What's new

My first straight razor!

Today ive gotten my first straight razor. After shaving with a shavette for some time i wanted to try the real thing and thrifted this pretty zwiling. Its slightly rusted and has a tiny chip but im fairly confident in my blade sharpening skills and hope to be able to clean it up and shave. Please if you know anything about zwiling razors or have any tips please share il be happy to hear it.
1714147538624.png

Let us know how you make out. FWIW, that is one short razor; it appears to be shorter than my 4/8 razors. What is the height? I like 4/8 razors just fine, but much shorter than that, and it starts to be hard to hone and strop and shave with, because there's not an obvious feel to having the flat side on the stone/strop/face, and it's easy to flip it over accidentally, or round off the edge.

Short version is you're in for a challenge, but the thing is doable. Most would start with a 5/8 or a 6/8, though.

Sometimes people post a picture of a short razor and someone speaks up and says "that's actually a microtome," but I don't know how to spot that, nor whether one can reasonably shave with a microtome

If you use the edge of a kitchen knife with a straight razor, it will be a painful shaving feeling. If you really understand the edge of a straight razor, then you will have comfortable skin after shaving.

Heel needs correction, and that rust/pitting on the edge and belly could be problematic as you don’t have much blade width to loose.

As said stropping narrow blades can be problematic, especially to learn to strop on.

I have never gotten “good” shaves from narrower blades than 5/8th. I suspect those razors were trim razors for beards and goatees.

If new to honing razors, it will be a challenge, do post your progress and ask for any help.

HEEL CORRECTION – REPROFILING Made easy. It is a simple 5-minute fix.

Update i managed to remove the rust and a small chip under the rust. Howeve i dont have necessary gear for sharpening. My stones only go up to 3000 and i only have an improvised strop so i decide to maybe finnish this uo in the future. Ive thrifted this razor for dirt cheap on a flea market. I will most likely buy a proper ne w razor and return to this one maybe in the future. I was considering the Titan 1918.

Let us know how you make out. FWIW, that is one short razor; it appears to be shorter than my 4/8 razors. What is the height? I like 4/8 razors just fine, but much shorter than that, and it starts to be hard to hone and strop and shave with, because there's not an obvious feel to having the flat side on the stone/strop/face, and it's easy to flip it over accidentally, or round off the edge.

Short version is you're in for a challenge, but the thing is doable. Most would start with a 5/8 or a 6/8, though.

Sometimes people post a picture of a short razor and someone speaks up and says "that's actually a microtome," but I don't know how to spot that, nor whether one can reasonably shave with a microtome
Its a 2/8 ive posted the update above.

Thank you all for your wonderfull tips and repplies i really appreciate them! Check out my other posts i did some reviews abt D.e. and shavettes maybe youd enjoy the read.

Nice progress! Would look at getting some 6k ish grit stone and 10k ish stone to finish the razor progression. From there depending on budget you can look at paste or natural finishing stones.

Would avoid the titan razors though. Think you would be better off getting something from Griffith shave goods. They sell quality used and new razors.

Cheers

Top Bottom