What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Thanks Nick; I still get a VigLink general page using Vicki's link. I did see that when the auction was live, and was certainly impressed on its condition, but I remain just a humble Super Speed Man who is knows admittedly little about these sets. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I get the same Link as you, Tony.

I think you have a 1919 Pocket Edition with a non-original ABC handle that has been added by someone. The serial number and the Gillette diamond on the baseplate are incorrect for an ABC.

Thanks Toby! No dice either, but you would think my gee-haunch in' Dell XPS would reel it in but not tonight I am afraid- the Fat Boy is gently calling for my pre-bed shaving ritual... It is Fat Boy Friday you know! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

I think you have a 1919 Pocket Edition with a non-original ABC handle that has been added by someone. The serial number and the Gillette diamond on the baseplate are incorrect for an ABC.

Thanks TobyC!

Now let me see if I understand you correctly since I am new to razors: You think that it is a 1919 GILLETTE Pocket Edition case that someone put an ABC Handle in ... BUT ... the BASEPLATE is NOT the original baseplate for the ABC handle, but could have been for the 1919 GILLETTE?

If that is what you are saying: Were the NEWER screw on baseplates AFTER the ABC handles interchangeable then? It sure does seem to fit perfectly and match as far as the gold plating and aged patina of the set.

I still LOVE this set, as it is a piece of art ... and a snapshot of history of a bygone era.

One last question TobyC: Do you know how long the GILLETTE POCKET EDITIONS were actually made?

Blessings,

Vicki

After taking over the Pocket Edition production from the American Button Company, Gillette had a long transition period. The Gillette Made Pocket Edition Sets first began production during the transitional years of 1916, 1917, and 1918, even possibly as early as 1915, when Gillette depleted what remained of the A.B.C. inventories, and mixed it with newer Gillette production, most notably, the Ball End Razor, which was introduced in its wartime sets. Gillette and ABC both appear to have manufactured their razor components for inventory, rather than for immediate use in production. As a result, it was not uncommon for large amounts of older parts to be consumed in newer model sets for long periods of time before the “proper” sets appeared, rather than hybrids. Or, as in this case, proper ABC sets made by Gillette from leftover parts.

Thanks TobyC!

Now let me see if I understand you correctly since I am new to razors: You think that it is a 1919 GILLETTE Pocket Edition case that someone put an ABC Handle in ... BUT ... the BASEPLATE is NOT the original baseplate for the ABC handle, but could have been for the 1919 GILLETTE?

If that is what you are saying: Were the NEWER screw on baseplates AFTER the ABC handles interchangeable then? It sure does seem to fit perfectly and match as far as the gold plating and aged patina of the set.

I still LOVE this set, as it is a piece of art ... and a snapshot of history of a bygone era.

One last question TobyC: Do you know how long the GILLETTE POCKET EDITIONS were actually made?

Blessings,

Vicki

I think the whole set is correct original except for the handle which is interchangeable with the ball-end handle.

The American Button Company factory burned in 1917, and was never rebuilt, but already manufactured handles would have been used until they were gone. I have no idea when the last one may have been assembled.

How do you guys know this stuff!? That's impressive!

Amen!! I also am very impressed with the amount of history and fine details available in this forum.
By taking the taking the time to share it with others, many are learning, too.

Thanks so much TobyC and Buick 48 for being so generous with your time and knowledge.
I feel like I now understand my new first razor purchase!
I have a real appreciation and plan to display as well as enjoy it for many, many years to come!

Blessings,

Vicki

Amen!! I also am very impressed with the amount of history and fine details available in this forum.
By taking the taking the time to share it with others, many are learning, too.

Thanks so much TobyC and Buick 48 for being so generous with your time and knowledge.
I feel like I now understand my new first razor purchase!
I have a real appreciation and plan to display as well as enjoy it for many, many years to come!

Blessings,

Vicki

You are very welcome, don't be a stranger, we enjoy this stuff! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom