What's new

DIY (Do It Yourself) Shave Gear!

I'd happily PIF my time you to for quality control testing as a courtesy, at no charge, just send the items my way :thumbup1: :001_rolle

on a more serious note, you should think about making some for sale, you have quite the talent,

Last edited:
Hey folks, I'm interested in DIY but would a dremel be enough for wood works? I am thinking of trying some brush handles, maybe stands etc.

Mine has the ugly factor but eccentric! I took a toothbrush holder and removed the top and replaced it with an electrical wall plate. It was next to impossible to cut with a jig saw (metal blade). I do not have a vice so I hand held it while trying to cut an opening for the brush. The outlet hole was perfect size for razor.

I plan on adding some small shelves out of Galaxy Black granite. It has gold flecks in it and I have a metal gold brush and razor. The shelves will go in-between the rack over the toilet and the cabinet over sink..

I added a vessel granite sink with a waterfall faucet, the sink is 28" long and completely covered my countertop that I made and I had to add an extension which is seen in first photo.

I am going to add a granite razor holder, not looking forward to drilling the holes, will have extra bits on hand.
$bbWP_20150108_004.jpg
$bbWP_20150108_003.jpg

Last edited:
I like it.

A dremel with a diamond cutoff wheel would be a better tool for cutting that than a jigsaw. If you must do something like that with a jigsaw, sandwich it between two pieces of something stiff but easier to cut.

Hey folks, I'm interested in DIY but would a dremel be enough for wood works? I am thinking of trying some brush handles, maybe stands etc.

I've done all my brush handles and stands with a dremel and regular sanding. Seems to be working just fine. Takes a bit longer, but it's very doable.

Great thread. I haven't made stands, but I used to keep all my shaving tackle in a plastic crate in the closet. I took it out each day to shave. The plastic one broke, so I made my own wooden crate and added my own wood transfer to the end to customize it. My wife likes it so much she said we should leave it out on the counter! Also, my custom painted blade bank (empty vegetable broth can).

$shave-crate.jpg$blade-bank.jpg

made these last year:

Simpsons chubby style handle. Made out of cherrywood. The knot is 24mm black badger from the golden nib

proxy.php

After looking up various wood grains, i couldn't find what it was. The guy at Rockler said it was some type of south american cut. 28mm silvertip from the golden nib

proxy.php

Spinning stand for 5 brushes

proxy.php

proxy.php

put a 'lazy susan' mechanism at the bottom.

proxy.php

Beautiful work! What did you use as a finish on the brush handles? I like the looks. Nice job on the lids too. Are those drawn on of did you cut them in? Would love to try that at some point.

Last edited:
Here's some of the progress pics of the travel case I made tonight out of an empty Altoids can that I came across at work. I thought it turned out alright for a first attempt. Can't wait for the razor I have coming from a trade that should fit it a lot better than my Maggard Razors MR18. The handle on it is just a little too long for this case.

$IMG_4201.jpg$IMG_4202.jpg$IMG_4203.jpg$IMG_4204.jpg

Beautiful work! What did you use as a finish on the brush handles? I like the looks. Nice job on the lids too. Are those drawn on of did you cut them in? Would love to try that at some point.

For the brushes, i used the helmsman marine spar finish.

I drew the designs on the lids, then i used a thin drill bit to "carve" it in. It's very shallow.

thank you sirs!

I drew inspiration from another poster to make these OS mug lids. I went ahead and drew the ship on them as well.

i made this brush and holder for a friend of mine last year. Brush is cherry wood and the stand is osage orange.

it takes me a while to make them, since i don't have a lathe. I just use a dremel and hand sanding.

My brother in law (who i converted to DE shaving) bought this mug and when he saw the OS mugs, asked me if i could make him a lid for his.

Those sure are some sexy lids!!
How do I go about acquiring some for my mugs?!

Here's my first generation DIY brush and razor stand.

$20150112_074154[1].jpg

Solid oak with a walnut dowel. Made it yesterday with help from my son, he wants one next.

Here's another "mark I" stand. Maple and purpleheart. Today I made the stock to make a bunch of these. I wasted a bunch of time making dowels (poorly) so I only got one through to completion. But I did resaw and thickness plane a bunch of pieces to make more.

$20150119_214214[1].jpg

I haven't done a lot of glueups before, but this was a lot of fun to make.

$20150119_213854[1].jpg

I'm most comfortable doing small pieces like this. I enjoy the finishing. These were sanded with 80 grit then 120 on the belt sander, then 220, 320, and 0000 steel wool by hand before I put on my own formula of wipe-on polyurethane varnish. These woods are harder and less porous than the oak I used in the first stand.

Closeup shot of the top:
$20150119_213908[1].jpg

and the base:
$20150119_213921[1].jpg

I didn't make the purpleheart bowl--I've had it for years and just started using it for my shave soap. So the purpleheart seemed right for the stand.

$20150119_214143[1].jpg

Top Bottom