What's new

Straight razor...I don't know ...

It's not unusual for new users to think their straight razor is dull, doesn't cut right, etc. It is also not unusual for new users to think they get better shaves with other shaving options like DEs. It's impossible to target the specific causes remotely though. Everyone wanting to use a straight has to weather through their own storms.

Truth is, using a straight isn't for everyone. I do believe that some people will consistently get better shaves using DEs, Mach 3s, shavettes, etc.

One big issue - teal straights must be stropped, and improper stropping will yield a very subpar edge. Stropping is a skill and it takes effort to develop it.

Every Gold Dollar I have touched had abysmal geometry. A very stout bevel has a thick edge width and that reduces cutting efficacy. I can hone a stock GD but I don't want to shave with one. I would choose a DE over a stock GD honed by anyone in a heartbeat.

Basically, the laws of geometry and physics apply. If someone is ok with a fat bevel angle or tapered bevel faces or whatever, that's good for them. But many users, including me, need and want a better cutting edge. Regardless of who honed what, if the geometry wasn't worked on then that might play into someone's dis-satisfaction.

Shaving technique is a huge part of using a straight. Pulling skin, angles, etc - without that the shave will suffer.

Lather matters a lot with a straight. Dry thick lather will make the blade drag horribly. Lather that passes for DE use or lather pron pix might kill a straight shave experience.

Shavettes are, essentially, DE blades in a holder. DE blades exploit ideal geometry to achieve excellent cutting efficiency.
So, to compare a straight razor shave to a DE blade shave one should be working with a straight that has a comparable edge and geometry; I would suggest that a lot of garden-variety "shave ready" edges are just not in that league. Stir in bad shave technique, poor stropping skills, sketchy lather, etc - makes it hard to get a reasonable comparison.

Compare a Ferrari to a VW Bug.
Both will get you to the store and back.
A skilled driver in the Ferrari will run circles around anyone driving the Bug.
An unskilled driver in the Ferrari might struggle to get out of the driveway though.

What I usually tell new users, is to stop comparing. If you want to learn to use a straight then go for it and learn to use it. Focus on getting better with the straight razor, and stop focusing on how something else is easier to use or whatever. There is a shallow learning curve with straights, there must be a commitment because it takes time, effort, practice, good gear, and great edges.

Yesterday I found some pieces of lapping film and I think there is a bit of hope. It was my first attempt and I am looking forward to try it again. Lapping films look promising.

I have been playing with an 1um and 3um Lapping film sheets these last week. Today I used 1um with a bit of soap and let's say 5 out 10 quality shave compared to a shavette.

However I am happy because I might say this is the first razor that I have honed and shaved myself. I gave about 30 laps with water and a few with a bit of soap drop.

I really need a loupe and somehow I am relying on my phone camera to see the edge. Also I am not aware of my stropping process if I am doing correctly or not.

One thing is sure for me. Straight razor seems to be a long journey to learn how to achieve quality shaves through honing and stropping.

Last edited:
These 2 weeks I have been trying a lot with my straight razors. The best thing that happened was getting a new razor shave ready from a friend here. So I know how a good straight razors shaves.

Today I tried to hone my Titan razor using 9,3 and 1 um film. I put a tape this time and inked the bevel. Gave a lot of laps more than 100 I guess on 9 um. I tried to imitate Axmethod (10,5,4,3,2,1). The ink was removed very nice and I tried my best to remove it uniformally. I gave a lot of laps again, this time in regular form. Then about 40 laps on 3um,1um and Crox pasted strop. I didn't get the edge I was hoping again. It was kind on my skin which I love it but it wasn't that sharp. I had to kept a high angle on the razor to shave. I finished the third pass with a shavette.

I would call this a half failed attempt. It is the 4th time that I try to hone this Titan razor. I miss having a 60x loupe to see the edge and compare razors. I understand now that everything relies on the bevel. If I set it correctly, then the other passes should be easy to follow.

I haven't given up yet!

Today I tried to hone my Titan razor using 9,3 and 1 um film. I put a tape this time and inked the bevel. Gave a lot of laps more than 100 I guess on 9 um.
Did you do anything to verify bevel set? I find TNT and carson microbrite 60x inspection of edge most useful.

This is a very good video:

IME, If you're not explicitly sure that bevel set is 100%, it is probably bevel set that ends up being the problem.

Today I tried to hone my Titan razor
Razors with good steel and good geometry is generally much easier to hone then what you are using.
So, if you are struggling getting a good edge it might be easier if you have a different starting point, in my opinion.
There is a reason even experienced people will refuse to hone these razors for others.

Razors with good steel and good geometry is generally much easier to hone then what you are using.
So, if you are struggling getting a good edge it might be easier if you have a different starting point, in my opinion.
There is a reason even experienced people will refuse to hone these razors for others.
I understand. Btw is 9um film good enough to set a bevel?

You folks who use a straight I say your Brave, personally never had the guy to try a straight.

Now I do not have steady hands, would never ever consider a straight.🩸

Influenced by the comments of @JPO i tried to hone my other cheap razor but a vintage one (not titan) using 9um, 3, 1 um and a Crox strop.

I tried to create this razor burr... What is this burr? I don't think I can create it in 9um.i have about 150 half laps on one side. Anyway. I pushed it through 3 and 1 um using 50 laps plus pasted strop. The razor was sharp but not skin friendly at all. I got skin irritation although the result was very OK.

There is something missing in my attempt to set a bevel. I probably don't have the ability to understand when a bevel is set.

Ok, today I tried something else. I replaced the glass with a narrow marble so I could manage better the laps. I used a 1500 grit wet sandpaper to set the bevel. I think I gave my best to set the bevel and it was cutting hair after the 1500 grit. I went to 9um,3, 1 um and Crox pasted strop. The razor was sharper than last time but not as deep as I was hoping and the shave felt more harsh than it should. I know I am close and I hope I will not lose patience.

Does anyone know where I can buy non PSA Lapping films?

Ok, today I tried something else. I replaced the glass with a narrow marble so I could manage better the laps. I used a 1500 grit wet sandpaper to set the bevel. I think I gave my best to set the bevel and it was cutting hair after the 1500 grit. I went to 9um,3, 1 um and Crox pasted strop. The razor was sharper than last time but not as deep as I was hoping and the shave felt more harsh than it should. I know I am close and I hope I will not lose patience.

Does anyone know where I can buy non PSA Lapping films?
No, but I admire your persistence. This is exactly the character quality you need to succeed at shaving with a straight razor.

Just re-read the "I used a 1500 grit wet sandpaper to set the bevel." Wow. Are you in the US? If so, PM me, and I'll send you something you can use to set a bevel, no charge. Persistence should be rewarded.

No, but I admire your persistence. This is exactly the character quality you need to succeed at shaving with a straight razor.

Just re-read the "I used a 1500 grit wet sandpaper to set the bevel." Wow. Are you in the US? If so, PM me, and I'll send you something you can use to set a bevel, no charge. Persistence should be rewarded.
PM sent @Herrenberg

Just a short summary of my straight razors situation. I have now 4 straight razors, a nice shave ready vintage US razor was added to my collection. This razor that I have used only twice, now is my benchmark for the other 3 razors. As I have only a cheap strop from Aliexpress, I am preserving this razor till I get a nice affordable strop. I don't have any stone yet.

Out of those 3 razors only one is shave ready, a chinese GD66. The other 2, Chinese Titan razor and a noname vintage Solingen are not shave ready and I have been struggling since March making them shave ready with sandpaper, and lapping films. I am not having success with these 2 as I know it is related to the bevel setting by me.

Now, regarding this GD66, I have 2 questions if someone can share their experience.

I don't have a finisher stone, but I have a Crox pasted strop and a 0.1 um diamond pasted balsa. I have read that if after every shave, I put my razor on 20 laps (or more) under the balsa strop, I would not need to buy a finisher stone. I tried this time to refresh it on balsa and shaved with it. The first pass was really sharp but not that skin friendly. I gave about 10 laps on the Crox strop, plus 20 passes on the aliexpress strop and the edge was less sharp and much better on the skin.

Should I experiment now? I mean, what would be the best routine to maintain my edge using these two tools? My logic says to use few laps on diamond balsa and then some few passes on the Crox strop, but I am not very sure...

Also, what oil can I use to protect my razors? Does Vaseline oil work? It is the only oil I can find in a farmacy. I have used Vaseline also but not sure that I have done the right thing.

Thank you for reading such a long post.

Last edited:
Countinuing my feedback here, hoping to get some help.

After failing with the Titan razor and not understanding what I do wrong, I was focused today on the other vintage Solingen razor.

I put a tape to this razor. I took a piece of used P1500 wet dry sandpaper, my used 9um,3um and 1um.

I gave a lot of circles laps (50 each side) on sandpaper, did axmethod (20,10, ,4, 3,2, 1) in it and many edge trialing laps. I tried the edge in the thumb to see if it stuck. I said to myself, maybe it is ready. I could see that it cut hair but not as I wanted.

I just don't know honestly. Anyway, i went to lapping films 9,3 and 1 um with 50 laps each. I shaved with it using a wet lather. And man it worked! I couldn't believe that the razor was shaving and it was not harsh on my skin. After the first path, I gave about 10 laps on chromium pasted strop. The edge a bit softer which I liked it. I got a very nice 2 pass shave. Unbelievable. I wished the edge was a bit more sharper but it is OK. More than OK.

Now I don't understand how comes that the titan razor which is sharper than this Solingen razor is so harsh on my skin. I followed the same logic on both razors. Booh.

My two questions (hoping someone can read me) are :

Can I use Vaseline oil or baby oil to protect my razors from humidity?

What would be the refreshing of razors routine considering that I have 1 um Film (it is getting consumed), a Crox pasted strop and a 0.1um balsa strop (might need refreshing)?

Thank you

Top Bottom