What's new

macdad's Shave Journal

And they will have kids of their own...

FWIW, I love Mountain Man soap. "Some folks say he lives there still."
I am sure they will have kids of their own, but there is no rush for that :D

I really like Mountain Man. I wish the scent was just a bit stronger on the soap and aftershave though.

"Jeremiah Johnson"!
You guys lost me on that reference :) I am thinking it is before my time!

For a Mud Hens game?
A little early for the Hens, but we do like to catch at least one game a year. It is a nice ballpark, and my wife actually enjoys watching the game! I wouldn't mind going to a Walleye game, too.

Good stuff Fred! Busy family week, but those are always great!
I've never made it through the whole movie, but my wife's whole family can quote the entire thing...
It is definitely great to be busy and be able to do all the things for my kids that we can do. We have been blessed for sure.

The busy day and first day of track was too much for my youngest though. She needed help with math, so we sat on the couch and I started looking at the problem. Next thing I know, she is crying. I held her for a moment and let her cry it out, helped her settle down, then we finished math. She was just sore, tired and overwhelmed.

I hate to see my kids struggle, but it is nice to know that they can still be comforted by a good hug and a talk from their old man! My girls are precious to me. I would hate to think of what life would be like without them. Sorry, I get a little sentimental sometimes. Have a great night, guys!

We all have our preferences with regards to razor size and shape. It's kind of a bummer having a razor that you're not so crazy about, but your tastes may change someday as well. Nothing wrong with getting sentimental, and it's great that your daughters can turn to you when they're feeling fragile. :thumbup:

We all have our preferences with regards to razor size and shape. It's kind of a bummer having a razor that you're not so crazy about, but your tastes may change someday as well. Nothing wrong with getting sentimental, and it's great that your daughters can turn to you when they're feeling fragile. :thumbup:
I won't be getting rid of the razor, but it will not get as much love as my others. Like you said, tastes change. I expect that my skills will still improve. That may make a difference as well.

Today's shave:

Razor: ATT M1 DE
Soap: Mama Bear Drakkar
Brush: WW Burnt Oak Whiskey
DE Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (4 full and 0 Partial)
Aftershave: Thayer's Unscented WH and Stirling Noir

It was a great 3 pass shave today. The soap smelled fantastic and was very slick. I had no problem whipping up a nice lather!

I put the Noir on just before leaving for work. When I gave my wife a kiss goodbye, she was like, "Ooohh, I could just stand here and smell you for a while!" I'll take it!

She is a keeper Fred. This morning SWMBO walked into the family room with her coffee and asked me to move to the other couch because it smelled, and she wanted to sit on the couch I was on to set her coffee on the end table.:lol: True story!

Very nice compliment from the SWMBO! Even with all my various scents, I rarely get that comment. I do get the "What the hell are you wearing?" from time to time. LOL

Always nice when the SWMBO likes the AS!
Yes it is!
Great stuff Fred!
Thanks Eric!
She is a keeper Fred. This morning SWMBO walked into the family room with her coffee and asked me to move to the other couch because it smelled, and she wanted to sit on the couch I was on to set her coffee on the end table.:lol: True story!
That is a funny story, Walt! Trust me, I have a few scents that I only use during the week. When I use Souq, she barely even gives me a hug! She doesn't want the smell on her. :D
Very nice compliment from the SWMBO! Even with all my various scents, I rarely get that comment. I do get the "What the hell are you wearing?" from time to time. LOL
I do get that from time to time :)
Sounds like it's time to 3017 that Mama Bear Drakkar!
I think you are on to something here! If only we had a date night coming up... ;)
nice shave Fred
Thank you Dave!

Today's shave:

Razor: GD#2 Straight Razor
Soap: Chiseled Face Sherlock
Aftershave: Thayer's Unscented WH

I had to work for a DFS today. There are a couple areas that I struggled with, but I think it was a lack of focus on my part. I just couldn't get a couple spots on my chin. I almost busted out the DE, but I persisted with the straight. If I have similar struggles next time, I will take it back to the pasted balsa.

Total of 3 passes and a little bit of cleanup.

Happy Friday!

From Drakkar to Sherlock - Fred must need some space! Good stuff!
Hahaha! That's funny Brent! After my day at work on Wednesday, I definitely needed some space!

Sorry to hear about the struggle Fred, but tomorrow will be better. Love Sherlock!
Thanks for the encouragement, Eric. I do enjoy the challenge. I am still working on my technique. Yesterday, I was trying an even lighter touch. It worked well on my cheeks. It is just a bit tougher on the chin. As I think back on it, I think that was part of my challenge.
Tough luck with the shave. The Sherlock scent sound interesting. Another soap to put on the ever growing list.
It is an interesting smell, Craig. I am not good at describing scents, otherwise I would take a crack at it. It is one of those scents that I like, but I am not sure I like it enough for a full container. Fortunately, Maggards sells samples!

Sorry to hear about the rough shave. It happens but at least you still have the head attached to the neck, so it was a good day

Sorry to hear about the rough shave. It happens but at least you still have the head attached to the neck, so it was a good day
Haha! There is that for the bright side! :D It was indeed a good day!

Today's shave:

Razor: GD#2 Straight Razor
Soap: Fine Lavender
Aftershave: Matching AS

I had to use the razor again to see if it needed touch-up or if the problems on the last shave was just me. The shave today was a bit better, so I know if was just me. It was a 3 pass shave, but I think I should have stopped at 2. On the third pass, I nicked myself under my nose and my chin. Both very minor. I am going to blame it on the lack of sleep (time change last night ;) )

Yesterday was my wife's birthday. She decided that she wanted to go to a shopping center in Auburn Hills on a whim. So, off we went. It was a little over 2 hours to get there. It was a nice mall, but not worth the drive. I think my wife enjoyed it, so that is all that matters. In the future, I would rather go down to Columbus. It is a little easier to get to, and the traffic is not as bad. Detroit is ridiculous!

We had a good time though. On the way back, we stopped at the Olive Garden for her birthday dinner! A very full day!

A very full day yesterday! If you went to Great Lakes Crossing then you weren't too far from me, and that is a heck of a drive for a shopping trip lol. Great shave, despite the nick, and it's always good to narrow things down to user error. :lol:

Took me awhile to get caught up again but it looks like you've been busy at the ranch. Yesterday was my oldest girls birthday, she shares that in common with your wife. No shopping here, that was supposed to happen today but mom has been down with the flu ...and I am NOT shopping with her alone (in fact, if moms feeling better then I may just be coming down with the flu).

Don't underestimate the ability of the GD to hold an edge and respond well to balsa stropping. The steel seems to be pretty good and the bevel angle is large enough it doesn't break down too fast. I learned using a modified GD and it held for well over a month of daily shaves. I followed slash McCoy's method of balsa strop maintenance and was served very well by it.

Regarding the chiseled face soaps, they were an early favorite of mine. I love GTB, he's done a couple others that aren't in production anymore that I really like too. Compared to other soaps I think CFG might be better suited for DE than straight BUT when you get the right consistency it does well with the straight too. Yesterday's subpar shave may have a connection to the CFG. ...but the gtb is a winner for sure.

Top Bottom