What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Severe case of RAD again - need help identifying this beauty. Super Speed or Aristocrat Jr.?

Before:

proxy.php

After cleaning up:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
Very nice! I believe it a superspeed. The crat Jr's on Achims sire have a different blade bed. What does the t bar look like inside the doors? Notch or no?

Kindly,
Adam

How did you get the gunk out of the knurling? Looks nice!

I drowned it in in a mix of 1:3 vinegar:water, a gulp of mild dish detergent and let it rest over the night. Scrubbed the razor with a brass brush and dropped it back into the vinegar mix for another 24h and repeated the procedure.

Very nice! I believe it a superspeed. The crat Jr's on Achims sire have a different blade bed. What does the t bar look like inside the doors? Notch or no?

Kindly,
Adam

Not sure which one it is... See attached photo of the blade bed:

proxy.php

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I drowned it in in a mix of 1:3 vinegar:water, a gulp of mild dish detergent and let it rest over the night. Scrubbed the razor with a brass brush and dropped it back into the vinegar mix for another 24h and repeated the procedure.

Not sure which one it is... See attached photo of the blade bed:

proxy.php
No notched, no date code superspeed! Nice one. 47-49', I believe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It is a 1947 Super Speed! The ferrule appears to be a bit later for that year (it is not stepped, which was also on the Ranger Tech)- I am thinking the early second quarter and the die stampings appear to be a large strike die before the die markings became more standardized. It appears to be in great shape! This is a very interesting razor! These are the more aggressive razors of the early 1940's style, say, than a 1948-1949. Rabidus may chime in, as these are to him the best Super Speed years. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Well, this has prompted me to shave earlier than intended with my 1947 Super Speed, as our paralyzed Lab Hannah did not do
Gillette Early 1947 Super Speed with Ranger Tech Ferule, Large Strike Hallmarks.JPG
so well outdoors when I got home... Smooth as silk with absolutely no irritation. Just as my father would have done- Wilkinson Solingen blade purchased at my local drug store. I used Neutrogena shave cream for sensitive skin tonight and it is also a good choice. It produces the most auditable cutting noise of any razor I own. Congratulations Historical 2! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Awesome find on the Slim! They're hard to beat. The Fatboys are sometimes hard to come by and much sought after, but I feel like the Slims don't quite get all the credit they deserve. Enjoy your new Slim!
pp

Thanks, tipster_621. I was lucky on this one. The Slim really is in very good condition.

Well, this has prompted me to shave earlier than intended with my 1947 Super Speed, as our paralyzed Lab Hannah did not doView attachment 778978 so well outdoors when I got home... Smooth as silk with absolutely no irritation. Just as my father would have done- Wilkinson Solingen blade purchased at my local drug store. I used Neutrogena shave cream for sensitive skin tonight and it is also a good choice. It produces the most auditable cutting noise of any razor I own. Congratulations Historical 2! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Thanks for the points! Honored to hear our chat motivated you a little. Could it be that yours is the Aristocrat Jr.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are photos of a Gillette Slim Adjustable razor acquired at the end of last week (for $32). Aside from two slight and barely visible scratches on one of the doors, it appears in excellent condition, including the paint on the setting numbers and dots. I used the razor at the 5 setting, and the result was very good. I'd been looking for a good slim at a reasonable price for some time and am quite happy with the purchase. The finish and smooth operation are every bit as good as the seller described.

View attachment 778867 GView attachment 778866
I love the Slims, congrats and enjoy the great shaves.

No; Mine is but a humble US market Super Speed made in Boston, but I am glad of it Historical 2! It is one fine razor that you will indeed enjoy! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Gillette 1947 Super Speed Razor Box Contents Complete.JPG

This knock-out arrived today. It was offered on Ebay as a '1955 A2 Aristocrat'(!), but given the all-knurling on the handle and the date code I do believe it must be a Diplomat? - Also supporting this I think is the very deep gold plating which could match 24 carats as on the Diplomat. So I really hope you guys agree :001_07:

The Ebay posting contained overexposed/bright pictures, but the seller in the description specifically indicated that the gold plating was in excellent condition. So I chose to be trustful. And as you can see the condition is indeed absolutely amazing, only very few miniscule scratches when you come in really really close, handle is 100% pristine, not a single nick or scrape or anything anywhere on this razor. Don't think this baby has ever been used more than a few times!!

My only problem when taking photos was finding an angle where the gold shine didn't blow the camera settings out of whack - WOW!

This is my first gold plated razor as I normally like nickel/rhodium better. But this I have to say is awesome. If I look that good at 62, I'll be rockin' :a14:

Happy days!

diplomat_2.jpg
diplomat_3.jpg
diplomat_4.jpg

Last edited:
This knock-out arrived today. It was offered on Ebay as a '1955 A2 Aristocrat'(!), but given the all-knurling on the handle and the date code I do believe it must be a Diplomat? - Also supporting this I think is the very deep gold plating which could match 24 carats as on the Diplomat. So I really hope you guys agree :001_07:

The Ebay posting contained overexposed/bright pictures, but the seller in the description specifically indicated that the gold plating was in excellent condition. So I chose to be trustful. And as you can see the condition is indeed absolutely amazing, only very few miniscule scratches when you come in really really close, handle is 100% pristine, not a single nick or scrape or anything anywhere on this razor. Don't think this baby has ever been used more than a few times!!

My only problem when taking photos was finding an angle where the gold shine didn't blow the camera settings out of whack - WOW!

This is my first gold plated razor as I normally like nickel/rhodium better. But this I have to say is awesome. If I look that good at 62, I'll be rockin' :a14:

Happy days!

View attachment 779087 View attachment 779088 View attachment 779089

:001_tt1:

Excellent score!!!

Happy days!

Awesome, simply awesome! Congratulations on this score.

Just completed a trade for a razor I had never heard of until last night. Jurgen Hempel Jarwin Delux which is suppose to be a 1/1 replica of the original Darwin Deluxe. He made only ten and will continue to make the head assembly but no current plans for the handles. I am receiving 10/10.

sEgPuDp.jpg
Zxqk3EX.jpg

Happy days!

That is STUNNING! Congrats!

Top Bottom