What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
This knock-out arrived today. It was offered on Ebay as a '1955 A2 Aristocrat'(!), but given the all-knurling on the handle and the date code I do believe it must be a Diplomat? - Also supporting this I think is the very deep gold plating which could match 24 carats as on the Diplomat. So I really hope you guys agree :001_07:
The Ebay posting contained overexposed/bright pictures, but the seller in the description specifically indicated that the gold plating was in excellent condition. So I chose to be trustful. And as you can see the condition is indeed absolutely amazing, only very few miniscule scratches when you come in really really close, handle is 100% pristine, not a single nick or scrape or anything anywhere on this razor. Don't think this baby has ever been used more than a few times!!

My only problem when taking photos was finding an angle where the gold shine didn't blow the camera settings out of whack - WOW!

This is my first gold plated razor as I normally like nickel/rhodium better. But this I have to say is awesome. If I look that good at 62, I'll be rockin' :a14:

Happy days!

View attachment 779087 View attachment 779088 View attachment 779089
Wonderful!

Just completed a trade for a razor I had never heard of until last night. Jurgen Hempel Jarwin Delux which is suppose to be a 1/1 replica of the original Darwin Deluxe. He made only ten and will continue to make the head assembly but no current plans for the handles. I am receiving 10/10.

View attachment 779112 View attachment 779113

Beautiful!

Juan Manuel; I really grew to like the earliest Super Speed over all of the successive 1940's styles- in fact- I am seriously thinking about locating another to go with or replace one of my three razors in rotation- a Fat Handle Pre War Tech; a 1954 Z3 Flare Tip, and my E1 195 Adjustable. However, there just is no more room in the medicine cabinet. The Flare Tip could easily become a travel razor, so it would be tucked away in my vintage Dopp Kit...I am just a self- enabling rascal! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
Celluloid Wood Grain Razor Case with Gillette 1954 Flare Tip, for Travel.JPG
Gillette 1954 Super Speed Flare Tip in Kordite Soap Container  Travel Dopp Kit.jpg

This knock-out arrived today. It was offered on Ebay as a '1955 A2 Aristocrat'(!), but given the all-knurling on the handle and the date code I do believe it must be a Diplomat? - Also supporting this I think is the very deep gold plating which could match 24 carats as on the Diplomat. So I really hope you guys agree :001_07:

The Ebay posting contained overexposed/bright pictures, but the seller in the description specifically indicated that the gold plating was in excellent condition. So I chose to be trustful. And as you can see the condition is indeed absolutely amazing, only very few miniscule scratches when you come in really really close, handle is 100% pristine, not a single nick or scrape or anything anywhere on this razor. Don't think this baby has ever been used more than a few times!!

My only problem when taking photos was finding an angle where the gold shine didn't blow the camera settings out of whack - WOW!

This is my first gold plated razor as I normally like nickel/rhodium better. But this I have to say is awesome. If I look that good at 62, I'll be rockin' :a14:

Happy days!

View attachment 779087 View attachment 779088 View attachment 779089
Just stunning, you may have to wear shades while looking at it.

Thanks so much, all, for your kind words. I rarely get so lucky without overpaying but this one actually was fairly priced.

I did my first save with it just now, and it shaves great also. It actually felt somewhat milder than my Aristocrat, and the shaving angle didn't have to be so crazy as the Crat either. Aggressiveness I rate comparable to a '4' on my Adjustables.

Here's what I've been waiting for. It arrived today.
20170331_173751.jpg
20170331_173738.jpg
20170331_173934.jpg
20170331_174059.jpg
20170331_174109.jpg
20170331_174123.jpg
20170331_173751.jpg
20170331_173825.jpg
20170331_173839.jpg

It came (as you can see) In mint condition in the original box. I opened it because I intend to use it (often).

Mingshi 2000s - And very pleased with it !!
Also couldn't believe my eyes when the postman delivered it this morning - I only bought it on eBay on 24th
Just one week to arrive in Spain from China has got to be a new world record for any Chinese eBay seller !!
20170331_111759.jpg

20170331_105808-jpg.779307

View attachment 779295 View attachment 779294View attachment 779298 View attachment 779299 View attachment 779300 View attachment 779301 View attachment 779295 View attachment 779296 View attachment 779297

It came (as you can see) In mint condition in the original box. I opened it because I intend to use it (often).

WOW - truly amazing, it won't get any better than that. Congrats on that kingpin of finds :thumbup1:

As a noob, I'm currently in the RAD phase. This beauty arrived today. It is the Fatip Gold Closed Comb "Gentile" (Italian: Gentle) razor. I took it for a spin this morning, and it is a mild and very smooth razor. It was paired with a Gillette Silver Blue blade, which can be seen in the middle photo. There is an alignment issue with these razors, and I had to manually adjust the blade alignment as I tightened the head. It was well worth the trouble.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

View attachment 779295 View attachment 779294View attachment 779298 View attachment 779299 View attachment 779300 View attachment 779301 View attachment 779295 View attachment 779296 View attachment 779297

I think that is awesome, that you opened it and are going to use it! Very nice! They're nice to look at, but if it's never opened, it's pretty much useless.
I can see leaving it unopened maybe, if you already had one you use, and wanted one to add to a static collection, or maybe even re-sell after the value goes up a bit, but now, you'll know first hand how previous millions felt when they brought home a brand new Gillette razor, opened it, and used it for the first time.

