What's new

Gissy's straight razor stories

I had my first shave this morning with my Whippeddog straight. I was bribed to video it. Two bottles of Pineaud Clubman was my price ;)
I have terror in my eyes, but it went well ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Overcoming the concern for a first straight shave and doing in in front of video camera is brave indeed! Well done!

great job....

deep breaths...

and great score on the 2 bottles of clubman... i would have caved for one.... lol....

Hehe, I most likely would as well. Two were his first offer ;)
Clubman is really hard to get hold on in Europe so I'm really looking forward to it!

Holy crap. I would never have recorded my first shave. I think it only lasted about a minute - I shaved one side of one cheek and then cracked open a bottle of Talisker. All you could have seen on the video was my swimming dilated eyes.

Kudos.

Ladykate made a fine choice on the Talisker, an amazing scotch.
My first shave looked like a traffic accident but with more blood. No way I would tape that one.
Have fun with the straights

I have sent many straight razor "children" out into the world to bring joy to mankind. This was the first time I have witnessed one of my razors in action the first time! What a cool video... I well remember the awkwardness, not knowing how to hold the blade, what angle to us, how it should be bent at the pin! You will build up your routine quickly.

Thanks, Gissy!

The 'Ol Whipped Dog

Thanks to everyone! Cool to know you have watched the video Larry!

That was maybe the thing I hadn't thought about. The total awkwardness of it all. It was fun though, and scary...

I enjoy watching first shaves with a straight razor. Takes me back to my first shave... being nervous and awkward, cutting the heck out of my jaw... fond memories.

Second shave today

Used:
John Engstrom Jr
Simpson Special BBB
Vergylde Hand soap
Thayers Lemin WH

Man what an improvement! Went two passes WTG and ended up with one weeper and a SAS! Some parts of my face are even BBS. I still have a lot to work on when it comes to angles and holding the razor on the different parts of my face, but it felt much less nervous today and that made for a much better shave. I was afraid my bad stropping tecnique had destryed the edge, but ir still felt sharp and quite smooth! Gissy is one happy shaver today!

Nice video. I like starting at 1:30, you can almost read your mind-do I, how do, oh boy, here we go, of crap, ahhhh I did not slice anything ogg.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
well done Gizzy. I done a video 3 Months into SR shaving, was a bit camera shy and found my hand shaking. To do one for your first shave is something else:thumbup:.
you will find each shave just gets better and you will be shaving like a pro in no time.

3rd have today

I got my Solace razor back honed by Zephyr today. I tried it on my armhair and it sure was sharp! I really wanted to try it out, but I have decided to wait until I trust my stropping more.

Used today:
John Engtrom Jr. razor
Simpson Special BBB
Vergylde Hand soap
Pinead Clubman AS

I tried stropping my blade on the balsa before the shave today. I must admit I'm really not sure if it did it any favours. It felt dull when I tried it on my arm hair, but after 50 laps on leather it shaved again.

The Vergylde Hand shaving soap is really nice! It reminds me quite a lot of La Toja shaving cream. One of my favorites. I went with two WTG passes again today. Using my left hand keeps getting easier. I now shave the whole of my left side with it. I really feel progress from shave to shave. I had one little weeper today too, so the shaving gods got a little blood.

The blade is still sharp and there is little tugging. My angle seems to be ok most of the time.

The shave today was a nice SAS with very little irritation. Even Clubman had very little sting, but what a nice scent. I really enjoyed it. Already looking forward to tomorrows shave.

I will go one week with two WTG passes and make a new video. After that I will add a XTG pass. My plan is to make one video each week to get opinions on my tecnique and tips on bettering it.

4th Shave today

Stropped about 50 laps on my Poor man strop. I have already cut it up quite a lot, but not in the last couple of days. I have already ordered one more.

Used today:
John Engstrom Jr. Straight
Simpson Special BBB
La Toja shave cream
Pineaud Clubman Special Reserve

I didn't shave after a shower today so I washed my face with some L'oreal face wash. I lathered up the La Toja to what I thought was a slick lather. I shaved over half my face, but something felt a little off. I thought it just was my poor prep, but decided to add more water to the lather before continuing. That helped a lot! The rest of the shave was much better. Still two WTG passes. This time with no blood offering to the gods.

The shave was ok, not very close, but very little irritation. I used Clubman Special Reserve without any bad sting.

Man I love this straight razor journey, De's had become a little dull....

Top Bottom