What's new

Gissy's straight razor stories

Nicely done Gissy, 2 things I love your signature. I was always taught never to judge a book by the cover.

Second comment, do you have some burning after the shave? I ask because you are doing about 5-7 passes on each area and after the first pass those are essentially lather free. Might I suggest doing a longer single pass in each area. Remember the idea is beard reduction, you might have to lather up again and do another WTG pass but I think it might cut down irritation (if you have any).

Great progress you have made from your first video.

I actually have little or no irritation. I had much more trouble with irritation with DE's. Thanks for the comments though! I will try to add an extra pass, maybe XTG the other way.

I think I have to watch my own video again. I haven't even though about the fact that I shave over areas without lather :)

I'm actually quite shocked how quicly straight shaving became natural to me. I'm starting to think I've had other lives as a straight shaver ;)

I just watches some of the video again and you are very right, I go over areas a lot of times;)

gissy i hope u did not damage the edge, when that happens to me i add some extra laps on my canvas strop & then some extra laps on my leather. sometimes if it edge is not hurt too much it will salvage the edge. YMMV. close your razors by the tail and that helps eliminate pushing it to the side when closing. best of luck, tom

I hope not! I will see on the next shave. I will remember to close it by the tail in the future!

Great job man! I bet I'm not the only one making some strange faces (stretching, etc.) while watching that video.

Thanks all! I find myself doing strange faces and think about how to stretch my skin all the time! I should maybe stop doing that:blush:

A lot of new stuff on todays shave:

$Shave den 023.jpg

Used today:

Musgo real glyce Lime oil soap
A. Witte Solace Razor(This is my first and only antique store find, 1st shave after honing by Zephyr)
Semogue SOC
TOBS Sandalwood
Speick AS
(The only thing on todays list I have tried before is the AS)

I had a really nice shave today! I had been told that Zephyrs edges is sharp and man was they right! My two other razors are shave ready and does a fine job, but this was something else! After the first WTG pass(while keeping in mind I should not go ove rthe same area many times) I had a really good SAS. I think the Mr Glo also had something to do with this. The TOBS cream also gave a very nice lather and A LOT of it! My bowl was still full of lather after the shave. And this was with a SOC who isn't even close to be broken in. I did a XTG pass without any problem and had a nice close shave, maybe the best one I have had so far.

When I splashed on the Speick I could notice a little irritation, but I'm not sure if this was from the razor or the brush.

Awesome read Gissy. Keep up the good work. You've taken the information and used it well. I try to tell my family the same thing about no lather no shave and there are like I got it, and then they do it anyway! Then they call me and say I got irritation from that razor, duh. I can't wait to read more of your journey to the elusive BBS that just comes when the stars line up. Take care.

Hey Gissy, first off, great vids. I've ordered my first straight so I'm checking out as much info as I can. I was pleasantly surprised to find your vids, not necessarily for technique, but to see there are other guys out there that have to deal with cleaning shaving cream out of his earrings!

Last edited:
Very cool video Gissy. :001_cool:
I'm so impressed I'm going to use my straight tomorrow which is kind of a big deal for me as I'm just a little bit scared of the big sharp thing.
I hear it takes 100 shaves before you feel comfortable using a straight so I hope you and I survive the journey without major blood loss.

Thanks guys! No I wouldn't use my videoes to learn technique yet :tongue_sm To get comfortable should be much quicker I think. I already find it comfortable and the fear is gone. I think the 100 is more how long it takes to get great shaves every day. Good luck with your shave Uncle Brian! I think the best way to get comfortable with a straight is to jump in with both feet as soon as posible and use it for every shave. I haven't used a DE since the first straight shave, and I feel I started to get it quite fast.

The lather in the earrings is a hazzle! The lather in the tunnel is even worse :;):

It can't be great every time...

Used today:

Musgo real glyce Lime oil soap
A. Witte Solace Razor(2st shave after honing by Zephyr)
Semogue SOC
Mystic water coconut
Thayers Lemon WH
Fitjar Folgefonn Kjakesmurning ASB

Not a great shave today. Things just didn't feel right. I couldn't get the lather right and I managed to put a cut on the tragus of my left ear.

I decided to just do the one WTG pass and call it a day. I managed to get an ok shave out of it though.

Onwards and upwards!

Last edited:
Great move sticking to one WTG pass when the vibe was off, Gissy. I need to follow suit, i.e. be less stubborn and accept the shave mojo as it presents itself (or not). When the shave mojo is strong, run the passes and bask in the luxury! When the shave mojo wobbles, get an acceptable WTG and move to the work at hand. Have a great week!

Thanks for the encouragement Gissy I tried a little with it today and it's not as scary as i remembered it ... will try a shave tonight even if I don't really need one and then another in the morning, I might even keep a little record of the whole thing but NOT on video.
:scared:

My focus have been a little off for a little while so I have kept away from the straights. I shaved with a DE again for a couple of shaves and ended up with a very irritated neck, so I had to take a day off to let it heal a little.

But now I'm finally back to the good stuff!
$Shave den 024.jpg
Used Today:
Vitos Pre-shave
John Engstrom Jr.
Simpson Special BBB
Mystic Water Coconut
Alum Block
La Toja AS

Man it felt great coming back to the straight(and narrow)! I went with two passes(WTG,XTG). The lather was nice, the shave went without any issues or blood. I can feel the razor getting a little dull, but I got some lapping film the other day so I will try to hone it up myself. Really looking forward to it. Many thanks goes out to all the great people on the lapping film treads who have taken the time to explain it to us newbs.

No bad burn from the alum, just a little tingling on my neck who was still a little irritaded after my bad DE shave. I had forgot how good the La Toja AS was. It really helps the skin and I love the scent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom