What's new

Bloody Straights! A journal.

SHAVE 19: Griffon 72 (Germany) 5/8 Half Hollow & Dovo 5/8 Full Hollow
Date Honed: January 2012, Unknown

Closeness: 8.5
Comfort: 7.5

I really wanted to shave with the Dovo but it wasn't shave ready. I was able to shave some arm hair with it but couldn't pass the hanging hair test. I don't have a hone yet so I went to the crox on balsa. After eighty laps, it passed the HHT. I wanted to compare the two razors so I also stropped the Griffon sixty laps on the crox and it also passed the HHT along the entire edge. One thing I noticed is that the Griffon is an inch shorter than the Dovo.

First Pass (WTG):
Used the Griffon. No nicks.

Second Pass (WTG):
With the grain again, this time with Dovo. No nicks.

Third Pass (XTG):
Continued with the Dovo. The razor was sharper, louder and less forgiving than the Griffon. I wasn't used to it so it felt a bit unwieldy. I used too much pressure and nicked myself on the neck a couple of times.

Fourth Pass (ATG):
Done with the Dovo. A couple of more nicks.

Fifth Pass (ATG):
Done with the Griffon. This little razor is very precise and forgiving but didn't feel as sharp as the Dovo.

I wiped dry the razors and stropped each 30 laps on leather. I mixed mineral oil (baby oil) and 70% alcohol and dipped the blades including the tang and pivot. I ran a piece of paper towel between the scales to get rid of any moisture.

Today's shave was closer but less comfortable than yesterday. I really like both razors. They are very different.

Last edited:
SHAVE 20: Griffon 72 (Germany) 4/8 Half Hollow
Date Honed: February 2012

Closeness: 9
Comfort: 8

I measured the razor and it's between 4/8 and 5/8 so I rounded down and will be referring to it as a 4/8. I honed (link) the razor using lapping film. I really like honing.

First Pass (WTG): The razor felt sharper than yesterday. No nicks.

Second Pass (XTG): Very happy with the performance of the razor. No nicks.

Third Pass (ATG): Re opened yesterday's nicks. Not bad.

Fourth Pass (ATG): I really didn't want to use a DE to clean (Feather AC SS went to a new home) and I wanted a close shave. I used too much pressure and repeatedly went over un-lathered areas causing a few weepers.

Fifth Pass (ATG): Done with the Griffon. This little razor is very precise and forgiving but didn't feel as sharp as the Dovo.

Overall I am happy with the shave except the last pass. I need to improve beard reduction before I get to the ATG pass.

Last edited:
SHAVE 21: Dovo 5/8 Full Hollow
Date Honed: Unknown

Closeness: 6
Comfort: 9

The goal was to work my technique and beard reduction.

First Pass (WTG): No nicks.

Second Pass (WTG): No nicks.

Third Pass (XTG): Used too much pressure. The Dovo is more unforgiving than the smaller Half Hollow Griffon.

The shave wasn't close but it was comfortable. During the shave I noticed a water spot on the razor. I think it happened during the shave! I am not sure how to get rid of it.

SHAVE 22: Griffon 72 (Germany) 4/8 Half Hollow

Closeness: 7
Comfort: 9.5

The blade didn't pass the HHT along the entire edge. Stropped on CrOx (balsa) 30 laps then 60 laps on leather. It passed the HHT.

FIRST PASS (WTG): I shaved a little too quickly and probably used too much pressure. Kept the skin taut; angle was good through out the pass.

SECOND PASS (WTG): The blade reduced the beard even more which means that I didn't reduce the beard enough on the first pass. I'll be doing two WTG passes until I get better at beard reduction on the first pass.

THIRD PASS (XTG): The blade struggled a bit. I used too much pressure causing razor burn. Angle was good. Kept the skin taut through most of the shave but could have done better. From now on I will not go ATG using a straight until I get better at beard reduction. I cleaned up with a DE.

