What's new

Bloody Straights! A journal.

Thanks David. Of course!

EDIT: I should have one in a week or two but I've promised myself not to use it until I am getting comfortable shaves with the Feather.

Arg - I should have subscribed to this Journal lol - I missed that!! What straight did you get?

I wanted to say this in my last post but forgot - when I stopped caring about BBS and focusing on a "fun" shave, somehow it didn't take long to start getting BBS with my straight. I hope you continue to focus on that!

Arg - I should have subscribed to this Journal lol - I missed that!! What straight did you get?

I wanted to say this in my last post but forgot - when I stopped caring about BBS and focusing on a "fun" shave, somehow it didn't take long to start getting BBS with my straight. I hope you continue to focus on that!

I got a Dovo on BST and a Wostenholm on the bay. Both are 5/8th and most likely not shave ready. They should be here by the middle of next week. I still need to buy a strop.

Didn't shave with the Feather today. I am participating in the Cobra Classic pass around so I'll be taking a couple of days off.

SHAVE 14: Feather Artist Club Stainless Steel (Kai Mild - D8)

Closeness: 9 (DFS)
Comfort: 9.5

I had a comfortable BBS shave with the Cobra Classic yesterday but I missed shaving with a straight too much. Today's shave was the best shave so far.

First Pass (WTG): Kept the skin taut, pressure and angle were good during the pass. Improved beard reduction. No nicks.

Second Pass (WTG): I might have figured out how to shave XTG below the jawline and neck area. No nicks.

Third Pass (ATG): No nicks. I couldn't believe it!

Fourth Pass (Touch up): Two small nicks while going ATG; one was clearly due to being careless and the other due to applying too much pressure and not keeping the skin taut.

I rinsed my face with cold water, patted dry, applied Witch Hazel and looked in the mirror and there was no blood. The Witch Hazel had sealed the nicks. I wondered if I should use an aftershave with alcohol for the first time. I applied Skin Bracer Original splash and not a single profane word was uttered. Only a slight burn. Victory!

I rated today's shave on a scale of one to ten. Previously the most comfortable shave was an eight, today was almost a ten; huge improvement. I'll find out tomorrow if I can repeat the results.

Last edited:
Nice going! I had my first Dovo Shavette shave yesterday after over 200 shaves with regular straights. I used a very forgiving blade (no name personna) and no pressure at all. I used the same routine I use with regular straights and had a sensational shave. If you decide to transition to regular straights at some point, the technique you have learnt thus far should help you a great deal. I do not think I will switch to disposable blade straights but I may keep the Shavette around for short trips where I want my gear to be as compact as possible or for days when I am in a hurry.

Nice going! I had my first Dovo Shavette shave yesterday after over 200 shaves with regular straights. I used a very forgiving blade (no name personna) and no pressure at all. I used the same routine I use with regular straights and had a sensational shave. If you decide to transition to regular straights at some point, the technique you have learnt thus far should help you a great deal. I do not think I will switch to disposable blade straights but I may keep the Shavette around for short trips where I want my gear to be as compact as possible or for days when I am in a hurry.

Thanks Erik. I am glad you're liking the shavette. So far I've found them very helpful. I should be switching to traditional straight in the next two weeks.

SHAVE 15: Feather Artist Club Stainless Steel (Kai Mild - D9)

That's two great shaves in a row. Kept the skin taut, pressure and angle were good during most of the shave.

First Pass (WTG): Careless mistake caused one small nick.

Second Pass (WTG): No nicks.

Third Pass (ATG): No nicks.

Fourth Pass (Touch up): No nicks.

Goal was to repeat yesterday's results. Today I only had one small nick but slightly more razor burn due to applying too much pressure. I am DFS below the jawline and BBS above. I figured out how not to nick myself on the mustache and soul patch areas where the whiskers are more coarse by holding the blade with both hands and shaving very carefully while shaving ATG and sometimes XTG.

I still need to improve cutting whiskers on the neck and jawline but I am no rush. At this point I am happy with comfortable DFS shaves.

