What's new

DIY (Do It Yourself) Shave Gear!

No pics of it but I have my shave brush from my VDH premium kit being hanged up by paracord on a hook in the bathroom where your suppose to hang hair brushes. Tied a knot to hang on the hook than at the end made a hangmans noose and left enough at the end to where I could run it back up towards the hook again to tie it off again to stabilize it. So it usually hangs at around an 80 degree angle give or take a little if I had to guess. It ain't pretty but it works.

Here's some of the progress pics of the travel case I made tonight out of an empty Altoids can that I came across at work. I thought it turned out alright for a first attempt. Can't wait for the razor I have coming from a trade that should fit it a lot better than my Maggard Razors MR18. The handle on it is just a little too long for this case.

Okay, that is clever, I gotta admit.
Gives me a an idea. I'm gonna get me some tin cases, and "steal" your idea.
Also, in some of my gillette old type cases, the inside was totally rusted underneath, this is a good way to replace the inside!

Kudos my good man, thank you!

Last edited:
Here's another "mark I" stand. Maple and purpleheart. Today I made the stock to make a bunch of these. I wasted a bunch of time making dowels (poorly) so I only got one through to completion. But I did resaw and thickness plane a bunch of pieces to make more.

View attachment 541499

I haven't done a lot of glueups before, but this was a lot of fun to make.

View attachment 541500

I'm most comfortable doing small pieces like this. I enjoy the finishing. These were sanded with 80 grit then 120 on the belt sander, then 220, 320, and 0000 steel wool by hand before I put on my own formula of wipe-on polyurethane varnish. These woods are harder and less porous than the oak I used in the first stand.

Closeup shot of the top:
View attachment 541501

and the base:
View attachment 541503

I didn't make the purpleheart bowl--I've had it for years and just started using it for my shave soap. So the purpleheart seemed right for the stand.

View attachment 541504

Terrific piece! I love it!

Okay, that is clever, I gotta admit.
Gives me a an idea. I'm gonna get me some tin cases, and "steal" your idea.
Also, in some of my gillette old type cases, the inside was totally rusted underneath, this is a good way to replace the inside!

Kudos my good man, thank you!

No problem! I "stole" the idea from a product I'd seen online somewhere. It was for a plastic insert that you could buy, and I thought, "I can make that!"

You'll have to post pics when you're done with it. I just made another one out of the 5 oz. Holiday Altoids Tin that is going to be a birthday gift for my father in law with a birth year razor for him. I found the original instructions for the Gillette Adjustable online and printed them to put inside the lid.
View attachment 541550

No pics of it but I have my shave brush from my VDH premium kit being hanged up by paracord on a hook in the bathroom where your suppose to hang hair brushes. Tied a knot to hang on the hook than at the end made a hangmans noose and left enough at the end to where I could run it back up towards the hook again to tie it off again to stabilize it. So it usually hangs at around an 80 degree angle give or take a little if I had to guess. It ain't pretty but it works.

I employ a similar concept. Manila rope strung on the light fixture, with a slip knot to hold the brush.

Materials cost was negligible as the rope was re-purposed from an outdoor tarp. Fabrication time, including set-up, was under 30 seconds.

proxy.php

Got a nice razor rack from Target for $15. My wife actually made me get it and took the pictures of my den for me. Only been into wet shaving since early December. This rack has holes for 9 razors and two larger holes which could fit a straight. The Tech's fit perfectly. My Merkur 23c is a little tall and sticks up about a half inch. The TOBS ad Proraso Pre/post fit perfectly under the shelf. There is also a nice groove that runs the whole length which can hold various packs of razors.
$20150124_125750.jpg$20150124_125805.jpg$20150124_130211.jpg

Inspired by another member in the forum to turn a shadow box into a razor display. Not happy with how the hooks lined up, or misaligned I should say. Might work on rev 2 to somehow improve it. Nonetheless I'm pretty happy with it.

$CAM00330.jpg

Got a nice razor rack from Target for $15. My wife actually made me get it and took the pictures of my den for me. Only been into wet shaving since early December. This rack has holes for 9 razors and two larger holes which could fit a straight. The Tech's fit perfectly. My Merkur 23c is a little tall and sticks up about a half inch. The TOBS ad Proraso Pre/post fit perfectly under the shelf. There is also a nice groove that runs the whole length which can hold various packs of razors.
View attachment 543140View attachment 543141View attachment 543142
Saw this at target today for $17, no discounts yet :(

I recently discovered this sweet aluminum coke bottle and immediately turned it into a blade bank. IMHO it looks better than a soup can sitting around.
$IMG_3006.jpg

There's a lot of nice work and creativity displayed in this thread. It's particularly interesting to see the various types of materials that people use and the variety in the stands created. I purchased a stainless steel brush/razor stand but after seeing this I'm inclined to possibly make something. Thanks for the inspiration.

View attachment 543140View attachment 543141View attachment 543142
omg I have been looking for something like this and the prices is awesome under 20?!?! THEY DONT HAVE THEM ONLINE

I cannot take credit for this idea. I saw it some shaving forum last night, which I could not find again this evening. Anyway, I tried it today and so far it's working great! Plus, it's dirt cheap for those of us on a tight budget. The original pics I found for this are out there on the web somewhere, and the author used an Old Spice Swagger deodorant stick container, so thanks to whoever you are for the inspiration.

This doubles as a DE razor stand and travel case. Simply empty an antiperspirant / deodorant stick, pull out the top plug, widen the hole to the width of your DE razor handle, and you're good to go. You'll have to pinch the ends to get the head of the razor inside the protective cap, but it will fit and hold it snug.

As a razor stand, simply put a little bit of water inside the protective lid to weight it down as a base, turn the container upside down, snap the lid onto the bottom, and put your razor down through the top hole. There is a bit of a gap below the razor head for air circulation, and it will dry just fine.

$DERzrSrdntStnd1.jpg$DERzrStndDrdntStk2.jpg$DErzrDrdntStnd3.jpg$DERzrDntStnd4.jpg$DERzrDrdntStckStnd5.jpg

JMJ -

$IMG_1926.jpg$image.jpg

I made these from little boxes that you get at office supply stores. The foam and mirror are from a craft store. And the little hook is a 'gorilla hook'. There is a hole in the cover so it can be hung up when camping.

I also have a couple Altoids tins converted like some other guys here.

YBIC
Mike

Top Bottom