The good news is that I didn't nick myself; the bad news is that I need to work on technique and be more efficient. I also noted that I don't take advantege of the entire edge of the blade. I mostly shave with less than the upper half the blade.

I am glad that I chose the Sight Unseen Deal at Whipped Dog. I find the CrOX invaluable and the small half hollow razor is efficient and forgiving. I might stick with this razor unitl I get better. Easy said than done.

I am destroying the 2 inch strop. My next one will be wider.

SHAVE 23: Griffon 72 (Germany) 9/16 Half Hollow
Date Honed: February 2012
Leather Strop (Pre, Post shave): 60, Forgot!

Closeness: 9
Comfort: 9 (DFS)

Blade passed the HHT along the entire edge. Today I created a wetter lather and it helped.

FIRST PASS (WTG): Kept the skin taut, angle and pressure were good. No nicks.

SECOND PASS (WTG): Same as first pass. No nicks.

THIRD PASS (XTG): Angle was good. Didn't keep the skin taut through the entire pass. Used too much around the chin and below jawline. No nicks.

FOURTH PASS (ATG): Took too much time. Made old mistakes by trying to get the perfect shave by repeatedly shaving over certain areas. No nicks.

Results were much better than yesterday. I'd like to shave a little quicker and make the lather more slick.

Last edited:
i like your 'date honed' info. Maybe i'll start tracking that too. It'll be curious to see if I can learn to make an edge last longer and longer.

Man things are really going well for you noah! Awesome!

The fact that you like honing - will go a long way to the pleasure of using a straight me thinks :biggrin1:. You'll love it when you get a stone - or ten lol. I am kind of shocked (but glad) with how well the cro worked for you. I got some, and find it a hinderance. I know the Dovo green paste isn't the same, but i find it works better for me - it's weird!

I'd like to shave a little quicker and make the lather more slick.
Don't do it! It'll come when it comes - try some Dovo cream, I hear its great! You can get it at the Superior Shave. I'll be trying some when I run out of something lol. ( I got to stop buying creams lol! )

Good job Noah--You seem to be getting he hang of it pretty quickly

Thanks Barry. Don't be so sure. I usually take two steps forward, one step back.

i like your 'date honed' info. Maybe i'll start tracking that too. It'll be curious to see if I can learn to make an edge last longer and longer.

Yep. The edge will probably last longer as our technique gets better.

Man things are really going well for you noah! Awesome!

The fact that you like honing - will go a long way to the pleasure of using a straight me thinks :biggrin1:. You'll love it when you get a stone - or ten lol. I am kind of shocked (but glad) with how well the cro worked for you. I got some, and find it a hinderance. I know the Dovo green paste isn't the same, but i find it works better for me - it's weird!

Don't do it! It'll come when it comes - try some Dovo cream, I hear its great! You can get it at the Superior Shave. I'll be trying some when I run out of something lol. ( I got to stop buying creams lol! )

Thanks! I have read good things about Dovo pastes. I'll have to give them a try.

I am not the most patient person...unless I see blood then I am the most patient person on the planet. :w00t:

Thanks Barry. Don't be so sure. I usually take two steps forward, one step back.

Yep. The edge will probably last longer as our technique gets better.

Thanks! I have read good things about Dovo pastes. I'll have to give them a try.

I am not the most patient person...unless I see blood then I am the most patient person on the planet. :w00t:

:lol:

Well that's not altogether true. You did do your due diligence with respect to prepping for str8 use. I have to admit I rather admire that!

SHAVE 24: Boker 20th Century 5/8 Full Hollow
Leather Strop (Pre, Post shave): 60, 20

Closeness: 8.5
Comfort: 8

Honed my first Boker without much success yesterday. Prior to honing the razor would shave some arm hair and couldn't pass the HHT. I went through the progression starting with 6 micron 30 laps, 3 micron 30 laps, 1 micron 40 laps, .3 micron 50 laps. Didn't get a lot of feedback. .3 micron gave me the most feedback. Razor didn't pass the hanging hair test but could shave arm hair. Went to crox 60 laps, Iron Oxide 40 laps, razor finally and barley passed the HHT test. Stropped on leather.