Last edited:
SHAVE 16: Feather Artist Club Stainless Steel (Kai Mild - D10)

Comfortable DFS after 4 passes. Kept the skin taut, pressure and angle were good during most of the shave.

First Pass (WTG): No nicks.

Second Pass (XTG): No nicks. EDIT: there is a typo in the previous two entries. The second pass is supposed to be XTG.

Fourth Pass (Touch up): One nick on the corner of the mouth by going over the area repeatedly and not keeping the skin taut.

I was DFS below the jawline and BBS above the jawline. I should receive my shave ready razor and poorman's strop from Whipped Dog by the end of the week.​

Last edited:
SHAVE 17 (title should be 17 not 15): Feather Artist Club Stainless Steel (Kai Mild - D11)

Closeness: 9.5 (DFS)
Comfort: 10

Best shave so far. Comfortable DFS after 4 passes. Kept the skin taut, pressure and angle were good during most of the shave.

First Pass (WTG): No nicks.

Second Pass (XTG): No nicks.

Fourth Pass (Touch up): No nicks.

Slowly getting better at reducing whiskers more efficiently. BBS above the jawline and DFS on the neck and chin. I should have a shave ready razor by the end of the week. Can't wait.

Last edited:
A few observations. For the first few shaves I felt awkward holding the razor; I would freak out whenever the scales blocked my vision (funny to write now) and I focused too much on the "correct" angle and zero pressure. Some rules that apply to DE/SE razors don't apply to straight razors. During the first five or six shaves, the improvement rate was very slow. Here are some things that helped me:

1. Shaving with a straight razor requires two hands. One hand to hold the razor and the other hand to keep the skin taut by slightly stretching it to create a flat surface. The safety bar on a DE or SE razor keeps the skin flat. A straight razor doesn't have a safety bar. Watching a video of a barber shaving a client with a straight razor will be helpful.

2. Letting the weight of the straight razor do the work and using near zero pressure doesn't work as it does with DE, SE razors. Shaving with a straight razor requires the right amount of pressure and that is learned with practice.

3. It really helped when I stopped chasing the perfect shave. I also stopped correcting mistakes such as repeatedly shaving over a missed spot. If a spot is missed it is better to keep shaving onward. It is OK to clean up with a DE razor at the end.

4. I watched a great video (see link on post #12) by Martin Nienberg. It is only a two pass shave but I learned many things from him. I was impressed by his pace, focus and efficiency. Most videos on youtube are done by guys showing off which can be confusing for people trying to learn.

5. If the razor bites, most likely the skin is not held taut and/or the pressure and angle are off.

6. If the razor stops dead at its tracks, most likely the skin is not held taut and/or the pressure and angle are off, or the razor is not sharp enough. Usually this happens where the whiskers are really coarse such as the mustache and chin area.

Last edited:
Great notes, thanks. Especially #2. I kept reading to let the razor do the work but it didn't work for me. I kept thinking maybe I needed a heavier razor or even a wedge as the razor would bind, or stop in its tracks. But the right amount of pressure is probably the answer even though I don't know exactly what that is yet.

SHAVE 18: Griffon 72 (Germany) 5/8 Half Hollow
Date Honed: January 2012

Closeness: 7
Comfort: 8

I bought the razor shave ready; I tried shaving with it but it wasn't sharp enough; the blade pulled and tugged. The razor easily shaved my arm hair but couldn't pass the Hanging Hair Test. After 40 laps on balsa crox, it passed the HHT test. I did 20 laps on 0.1 micron (balsa) and 80 laps on leather prior to shaving.

First Pass (WTG): The razor gave great audible feedback. I could feel the blade pull. No nicks.

Second Pass (WTG): I played it safe and did another WTG pass. No nicks.

Third Pass (XTG): The blade stopped dead in its tracks on the first stroke. I used more pressure resulting in razor burn and a few small nicks. Didn't reduce beard greatly.

At this point I switched to the Feather AC SS (ATG pass); it felt easy to shave with.

I will go back to the balsa and will also do more laps on leather. I don't think the razor is sharp enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom