What's new

Bloody Straights! A journal.

No shave today.

EDIT: The Feather AC SS (green/folding) arrived in the mail (purchased from shaving.ie). For some odd reason my new razor didn't come with Feather Pro Guard blade samples. But luckily and thanks to Telly I had some Kai Mild blades waiting for the razor's arrival.

SHAVE 7: Feather Artist Club Stainless Steel (Kai Mild - D1)

First Pass (WTG): Felt easy. Strange.

Second Pass (XTG): This is where the razor/blade shined. I shaved ear to nose/mouth and the blade cut the whiskers effortlessly. This was eye opening because the Parker shavette/DE blade didn't do that. It would stop in its tracks and I would have to apply pressure, buff, or use another angle; it was frustrating. The XTG pass has been the most challenging for me and I'd always nicks myself. No nicks today. The Kai blade easily cut through most of the whiskers.

Third Pass (ATG): Again I hadn't planned to shave and common sense was screaming at me not to go ATG today. It had to be done. Not bad; much better than the Parker. I am not sure if I re-opened yesterday's nicks or not but I had a few small nicks and a couple of weepers.

I gave my face a break by not using the DE to touch up.

Very impressed with the Feather AC SS and the Kai Mild blades. It is almost unfair to compare the two shavettes because there is such a huge price difference. The Parker is a great starter shavette but I won't be needing it anymore and it'll go on BST in the next day or two.

With each shave I am more comfortable wielding a razor with scales but I have a long way to go. The main obstacles are still pressure, angle, and keeping the skin taut but a well balanced razor and a sharp, smooth blade make it easier. I gotta try the Feather Pro or Super blades.

Attachments

• $faccss1.jpg
    $faccss1.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 197
  • $facss2.jpg
    $facss2.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Chimensch's video is nice. i don't understand what you mean by "I don't know how he can shave with the opposite hand on the first pass." it's like an normal N-S pass but opposite hand with "reverse" grip. it's an interesting technique, but other than grip, it's a similar WTG-style pass. It's a "pull" stroke.

you'll get it down with some more practice...

edit--

BTW another good video is http://www.rasurpur.de/media/rasurpurvideosection/rasurpurshave/rasurpurshave.html

Jon, thanks again for the video. It was a huge help.

This thread has come just in time for me. I like trying things out and so I bought a Dovo Shavette the other day and hope to start shaving with it next week. Noahpictures, with the experience you have gained on your first shaves, what would you say is the single most important thing to keep in mind when starting out? Is is skin stretching? Apart from that, did you not try a regular straight at some point earlier on or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Good luck with your coming shaves, this is a thread I am going to follow closely.

Very impressed with the Feather AC SS and the Kai Mild blades. It is almost unfair to compare the two shavettes because there is such a huge price difference. The Parker is a great starter shavette but I won't be needing it anymore and it'll go on BST in the next day or two.

Is it really a great starter shavette. i mean i understand it's nicer than others, but would you recommend it to someone? after having tried the feather? even for the difference in money.. disclosure here in that i have never tried one. i held one at AFDAVIS's and at Pasteurs i believe.

I guess what i am getting at is "will someone who thinks, or is even told "it's not like shaving with a straight" get the right experience from it" ? I tend to hesitate buying my friends cheap razors and brushes (i did it anyway) because I don't think it imparts the same feeling i get when i use something that cost a bit more. i feel like i may be doing more harm than good with some f the cheaper equipment...

thanks and keep it up!!

This thread has come just in time for me. I like trying things out and so I bought a Dovo Shavette the other day and hope to start shaving with it next week. Noahpictures, with the experience you have gained on your first shaves, what would you say is the single most important thing to keep in mind when starting out? Is is skin stretching? Apart from that, did you not try a regular straight at some point earlier on or am I mixing you up with someone else?

Good luck with your coming shaves, this is a thread I am going to follow closely.

I'll be looking for your thoughts on the Dovo shavette in your journal which by the way is great. Here are the top three things to keep in mind when starting out:

1. Applying the proper amount of pressure.
2. Keeping the skin taut.
3. Becoming comfortable wielding the razor. It is very awkward during the first few shaves because the scales get in the way leading to frustration.