FIRST PASS (WTG): Kept the skin taut, angle and pressure were good. Moved too fast. No nicks.

THIRD PASS (XTG) Not bad. Made typical errors such as correcting mistakes by repeatedly going over areas where the whiskers are very coarse. Used too much pressure. One nick. I made a few mistakes but was surprised at how forigiving and smooth the blade was.

FOURTH PASS (ATG): The blade struggled on the tough areas such as jawline, neck, chin and mustache. Again made typical mistakes and used too much pressure causing razor burn and a couple of nicks.

FIFTH PASS (touch up): No nicks.

Overall I am very happy with the shave and the razor because I got away with a lot of mistakes.

Last edited:
SHAVE 25: Dovo Pearlex 5/8 Full Hollow
Leather Strop (Pre, Post shave): 40, 20

Closeness: 9.5

I built a wetter, more slicker lather. In the future I won't rinse face between passes in order to keep hands dry during the shave and it might force me to build a wetter/slicker lather.

Today I focused on not correcting mistakes nor applying too much pressure. Nice and easy.

THIRD PASS (XTG): All was well until I tried to slice my nose off. It wasn't that bad.
Note to self: Hold blade with both hands while while shaving XTG, ATG the mustach area.

FOURTH PASS (ATG): Kept the skin taut through most of the pass. Angle and pressure were off at times. Two nicks around the mouth. Not bad at all.

The closest shave so far with a traditional straight razor. This is the sharpest razor I have. The shave was almost BBS except on the chin. I will shave with the same razor tomorrow.

Good stuff again. Just starting to look at lapping films as my first hones since I can't afford a coti right now (but the day will come). Like the added "date honed" and what you did with results to improve the edge. Your journal is great for me to read as you are ahead of me but I'm not so far behind that I can't relate to what your saying.

Hope you keep the journal up !!!

SHAVE 26: Dovo Pearlex 5/8 Full Hollow
Leather Strop (Pre, Post shave): 40, Forgot!

Closeness: 9.5 (DFS)

Made a slicker more wet lather. I also didn't rinse between passes to minimize water contact with the blade.

THIRD PASS (XTG): Pressure and angle were off at times. I used too much pressure at times especially when the razor would stop dead in its tracks. I should have backed off. No nicks but some razor burn.

FOURTH PASS (ATG): Angle and pressure were off at times. Two nicks on the jawline near the chin. I have a cleft there and it's always been difficult to shave that area. I pushed the razor using too much pressure causing two small cuts. I need to reduce whiskers more effectively on the earlier passes. .

Not bad but there was almost no improvement. Maybe tomorrow I'll change things a bit. If I score a 10 comfort rating before 30 shaves I'll be really happy.

Good stuff again. Just starting to look at lapping films as my first hones since I can't afford a coti right now (but the day will come). Like the added "date honed" and what you did with results to improve the edge. Your journal is great for me to read as you are ahead of me but I'm not so far behind that I can't relate to what your saying.

Hope you keep the journal up !!!

As a fellow newbie so far I've learned the hard way that setting the proper bevel is utmost important (Sharpie marker test). Respect the progression.

SHAVE 27: C-MON Blackie 5/8 Full Hollow
Date Honed: February 10, 2012 (Here is the LINK post #97 to how I honed it)
Leather Strop (Pre, Post shave): 50, 25

Closeness: 9.5 (DFS)
Comfort: 9.5 (no nicks some razor burn)

Had a great shave with a razor I honed last night.

THIRD PASS (XTG): Pressure was off at times. No nicks. Some razor burn.

FOURTH PASS (ATG): Pressure was off at times. No nicks. Some razor burn.

Almost BBS. The Proraso splash sting a bit. A little too much razor burn to score a perfect 10 Comfort rating. Could not be happier. :001_smile

Last edited:
Top Bottom