Last edited:
It's the end of the month and time to come clean, so to speak. I'm in the throes of acute RAD, and here is a photo of the rest of my March acquisitions. On the left is the Edwin Jagger Kelvin, with its knurled handle. The middle photo is the Merkur 34C. On the right is the Merkur 42C (1904). Having learned a few things on the forum, I'm thinking these may be the last of my purchases of razors with a Zamak head.

image.jpeg

Nice stuff up above!!

RAD hit me again and I got my second Gillette Tech. It looks pretty similar to my first aluminum handle piece but its handle is longer, the top cap a bit different and weighs more as well.

It's the one on the right which is darker also.

Weight: 33g vs 62g

Can anyone help me with the model/year?

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It certainly was! I, like several others before my post- applaud you for USING this wonderful tool! Gillette made millions of these so that millions could, just like you will do- experience the joys of shaving with their proven Slim Adjustable razor from new! Go back and immerse yourself in its history, perhaps watching that year's World Series! Do take care of it as any good steward would, knowing that you are also a part of history, but just a few years later! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Hello Forum Members!

This forum seems to be a VERY NICE GENTLEMANLY forum site. I have been reading threads and learning a lot for the last month. Well done guys! I am not sure if there are other LADIES out there ... but ... here goes?!

As a NEWBIE this week on these FORUMS, I thought I would share my first RAZOR PURCHASE link. I just received my first GILLETTE POCKET EDITION SET in the mail and it is SO NICE and I am so excited!

Vintage Gillette Pocket Edition Razor w/ Gold Plated American Button Co. Handle | eBay

My husband and I have collected ANTIQUES for almost 40 years ... since high school. I LOVE displaying "UNIQUE" ITEMS in my DIVERSIFIED ANTIQUE COLLECTION ... but this is my very first RAZOR purchase. I cannot believe how ORNATE and BEAUTIFUL it is! I personally like this GOLD FLORAL case and SCROLL RAZOR HANDLE the best of the POCKET EDITION designs, too! This fits PERFECTLY as my first GILLETTE piece of history for display with my ANTIQUE BOOK COLLECTIONS on my Victorian shelves. I did a lot of research first (via your GREAT THREADS!!) ... THANKS SO MUCH!!! I know I paid a lot in the eBay bid war, but it was worth it to me. The search is now over for a wonderful piece of OLD GILLETTE HISTORY. I bought it off an older Collector of 30 years and I was very happy with the condition as it is DISPLAY READY. I will admire it for many years to come. Unfortunately, it does not have the information on the bottom of the FLORAL case so it is NOT "ABC" case. On the other hand, it does appear to have a HEAVY "SOLID(?)" SCROLL HANDLE even though the serial number is K 347955. Does anyone have any possible explanations for this late of a SN?

As a NEW GILLETTE COLLECTOR, I would welcome both GOOD or BAD comments that anyone is willing to share. I would love to learn more about my very first purcahse. I believe that information from more experienced collectors is the best way to learn as a NEWBIE ...

I am not sure what is PROPER, but besides the NEWBIE THREAD, I thought that I should also post this in the Double edge NEW ACQUISITIONS and maybe the POCKET EDITION RAZOR thread for more specific advice? All of the threads are still a little confusing for me to navigate ...

Spring Blessings To All,

Vicki

Vicki; Congratulations! We have a number of Pocket Edition collectors who, if I can volunteer for them, would be more than willing to help you. The link that you have provided does not go to your auction win, so perhaps you can redirect us using a completed auctions category perhaps, or photograph your set for us to see. Please do include some of your diversified antiques in your pictures, as I for one, was an antique lover from birth... well I've been told that... Welcome aboard! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Vicki; Congratulations! We have a number of Pocket Edition collectors who, if I can volunteer for them, would be more than willing to help you. The link that you have provided does not go to your auction win, so perhaps you can redirect us using a completed auctions category perhaps, or photograph your set for us to see. Please do include some of your diversified antiques in your pictures, as I for one, was an antique lover from birth... well I've been told that... Welcome aboard! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown
I think that you should hit that link again. As it took me right to it. Very nice buy @BookLover unfortunately I don't have the information that you seek, but I'm sure one that does will chime in soon.
Enjoy it.

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks Nick; I still get a VigLink general page using Vicki's link. I did see that when the auction was live, and was certainly impressed on its condition, but I remain just a humble Super Speed Man who is knows admittedly little about these sets. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Top Bottom