What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

RAD shame or Glory? 3 week newbie confession for March...
IMG_1337.JPG

IMG_1338.JPG
It arrived yesterday. Got it cheap off the bay because a fin was bent. That took about eight seconds to resolve. Couple of short, tiny, hardly noticeable stress cracks (top and bottom of handle). Now I'm trying to decide whether to leave it untouched, give it a dawn soak and toothbrush cleaning, or make it nice and shiny again. Opinions welcomed...

Last edited:
View attachment 779495 It arrived yesterday. Got it cheap off the bay because a fin was bent. That took about eight seconds to resolve. Couple of short, tiny, hardly noticeable stress cracks (top and bottom of handle). Now I'm trying to decide whether to leave it untouched, give it a dawn soak and toothbrush cleaning, or make it nice and shiny again. Opinions welcomed...

I say shine it like crazy. If it was a full black patina, like the one that develops on silver then I would consider leaving it.

Thanks Nick; I still get a VigLink general page using Vicki's link. I did see that when the auction was live, and was certainly impressed on its condition, but I remain just a humble Super Speed Man who is knows admittedly little about these sets. God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Tony,

Last week, I was also getting that VIGLINK when trying to see other eBay links on this forum and it was VERY FRUSTRATING! :confused2 If you read that VIGLINK page, (I cannot remember exactly how I did it), but maybe at the bottom(?), there was an OPT OUT choice. It is actually REDIRECTING you to that link anytime you look at "OTHER" auction site links. Once I OPTED OUT, I was able to view the eBay links with no problem and have not had a problem since.

Please let me know if that works for you.

For some reason, it is like SPAM hijacking your link, but at least I was able to OPT OUT of it on that page somewhere. Hopefully you will be able to, as well. Now all links work fine for me.

Spring Blessings,

Vicki

Last edited:
I get the same Link as you, Tony.

Last week, I was also getting that VIGLINK when trying to see other eBay links on this forum and it was VERY FRUSTRATING! :confused2 If you read that VIGLINK page, (I cannot remember exactly how I did it), but maybe at the bottom(?), there was an OPT OUT choice. It is actually REDIRECTING you to that link anytime you look at "OTHER" auction site links. Once I OPTED OUT, I was able to view the eBay links with no problem and have not had a problem since.

Please let me know if that works for you.

For some reason, it is like SPAM hijacking your links, but at least I was able to OPT OUT of it on that page somewhere. Hopefully you will be able to, as well. Now all links work fine for me.

Spring Blessings,

Vicki

Ordered and paid for...Now the wait! Delta Echo "Cubano" Aristocrat...View attachment 779519
I can think of nothing cooler than a vintage razor reworked with gun metal coatings by a true artist. Maybe a vintage razor reworked with gunmetal coatings by a true artist that doubles as some sort of secret agent handgun? Wait, I'll bet one of you guys already has one of those!

Vicki; Thank you so much! I was able to follow the page to the OPT OUT link and I am now in business. That is one beautiful set Ma'am! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Vicki; Thank you so much! I was able to follow the page to the OPT OUT link and I am now in business. That is one beautiful set Ma'am! God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Thanks for letting me know it worked.
Glad I could help. :001_smile

It seems a new method of SPAM is out there for LINKS ... but at least we could OPT OUT?!

Thanks for the compliments.
I must admit that after only my first purchase, I think I am hooked and may be joining the exclusive RAD club! :blush:

Spring Blessings,

Vicki

Viki; It has taken much discipline to reduce my Super Speed RAD to nothing but a smolder... With that said, may I suggest tipping your acquisition scales towards a 1949 Super Speed, as they are excellent cased examples available and they will not break the bank. Most importantly- it is a razor your husband might like to use and the disease may spread to him as well.
Gillette 1949 Super Speed Razor with Styrene Case and Ten Blade Speed Pak Dispenser Open View.JPG
God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbrown

Thanks for letting me know it worked.
Glad I could help. :001_smile

It seems a new method of SPAM is out there for LINKS ... but at least we could OPT OUT?!

As I don't see the issue, it has to be one of the various advertising companies that B&B is linked to. I have scripts locked down on my laptop because B&B (with trust) takes up to 30 seconds for each page to load enough to look at it. By distrusting the site and scripts, I don't see the sliding header, and pages take less than 4 seconds to load, unless there are a lot pictures.

I'll have to go through the various sites to try to narrow it down, if anyone cares.

Well I did it again. Bought another razor on the bay. I found a BIN for a single ring and made him an offer below what he was asking which was accepted. I have a ball end but didn't have a single ring. No cracks. Thin cap. It was covered in black patina. It arrived today, immediately put it in a bath of Dawn detergent and almost boiling water. Then scrubbed it with a toothbrush and then polished it up with Blue Magic polish. Came out nice. I can't wait to use it.

IMG_0254.JPG
IMG_0255.JPG
IMG_0257.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Well I did it again. Bought another razor on the bay. I found a BIN for a single ring and made him an offer below what he was asking which was accepted. I have a ball end but didn't have a single ring. No cracks. Thin cap. It was covered in black patina. It arrived today, immediately put it in a bath of Dawn detergent and almost boiling water. Then scrubbed it with a toothbrush and then polished it up with Blue Magic polish. Came out nice. I can't wait to use it.

View attachment 779563 View attachment 779564 View attachment 779565 View attachment 779566 View attachment 779567
Very Nice !

Top Bottom