What's new

DIY (Do It Yourself) Shave Gear!

Words do not accurately describe how much I love the simplicity yet effective nature of this. I love this and apologize in advance I will be stealing this idea ! Kudos on a great idea/job ! - Ashecte

There is some nice stuff out there but it can get pricey if you don't shop at the thrift stores.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398223861.807578.jpg$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398223872.065217.jpg
After seeing something similar on Etsy with a fancy 3D printer I decided to give an Altoids razor case a try. I had the foam and tins on hand. I just trimmed the foam down to fit in the tin then outlined the razor parts with a DE blade (one of my hated Wilkinson Swords). A little bit of working at it and I now have 2 DIY custom razor cases! Unfortunately the tins are not deep enough for TTO so this will only work for my 3 piece razors.

$IMG_1410.jpg$IMG_1417.jpg
This is my take on the Altoid case. It's a Gillette Old Type Head on a Ikon Bulldog II Handle and a Gillette brass blade case with a few Astra SP's in the regular size Altoid tin. I have a Gillette Travel Tech with a couple blades in a small Altoids tin, also

My weekend project :) A bag of scrap leather and a sewing AWL.. Black case is my first try, Brown is my second...
I have learned from both of these and am gonna give it another try this weekend. While I don't think anything is wrong I have just learned I prefer the wide case like the brown but shorter like the black. SO it will be somewhere in between :)

This was SUPPER easy to do! This could even be accomplished with just leather, String and a sewing Needle. I would suggest leather and a sewing Awl and thread thou.

#1 Take an approximately 3 inch wide strip of leather folding over bottom edge and sewing along edge a little longer then your razor.
#2 Fold over top edge approximately 1 inch and sew completely around edge forming a box shape.
#3 Cut an approximately 1/4 inch strip of leather for tie string.
#4 Cut 2 slices in the top flap square to insert tie string.
#5 Insert tie string and your done!

Instructions have approximate sizes it is best to fit to your razor. As you can see the black case is smaller as the razor its for is smaller for example its only 2 3/4 inch wide instead of 3 inches for the larger in the brown case.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398233983.455231.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398234007.166121.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398234026.048577.jpg
$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398234040.471449.jpg

Last edited:
Running out of space have over run my make shift stand that resides in cabinet and filling up re purposed pipe stand also.

Need to create a stand that will fit in shelf of cupboard to release some space for software so I got excited when I was trawling the bay.

Was really looking forward to repurposing a 3 tier acrylic nail polish stand but it turned out to be 10mm too wide. That got me looking at

Perspex shelf risers and I found one that will fit and would allow about 20 razors to be displayed, I will post when acquired and modified.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 657
$image.jpg

A repurposed Vintage Artillery Fuse less it's guts polished up - A nice stand now for my Sabi -Jagger

Last edited:
Here are a few of my creations. I mainly make fine writing instruments but as of late I have tried razors and brushes. My razors have been MachIII but will be trying some DE razors in the near future. Hope you enjoy.$PICT1025.JPG$PICT1032.JPG$PICT1047_1.jpg$Razor_1A.jpg$PICT7395.JPG

So three weeks ago I decided to get into DE shaving to save money (yeah gave that idea up at week two). Now my problem is simple, after only three weeks, I am running out of space around my sink.
The problem:
$problem.jpg

So I bought some wood and a little stain and now I have my shaving den setup.
$all.jpg

$firstHi.jpg$second.jpg

Now I have 6 razors, but room for 15, so a whole new problem.
icon6.png

And as in all thing one must pay their taxes so I had to build a third one for the wife:
$tax.jpg

This isn't much of a DIY and maybe it's been posted before. Garden hose o-rings on wood razor stand to cushion and elevate a bit. $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399427440.803417.jpg

I got my hands on some scrap high density foam and made a quick attempt at an Altoids case. I have enough foam left over to really take my time with the cuts and measurements, but I have a trip this weekend so this was a good test run.

Attachments

• $case1a.jpg
    $case1a.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 487
  • $case1b.jpg
    $case1b.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 491
  • $case1c.jpg
    $case1c.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 489
I made myself a shave stand out of a couple of $4.00 oak slabs at Lowe's Hardware. The reasons were that brush stands are ridiculously priced and when you find one ready made the opening is too narrow for my brush.
$shave stand.jpg

That looks good CA Cajun. I need to make one for my brushes and another one for my razors. Need to keep my razors outside the bathroom because of the high humidity.

Top Bottom