, and it all comes down to the science of making a burger.

The cooking process is critical in setting the smash burger apart. When a hamburger patty is pressed and held against a superheated surface, the Maillard reaction takes maximum effect.

proxy.php

This effect describes the process of browning food when cooking, attributed to heat changing the structure of proteins on the surface of food.

This browning is what brings out the flavor of umami in certain foods. The smashed patty is closer to the heat source, which compounds the effect of the Maillard reaction.

In contrast, a regular-sized burger has limited contact with the heat source, so it doesn't get the same effect.

As a result, the ground beef in a thick patty is often less flavorful than a crispy smash burger".

Read More: Smash Burgers vs. Regular Burgers

$Wimpy.jpg "I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today". Wimpy

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Christopher, without going into long detail, I think a smash burger is best when the meat quality alone doesn't hold up. If it's quality beef, then a thick, juicy medium/medium rare burger with minimal toppings is best. That's not to say the only factor is the quality though.

From a lot of videos that I've seen online, I think people press their smashburgers far too quickly. I find the best results when I make a small ball, put it on a piping hot surface, give it a minute or two, then smash it.

Single burgers = thick and juicy

Double burger = thin, crispy exterior.

Ground chuck or medium Ground Beef if the butcher doesn't have. Straight up meet with seasoning. NO extra fillers, egg, breadcrumbs or j
Junk added.

Even if we do "thin" smash type burgers, I often do them on the BBQ. I'll press them in my tortilla press (not tortilla thin) and BBQ them. They shrink inwards in diameter, so you press them wider than you need. Double and triple burgers are more for the "shock appeal" or "look". It's the same amount of meat but sometimes easier to layer the various toppings.

Any burger cooked properly is fine by me. I like them all.

Last edited:
Weird fact of the day….

In Canada burgers are cooked well done. Health Canada mandates 160F. So no option really for rare, medium, etc. McDonalds, fancy restaurants and everything inbetween.

Super weird as I can order my steak or lamb Blue or rare, but not my burgers. 🤷‍♂️
From what I know, it's due to the exterior surface bacteria being mixed up deep into the grind, using multiple cuts from various cows.

We have purchased a rump or similar cut, ground it ourself safely (chill meat, chill grinder, chill bowl, work fast) and cooked them to medium. We survived.

Gone are the Canadian Fudrucker burger joints that you could order a medium rare burger.

TheShaun

Bejeweled
From what I know, it's due to the exterior surface bacteria being mixed up deep into the grind, using multiple cuts from various cows.

We have purchased a rump or similar cut, ground it ourself safely (chill meat, chill grinder, chill bowl, work fast) and cooked them to medium. We survived.

Gone are the Canadian Fudrucker burger joints that you could order a medium rare burger.
On the West Coast, they can cook to temperature if they grind their own meat. But even if you can find a place that does, they often still don't know what they're doing...

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
1713206045336.jpeg
I think the key to great burgers is to get the lean-to-fat content ratio (I like to use 75% to 25%), just right. ⚖️

Also, sometimes the Mrs. and I add 3 tbsp of dry french onion soup dip or ranch dressing & 3 tsp Worcestershire sauce and seasonings (Adobo or Sea Salt and white pepper), per 1b of ground beef. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"Burgers: the universal language of love". Unknown Author

I had been getting my burgers at the local bar
medium rare because that's what most people like.
They're half pound burgers.

After about ten years of that,
I noticed that I like some better than others
and after paying attention for a little while longer,
I noticed that I preferred the rarer ones.

Now I order them rare and they're all great.

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
IMHO any "burger" thread (forgive me, but I'll say it, particularly in the USA) asking "is Burger A better than XYZ" is doomed from the onset.

There are WAY too many good, great, and bad hamburgers in the world with WAY too many variables. Can a "smashburger" be a great Burger? Absolutely! But a big old fatty can be too. My dad's crappy burgers on a .25 cent bun are amazing in my mind. One particularly disturbing/memorable/hard-core factor of the process was that he'd eat some raw ground beef with a little salt on it EVERY TIME he made them. I doubt that would enhance anyone's enjoyment of the meal other than mine. But it is forever ingrained in my memory and completely irreplaceable.

I had a write up in a local paper and a minutes success for a $60 Burger with, !@#$ I don't remember, a lamb "lollipop" some foie gras in some capacity, waygu beef, shaved truffles and I don't remember what other contrived nonsense. It was rubbish in the sense that some of those ingredients had merit, but put them all together on a "house made brioche bun" you're just vomiting spendy ingredients for a gimmick that has zero redeeming culinary value.

If anyone ever brings it up in polite or professional circles I will disown you. It lives in a shameful part of my soul that shouldn't be revisited without scotch that's at least 15 years old. That being said it was prepared during a time of my life when a shift began with a Bloody Mary, supported with unlimited beers and crowned with an open bar for the close. Ask me why I've steered my kids away from jobs in restaurants.

Anyhow, I ramble. Smashburger = can be really good. 10k other burgers can be better, worse or just as good. IMHO, keep it simple with quality ingredients and don't take any shortcuts on preparation. Unless it makes it taste better and then disregard rules 1- X.

YMMV

My dad's crappy burgers on a .25 cent bun are amazing in my mind. One particularly disturbing/memorable/hard-core factor of the process was that he'd eat some raw ground beef with a little salt on it EVERY TIME he made them. I doubt that would enhance anyone's enjoyment of the meal other than mine. But it is forever ingrained in my memory and completely irreplaceable.
Steak Tartare

TBH - Smashburger has never enticed me enough to stop in...

Steak Tartare

TBH - Smashburger has never enticed me enough to stop in...
We don't even have a "Smashburger" where I am. To be honest, I didn't even know if there are even in Canada.

When my kids ask for "smash burgers" at home, I just make them on the BBQ flat top or Cast Iron instead of directly on the grates. Fried in butter or oil, old school Diner style.

Last time we were in the USA on a road trip, we looked at the price and said "screw that" and went to Culver's or somewhere similar.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I cook my burgers on a blackstone flat grill. I cool them mwdium-rare. Although I do not have any issue with smash burgers, the way I like my medium-rare burgers doesn't work well with a smash burger. They cook all the way through very quickly. For a good medium-rare burger, a standard patty works better for me. I had a smash burger made on a friend's blackstone recently. It was seasoned well and tasted good. But I simply prefer it the old way. No biggie. Let people smash or not smash to their own preferences. If a burger has to be cooked through, I see the benefits of a smash burger. It's just not the way I like them.

Top Bottom