Yes I tried using straights in 2010 for about a month. I had a couple of good shaves. By the end of the month, I felt the razor needed a touch up and I didn't have the skills or the equipment (I only had a strop) so I stopped; I also missed having comfortable, close shave using a DE. This time I am easing into it by using shavettes first, then straights and learn how to strop, then learn how to hone. Easy said but that's the plan.

Is it really a great starter shavette. i mean i understand it's nicer than others, but would you recommend it to someone? after having tried the feather? even for the difference in money.. disclosure here in that i have never tried one. i held one at AFDAVIS's and at Pasteurs i believe.

I guess what i am getting at is "will someone who thinks, or is even told "it's not like shaving with a straight" get the right experience from it" ? I tend to hesitate buying my friends cheap razors and brushes (i did it anyway) because I don't think it imparts the same feeling i get when i use something that cost a bit more. i feel like i may be doing more harm than good with some f the cheaper equipment...

thanks and keep it up!!

For $20 the Parker is the greatest shavette in the world ;) The Feather AC SS costs about $135 plus the blades are expensive. I ordered both at the same time. The reviews for the Parker were mixed. Everyone seems to like the Feather.

To answer your question, yes someone who is interested in trying straights will get the right experience from using the Parker shavette. Holding a razor with scales is very different than anything else and the Parker is the least inexpensive tool to practice on.

Edit: For me the Feather AC SS is worth it.

Last edited:
SHAVE 8: Feather Artist Club Stainless Steel (Kai Mild - D2)

First Pass (WTG): Went well. No nicks. Remembered to keep skin taut. For some reason I reduce my beard more using a DE on the first pass. I am sure once my technique improves I'll be abl​e to reduce my beard more.

Second Pass (XTG): Slight improvement over yesterday, except I nicked myself while going over unlathered area near the jawline a couple of times and was careless.

Third Pass (ATG): About the same as yesterday except the nicks aren't that bad.

Last pass was a XTG with a DE to clean up. The DE gave a lot of audible feedback while shaving below jawline, neck and chin. I miss shaving with a DE and having perfect shaves. I think twice a week I'll shave with a DE; this way my face will also have a chance to heal.

I am getting better at keeping the skin taut. I noted that I nick myself when I am careless, become frustrated or try to be perfect by going over the same area repeatedly.

At this point it seems that I improve by a whopping one percent per shave.

Last edited:
What metod do you use to divide the DE blades for the shavette in two halves? Some seem to snap them, others cut them with scissors.

What metod do you use to divide the DE blades for the shavette in two halves? Some seem to snap them, others cut them with scissors.

For the Parker shavette, I snap them in half while they're still in the wrapper; I find it safer than any other way. I am not sure how a Dovo shavette works.

SHAVE 9: Feather Artist Club Stainless Steel (Kai Mild - D3)

Today I focused on the process instead of trying to get a perfect shave. The goal was to not correct mistakes; if I missed a spot I moved forward and wouldn't go over unlathered areas.

First Pass (WTG): Went well except one careless movement that resulted in one small nick.

Second Pass (XTG): Went very well. No nicks. I couldn't believe it!

Third Pass (ATG): Only above the jawline. I was having such a comfortable shave that I didn't want to risk it by going ATG below the jaw line (neck).

I cleaned up with a DE.

Most comfortable shave so far! It was as close as yesterday's shave but much more comfortable. Needless to say that I am very happy. Loving the Feather AC SS.

SHAVE 10: Feather Artist Club Stainless Steel (Kai Mild - D4)

The goal was to do as well if not better than yesterday.

First Pass (WTG): Went well. Kept the skin taut through most of the pass. Pressure and angle were good through most of the pass.

Second Pass (XTG):
Pressure and angle were off at times. Kept the skin taut. No nicks.

Third Pass (ATG):
On some areas I use a reverse grip and today I used too much pressure and nicked myself once. Pressure and angle were off at times. Much better than yesterday.

At this point I decided not to use a DE and go for another pass to get a decent shave.

