What's new

macdad's Shave Journal

Great shave Fred. Good luck at work!

Thanks Eric! Work is still quite busy, but the days go by quickly. I have a trial run today, but it should go just fine.

Today's shave:

Razor: ATT M1 DE
Soap: BW Davy Jones
Brush: WW Burnt Oak Whiskey
DE Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (4 full and 0 Partial)
Aftershave: Thayers unscented WH

It was a nice 3 pass shave today. Smooth and efficient! I have a solid DFS shave. There may be a couple spots at the corner of my chin that are not quite DFS, but they are very small. I do have one bump on my neck. I think it is time for a fresh blade in the DE. With as much as I use a straight, my stash of DE blades will last forever even if I only get 4 shaves from a blade!

I have been thinking a little about modding a gold dollar razor. I don't know if I am going to do it or not, but it has been running through my mind lately. I think I just feel like grinding on something!

There will be minimal purchases for my shave hobby right now. I just put a big order in for a new rc heli. I am excited to get it here and start putting it together! I have a few more rc purchases to make before I start saving for a new straight. Thinking I will be ordering a new straight in a couple months.

Good read Fred. I purchased the whole line of ATT baseplates right before I started shaving with a straight razor. Great razors all, but I settled on the H2 plate as my den DE, and the S2 is my travel DE. I have only used 3 blades since coming back to the DE, and I love them all. The Astra SP, Feather and most recently Polsilver Super Iridium.

Good read Fred. I purchased the whole line of ATT baseplates right before I started shaving with a straight razor. Great razors all, but I settled on the H2 plate as my den DE, and the S2 is my travel DE. I have only used 3 blades since coming back to the DE, and I love them all. The Astra SP, Feather and most recently Polsilver Super Iridium.

Wow! You bought the whole line! I really like my M1. I have actually been eyeballing the S1 for something different. I have read that it is slightly more aggressive than the M1. As slow as my facial hair grows, I don't need anything too aggressive.

Wow! You bought the whole line! I really like my M1. I have actually been eyeballing the S1 for something different. I have read that it is slightly more aggressive than the M1. As slow as my facial hair grows, I don't need anything too aggressive.

When I got the ATT DE plates, I began with the R2. I had a significant number of shaves with this razor when they released the slant. I would categorize the S2 as being more mild than the R2. I also have read that it is right in between the M and R. When I say I got the whole line of plates Fred, I mean I got the whole line of open comb plates. Interestingly, I have never shaved with the M2 plate yet, so I cannot validate that the S3 plate is in between the R and the M. I can say it is milder than the R. I currently have the M2, S2, R2, and H2 plates for DE, and version 1 SE2 as well as version 2 SE2 for the AC type single edge.

An rc heli sounds cool.....and those ATT razors are very nice - I had an S2 that was great.

The heli thing is cool. Probably one of the most challenging things I have done in a while. Do really like the ATT razor as well. It is just a nice comfortable shave. After learning to shave with a straight, a DE shave is pretty relaxing :D

When I got the ATT DE plates, I began with the R2. I had a significant number of shaves with this razor when they released the slant. I would categorize the S2 as being more mild than the R2. I also have read that it is right in between the M and R. When I say I got the whole line of plates Fred, I mean I got the whole line of open comb plates. Interestingly, I have never shaved with the M2 plate yet, so I cannot validate that the S3 plate is in between the R and the M. I can say it is milder than the R. I currently have the M2, S2, R2, and H2 plates for DE, and version 1 SE2 as well as version 2 SE2 for the AC type single edge.

Thanks Walt. This gives me something to think about :) I am not interested in a SE at this point, but I may keep my eyes open for a slant setup.

Today's shave:

Razor: EA Berg
Soap: MLS Souq
Aftershave: Matching AS

It was an OK 3 pass shave today. I can't consider my chin or upper lip a DFS. I will definitely be taking this razor back to the stones. I think the bevel needs just a little more refinement.

