What's new

Balsa strop with Chrome oxide

Hi,
I new to honing in general on straights. I was wandering if i set the bevel at 1k and progress 4k/8k and then 12k. If i want a micro bevel can i apply one layer of tape and strop on balsa with chrome oxide to create a micro bevel? Or is the chrome oxide on balsa not a efficient enough to create a micro bevel with tape?

Legion

Staff member
Why bother with tape? The CrOx will usually tale the edge off a 12k up one step, if what you are looking for is increased sharpness.

Why bother with tape? The CrOx will usually tale the edge off a 12k up one step, if what you are looking for is increased sharpness.

Can a many to to many laps on balsa with chrome oxide? I dont know if this is true but i read some were that all a person needs is about 10-15 laps on balsa. After that you can dull the edge. How can a man dull his edge by doing 25-30 laps?

I believe stropping on balsa with crox creates a micro bevel without tape. I don't think you will dull your edge with more laps, they are simply not needed (coming straight from the hone). Subsequent stropping on balsa may require more laps however, because the first stropping has convexed your edge slightly.

I played around with micro bevels for a short period and in my limited testing and by no means formal I found that the bevel actually did not seem to hold up as well as a regular bevel eiterh set completely with or without tape.

Top Bottom