What's new

Head Shaver's Check-In

Been shaving the dome for almost 15 years now. I've been DE face shaving on and off for a year or so but still use a Mach 3 for my head. I'm quite used to it and I'm probably a bit nervous about using a DE where I can't see it. With a brush and some CO Bigelow, I get a good shave so I'm not ready to make the change yet. But I will read through the thread and maybe you will change my mind.

E-1 Fatboy Feather (26)
Whipped Dog Synth
WSP Tobacco Soap and beard oil
Stetson
DSCF9996.JPG

Been shaving the dome for almost 15 years now. I've been DE face shaving on and off for a year or so but still use a Mach 3 for my head. I'm quite used to it and I'm probably a bit nervous about using a DE where I can't see it. With a brush and some CO Bigelow, I get a good shave so I'm not ready to make the change yet. But I will read through the thread and maybe you will change my mind.
I found head shaving with a DE was really much easier than I though it would be. Start with a mild razor and you will be fine. I feel like my head is more forgiving than my face, the parts of my face I shave anyway. Let us know how it goes once you take the plunge. :thumbsup:

Thought I am going to put a small update. Alot better shaves now, zero cuts and not so much stinging after. Still the neck is a problem area, it seems quite tough and some swirls are problematic. Not sure if I should just try to do 1-2 wtg passes and leave it to avoid irritation.

Thought I am going to put a small update. Alot better shaves now, zero cuts and not so much stinging after. Still the neck is a problem area, it seems quite tough and some swirls are problematic. Not sure if I should just try to do 1-2 wtg passes and leave it to avoid irritation.
Good to hear things are going better. Two WTG passes is pretty much what I do. I just go front to back it's more or less WTG for me. It usually leaves me DFS or at least close to it, sometimes I even flirt with BBS. If I actually start chasing BBS and going against the grain I get irritation and ingrown hairs, usually on the back of the neck and around the ears. I go ATG on the face, but have pretty much stopped doing it on the head. On the face I need to go ATG to get a close shave, but don't seem to need to on the head.

Good to hear things are going better. Two WTG passes is pretty much what I do. I just go front to back it's more or less WTG for me. It usually leaves me DFS or at least close to it, sometimes I even flirt with BBS. If I actually start chasing BBS and going against the grain I get irritation and ingrown hairs, usually on the back of the neck and around the ears. I go ATG on the face, but have pretty much stopped doing it on the head. On the face I need to go ATG to get a close shave, but don't seem to need to on the head.

Yeah, I understand what you mean and I just have to get a bit less picky about the neck. Still have a lot to improve, but I used a Shark blade yesterday and it felt good but trying to not change too much so I get the basics doqn first. Found an awesome potterybowl for lathering aswell on a fleamarket for 2euro. :)

I found head shaving with a DE was really much easier than I though it would be. Start with a mild razor and you will be fine. I feel like my head is more forgiving than my face, the parts of my face I shave anyway. Let us know how it goes once you take the plunge. :thumbsup:

Ok, you've convinced me. I'll give it a try and report back!

Gave it a try today with a Feather razor and Polsilver blade, lubricated with KMF lavender. Probably 2.5 passes, no damage, and while not exactly BBS, still pretty good. Alum and witch hazel indicated that I hadn't been too overzealous! I will try again in a few days and see how it goes with some Son of Zeus,

Gave it a try today with a Feather razor and Polsilver blade, lubricated with KMF lavender. Probably 2.5 passes, no damage, and while not exactly BBS, still pretty good. Alum and witch hazel indicated that I hadn't been too overzealous! I will try again in a few days and see how it goes with some Son of Zeus,
:thumbup1:

Giessen & Forsthoff
Polsilver Super Iridium
Nivea créme preshave
Omega 10019
Wilkinson Sword
Cien ASB

Confident enough to go for a BBS result, still a couple of rough patches, but its very smooth in general without any blood.

The Wilkinson Sword provides a very nice leather for head shaving so it seems.
I guess I'm one of the few out there who enjoy this soap.

DFS.

IMG_20170228_190143658.jpg

Had a really nice shave yesterday evening with a blue Personna. I shouldn't switch the blades that often but the shark I had was not kind to the back of my head (too much irritation). Well, the Personna performed better than any blade I have tried so far, gave me a nice comfortable shave with no stinging at all. Awesome feeling.

Flare Tip Super Speed (A1)
Voskhod
Heirloom Brush
VDH Luxury
Clubman

BBS results, Clubman had a bit of tingle on the face. Like others here, I've noticed that my head is more forgiving than my face.

Giessen & Forsthoff
Polsilver Super Iridium
Nivea crème preshave
Omega 10019
Omega Eucalyptus
HEMA ASB

A great headshave.

The Nivea crème is an excellent preshave for scalp.

DFS.

proxy.php

I've only been head shaving about 5 years now. There is my fat fold at the base of the my skull which I occasionally clip during a shave and there are some areas around the temples that sometimes gets a bit raw, but I do show have 5-6 times a week. The right shave prep, grip on the razor--If anybody has been in band, it's like holding the conductors baton. Two fingers is all I need at the balance point.

So I got a Merkur 34c HD yesterday and decided to try it out today instead of my Muhle R89. Everything else stayed the same, proraso white preshave, poraso green shaving cream and a personna blue blade. A few nicks in the back but no razorbumps in the neck, I dont believe it is because 34c is better it just fits better in my hand. So all in all a really good shave and it just keeps getting better.
Now all I need is a fancy stand for my brush or a better brush :) wishful thinking :)

Giessen & Forsthoff
Polsilver Super Iridium
Nivea crème preshave
Proraso/Omega boar
Proraso red
HEMA shea butter ASB

A very fine headshave.
The obsession tot get a BBS result is kicking in.
Still I am able tot ignore it, hopefully untill I know how my head hair grows.

Once again no blood, I love the Nivea as preshave.

DFS.

proxy.php

2 shaves:

1.) Saturday DISASTER!
New Improved
Voskhod
Beaumont Silvertip
Mama Bears Spellbound Woods
Lotion & a bandaid...

My attention lapsed on the upper rear quadrant of my head. Heard a "ffffffFFFFTTT!" sound, looked at the razor and saw a thin ribbon of skin hanging off of it.

2.) Monday Morning Redemption
Flare Tip Super Speed (A1)
Voskhod
Beaumont
TOBS Eton College
Clubman

Lesson learned (for now). Managed to avoid further irritating the little furrow I made on Saturday, had a great shave to begin the week!

Top Bottom