What's new

Bloody Straights! A journal.

Just wanted to drop it and say that the two-pass was a success! Actually I felt like I just leveled-up! Almost no sting from the alum, and none from the aftershave, I was almost disappointed! :)

The biggest downside is that it goes faster to shave now... lol

Awesome! Thanks for letting me know. :001_smile

Chimensch's video is nice. i don't understand what you mean by "I don't know how he can shave with the opposite hand on the first pass." it's like an normal N-S pass but opposite hand with "reverse" grip. it's an interesting technique, but other than grip, it's a similar WTG-style pass. It's a "pull" stroke.

you'll get it down with some more practice...

edit--

BTW another good video is http://www.rasurpur.de/media/rasurpurvideosection/rasurpurshave/rasurpurshave.html

Bumped for one of the best shaving videos I have watched.

Yesterday's shave:
Razor: Ptre 13/16
Date Honed: May 2013 by me on vintage coti, finished on La Veinette
Hanging Hair Test: HHT4++
Edge Magnified:N/A
Kanayama Linen/Suede/Leather Strop: 15/15/40

Closeness: 10 (BBS)
Comfort: 10

Lather: 10
Durability: N/A
Enjoyment: 10
Time: N/A
Pre: Washed face with shaving soap, applied glycerin.
Brush: Ever Ready TGNFF
SS/SC: Speick shave stick
AS: Thayers Witch Hazel (Unscented/Alcohol Free)/Nivea creme

First pass: North to South. Three day whiskers were shaved in easy strokes.
Second pass: South to North mostly. Had a DFS.
Third pass: touch up.

I had this razor for over a year and couldn't get an edge on it because it was slightly warped. I tried honing it many times. After I honed it on a narrow stone, it took one of the best edges ever.

I recommend French or Torrey (American) razors to anyone with a tough beard (Greeks, Italians...you know who you are :)

When I began honing on coticules I set an ambitious goal, to hone edges that are very keen (HHT4 plus) yet so forgiving and skin friendly that a person with limited experience (less than a month) can get a comfortable, close shave. Recent feedback from guys that have shaved with my edges tells me that I've succeeded. There is always room to improve, for example longer lasting BBS shaves, HHT5...etc. The journey and the fun continues.

Thanks for bringing up that video link. I was trying to find it recently and not having much success. I find it interesting that he is using such a very light touch. Must be a very sharp blade!

Thanks for bringing up that video link. I was trying to find it recently and not having much success. I find it interesting that he is using such a very light touch. Must be a very sharp blade!

That is the first thing I also noticed. His form is impeccable.

Top Bottom