What's new

Valentini Garage Works Razor review

This review is in reference to a post from 2022 raising questions about the razor without a review at hand. Hope this review can add to the discussion.

Disclaimer:
Razor is out-of -pocket fully paid for and review is honest and without ties to Rob Valentini.
Shaving comparison to my Filarmónica Especial 14, first edition with same honing process.
Review is based on personal experiences and is not a precise study ny any means.

IMG_1898.jpeg
Razor is a piece of art, fabricated to perfection.
Blade is a quarter hollow grind, 11/8 at the heal, 10+/8 at the middle of the curve and 11/8 at the toe. The blade has been etched to reveal the layered pattern of 1095 over 15N20 Base. The scales are made from stabilized and dyed Mango Wood and are backed up with Lime Green G10 liners and carbon fiber. The wedge is made from Maple. The handles are pinned with Brass pinning rod, and brass washers.
It is fineshed to mirror polish and is a delight, eye-candy, heavy beast. Razor comes with an appropriate leather case (good call from Rob, no after market case or sleeve would fit).
Razor arrived well packed and included a buffing cloth and some wonderful stickers of Garag Works logo

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Honing:
According to Rob, he sends his razors shave-ready, but it arrived with a straight edge that was unfit. Bevel was a very small triangular, microscope showed a very gigged edge and deep scratches on bevel surface, atthempst to hone as is created an initial smile and I had to take off the tape and create a correct bevel through spine honing.
It took a full progression on synthetic stones; 1K, 4K, 8k and Naniwa 12K and then a full progression on JNAT Nakayama Sho-Honyama Asagi (1970 Kyoto Japan) with Tenjyou, Mejiro, and Koma slurries.

Stropping on Linen and leather with finish on Shell Cordovan Italian Leather.
I is my first time with this metal and I found it a bit harder than normal, somewhat like honing Stainless steel.
After the honing process, edge looked nice and met my humble standard.

Shaving and comparison to Filarmonica:
The Shave is smooth and nice, with grain, across and against with a 4th cleanup. BBS is achieved, no cuts or nicks and no irritation, very smooth. It takes a few seconds to get used to the size and weight, this is a big tool. Weight helps glide on skin and it is a rewarding feeling to use a big blade like this.

IMG_2218.jpeg

In comparison to the Filarmónica - End result is similar, both provide a BBS.
The filarmónica BBS shave follows me up to evening hours as I start feeling the appearance of new whisker. Valentini shave lasts a lesser time, during mid day I could feel the change, my take is that Filarmónica goes deeper.

With the Filarmónica the shave is effortless and almost automatic, Valentini commands more concentration and precision.
As for shaving, overall Filarmónica stays unbeatable, on a scale from 1-10, Filarmónica being 10, Valentini gets a nice 9.

Value for Money:
This baby sets you back 350USD or so. With this sum one can get a good Filarmónica as well. It is a very good shaver and an amazing usable piece of art. Given the work and talent invested by Rob, I personally think the price is fair and acceptable.
I am not a collector, with Valentini razor I have a total of 4 straight razors and 2 Wolfman double edge razors, I use all in a rotation.

Hope this review is of some value, happy to receive comments.
Jackie

So nice to see this here. I've always been interested in Rob's work as he's local to me. The overall size and weight has been a barrier, but I do plan on eventually getting one. You can watch him make these on his youtube channel. Thanks for the review!!!
Size and weight are visually scary but once you start shaving it becomes natural and easy.
Thanks for the YouTube tip, nice videos of fabrication process.

This one came across my bench several months ago. The steel was temperamental, felt like 01 and was uncooperative at 1K so I set the bevel with a 600 Chosera and took it from there. She ended up with a nice edge but as far as longevity have no idea.
This one came across my bench several months ago. The steel was temperamental, felt like 01 and was uncooperative at 1K so I set the bevel with a 600 Chosera and took it from there. She ended up with a nice edge but as far as longevity have no idea.

Will report how long the edge has lasted, so far (10 days) edge is ship-shape

Top Bottom