Fourth Pass plus touch up (ATG): Not bad. Pressure and angle were off at times. I shaved over certain hard to reach areas repeatedly causing four nicks; not too bad. I also used blade buffing which worked well.

After 4.5 passes I was proud of myself for having an acceptable shave. For the last two shaves I've been using Shave Secret oil as a pre-shave. I think it helps.

Maybe after shave 15 or once I become comfortable holding the razor and figuring out all angles of hard to reach places (mainly jawline and around the chin), I'll begin to rate the shaves based on closeness and comfort.

The Feather AC SS and the Kai Mild blades are worth every penny. One of these days I'll try the Feather Pro blade.

For the Parker shavette, I snap them in half while they're still in the wrapper; I find it safer than any other way. I am not sure how a Dovo shavette works.

once i get my AC SS back, i am gonna see if i can fit half a DE into it.. haven't seen anyone experiment with that.

Noah! I got to tell you, from what I have heard; you are doing great with that blood letter!! If you ever move to a Western straight, I think it'll be easy for you! Awesome read.

EDIT - hey do you still want to try a straight?

Noah! I got to tell you, from what I have heard; you are doing great with that blood letter!! If you ever move to a Western straight, I think it'll be easy for you! Awesome read.

EDIT - hey do you still want to try a straight?

Thanks David. Of course!

EDIT: I should have one in a week or two but I've promised myself not to use it until I am getting comfortable shaves with the Feather.

Last edited:
SHAVE 11: Feather Artist Club Stainless Steel (Kai Mild - D5)

First Pass (WTG): Went well. Kept the skin taut through most of the pass. Pressure and angle were good through most of the pass.

Second Pass (XTG): Went OK. Pressure and angle were off at times. Kept the skin taut but nicked myself on the jaw by using too much pressure with the wrong angle.

Third Pass (ATG): Not bad. At times applied too much pressure and went over unlathered areas. Angle and pressure were off at times, nicked myself at least twice.

Fourth Pass plus touch up (ATG): Bad. Lost focus. Repeatedly shaved over hard to reach areas.

Today's shave was closer than yesterday but it was less comfortable. I didn't stick with my plan and made the usual mistakes of trying to get the perfect shave, doing too much too soon and becoming frustrated. Problem areas were below the jawline.

Last edited:
SHAVE 12: Feather Artist Club Stainless Steel (Kai Mild - D6)

First Pass (WTG): Went well. Remembered to keep the skin taut, angle and pressure were good.

Second Pass (XTG): Went well. Angle and pressure were OK through most of the pass. No new nicks. Re-opened one nick from yesterday.

Third Pass (ATG): Angle and pressure were off at times. Couldn't find the right angle while shaving certain areas but didn't try to be perfect by correcting missed areas. No new nicks. Re-opened two nicks from yesterday.

Fourth Pass plus touch up (ATG): Angle and pressure were off at times leading to frustration but didn't repeat yesterday's mistakes. Two small nicks on the upper lip.

Big improvement over yesterday. Probably the most comfortable shave so far. During the last three shaves I didn't need to use a DE to clean up.

EDIT: I realized today that keeping the skin taut is not just stretching the skin. There is some skill involved. For reference I recommend watching a video of a barber shaving a client with a straight razor.

Last edited:
SHAVE 13: Feather Artist Club Stainless Steel (Kai Mild - D7)

First Pass (WTG): Went well. Remembered to keep the skin taut, angle and pressure were good.

Second Pass (XTG): Went well. Kept the skin taut. Angle and pressure were OK for the most part. No nicks.

Third Pass (ATG): Best ATG pass so far. Technique was off at times. Only one small nick.

At this point I had the most comfortable 3 pass straight razor shave. I decided that I wanted to try some new angles, grips to shave below the jawline.

Fourth Pass plus touch up (all over the place): Not bad. I tried reverse grip ATG the grain and felt awkward holding the razor, needless to say angle and pressure were off. I made a couple of mistakes causing two weepers.

The shave was closer than yesterday but slightly less comfortable. Every shave I learn a thing or two about what works and what doesn't.

Top Bottom