Souq is a unique smell to me. Very strong fig smell with some spices in the background. My wife hates this one. I only use it when I am going to work. The drydown (SP?) of the aftershave is a nice cologne smell though. The fig smell burns off and leaves a nice musk smell to linger. It performs as well as other Mickey Lee soaps, fantastic IMHO!

I think I have a few soaps/AS that the SWMBO just doesn't like so I wear it when she won't be around. :)
We try!

Amy (SWMBO) is very sensitive to smell, and doesn't like anything. That is why I wear AS splash every day!:ciappa:
This is funny! My wife says she doesn't like it. I tell her, "Well, I think it smells good, and the smell is for me to enjoy!" Of course, this is as I am stepping out the door for work. That way, I can close the door before the flying stuff hits me!

Great stuff Fred, and good luck on the Berg!
Thanks Eric. I think there is something off with it. I don't know why, but I ended up with quite a bit of irritation from the shave. I think some of it is the point, so I need to mute it a bit. It is just really harsh and not quite sharp enough. I will see where I get with another round no the stones.

Today's shave:

Razor: EA Berg
Soap: Stirling Mountain Man

It was a nice 3 pass shave this morning. After the irritation on from the previous shave and lack of closeness, I took it back to the DMT 1200 to improve the bevel. I probably spent another 1.5 hours on it... After going through all the stones, I stropped it in preparation for this morning's shave.

My chin and neck are much closer. I had one little nick on my chin and opened up the razor bump on my neck. My upper lip could be better, but that is most likely user error on my part. I will rate this shave a DFS.

Good shaves and read!
I almost got into the RC heli's. I have a Ares MD550D CX100 and I also purchased the Phoenix Flight Simulation Software with the Spectrum DX5e transmitter. I have a friend who has over 30 RC heli's. He was enabling me. I just didn't have the time to practice. I need to get the Simulator back out and practice up.

Thanks Craig. RC helis is a lot of fun, but it is quite time consuming! It can also get very expensive quickly! I just crashed one yesterday. Fortunately, it was a cheap crash. Shouldn't cost more than about $30 to get it back in the air.

Yes my friend has had quite a few $$$ crashes. It's not a question of if you are going to wreck or crash and RC, be it plane, helicopter, or car, but when and how much damage is going to be done.

Good job on the honing! Swedes can be a pain to hone, but get it dialed in and you're rewarded with an amazing and long lasting edge.

Yes my friend has had quite a few $$$ crashes. It's not a question of if you are going to wreck or crash and RC, be it plane, helicopter, or car, but when and how much damage is going to be done.
This is very true. I just use the sim to keep the crashes at a minimum.

Good job on the honing! Swedes can be a pain to hone, but get it dialed in and you're rewarded with an amazing and long lasting edge.
Thanks Eric. I think it could still be better, but I did get quite a close shave with this edge. I could barely feel the stubble near the end of the day. We will see how it is after a couple more shaves.

Nice job with the honing. It can sure be frustrating sometimes.
Thank you Chris.

2/14 Shave:

Razor: GD #2
Soap: Maggard's London Barbershop

After a nice 3 pass shave, I was sitting with a DFS+ shave. It was close and comfortable. I have to be honest, this is still my favorite straight razor. It looks like crap, but it is very comfortable in my hand and shaves quite well. I am beginning to think that I need a razor that is at least 5/8 and has a little bit of mass to it. I believe some of my struggles with the EA Berg are due to the fact that it is so narrow. It is a challenge to maintain the correct angle. I don't have that problem with the Gold Dollar.

Today's shave:

Razor: ATT M1 DE
Soap: BW Captain's Pipe
DE Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (1 full and 0 Partial)
Aftershave: Thayers WH Unscented

Fresh blade in the ATT M1 today. It was an uneventful 3 pass shave. No muss, no fuss. DFS and ready for Thursday.

I have been a bit busy lately. More hours at work, Valentine's Day, running around for the kids, etc. On top of all that, I have been working on my new heli :D Trying to sneak a few minutes in whenever I can. Have a great day, everyone!

Top Bottom