What's new

macdad's Shave Journal

Catching up.

The scales look good. I've had a couple of reminders with the DE not to get too comfortable and take the razor for granted. Lesson's learned. I'm sure straight require even more confrontation.

Thanks! I have had a couple reminders with DE's as well. Both can do some damage if you are not paying attention!

Great shave Fred. :thumbup:

Thanks Eric!

Today's shave:

Razor: EA Berg Straight
Soap: Fine Italian Citrus
Brush: WW Burnt Oak Whiskey
DE Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (2 full and 0 Partial)
Aftershave: Thayer's Unscented WH

All in all, it was a good 3 pass shave. I would call it a DFS. There are a couple very small spots that are probably closer to SAS. Since my last shave with this razor was a little rough, I went a little easy and super cautious. I am happy with the results, though.

There doesn't feel like there is any irritation on my upper lip or chin are, the normal areas... I had one little nick on my chin and one in my left ear. Oops!

I think I need a mirror that I can get a little closer to my face for detail work, as well. I may start looking at options for that.

Happy Friday!

That Fine Italian Citrus is good juice! :thumbup:

It does smell pretty good! I was thinking, as I was lathering it, that my Drakkar may actually go well with it. I don't have the most refined sense of smell, though.

Today's shave:

Razor: GD #2
Soap: Stirling Mountain Main
Aftershave: Matching AS

It was a very nice 3 pass shave this morning! I felt like going back to the Gold Dollar for a shave, since I have been using the EA Berg for a while. It performed quite well! It is interesting how the audio feedback is so different between the two razors.

Anyway, there was minimal burn when AS was applied. It feels like a pretty solid DFS. My upper lips near the corner of my mouth still tends to give me fits with a straight. They end up around an SAS level in those really small areas.

I was feeling like doing a little fiddling around with a razor today, so I took the Ohio Farmer razor out. I decided to polish it up. There were a few dark spots that I wanted to sand down. I ended up going down to 500 grit sandpaper and working my way back up to 1200. I then polished it with some of that Mother's polish. It is looking pretty shiny now. Not as good as some I have seen, but very nice for me.

In the process of scaling, sanding and polishing, I likely damaged the edge. I went to sharpen it with the DMT 1200. I spent some time on this stone. I think I spent too much time and probably wore the blade down a bit more than an experienced person would. I was having a difficult time setting the bevel. All I can figure is that the steel is not quite as hard as some of the other blades that I have sharpened, so I was using too much pressure. I finally got it to a point that I felt I could move on to the DMT 8k. After spending a little time on that, I progressed to the 12k and balsa strop.

I don't think it is quite as sharp as my Gold Dollar, but time will tell. I think I will test it out on my next shave and see.

Great shave Fred, and it sounds like you did a solid job on the Ohio Farmer. :thumbup:

I've probably taken decades of use off of so many razors that I've set the bevel on that it's sad lol.

Great shave Fred, and it sounds like you did a solid job on the Ohio Farmer. :thumbup:

I've probably taken decades of use off of so many razors that I've set the bevel on that it's sad lol.

Yeah, we will see how it performs. I have a feeling it will need a little more work yet. This one really gave me a challenge. I know that the GD tops hairs easier, but it could also be the angle of the bevel. The Ohio Farmer has quite a thin spine.

Sounds like a good shave.

Thanks Craig. I have used the GD enough to have my technique pretty dialed in on that razor. I am still enjoying a heavier razor too.

I have been looking at different brands for a new razor this year. I am thinking I will buy a nice razor in the 3rd or 4th quarter. I have been looking at Portland, Jerry Stark, Hart and one of the Through the Fire razors at Maggard's.

Jerry Stark would probably be the most expensive by quite a bit, but they look like exceptional razors. I am finding that I would rather have one or two really nice razors than a ton of razors. There is quite a bit of difference between all the different brands. I need to decide if I am going for form or function...

I will be thinking and saving for a while. In a month or so, I will be making some RC purchases. That is a hobby that takes priority on my spending right now :001_smile

Yeah, we will see how it performs. I have a feeling it will need a little more work yet. This one really gave me a challenge. I know that the GD tops hairs easier, but it could also be the angle of the bevel. The Ohio Farmer has quite a thin spine.

Thanks Craig. I have used the GD enough to have my technique pretty dialed in on that razor. I am still enjoying a heavier razor too.

I have been looking at different brands for a new razor this year. I am thinking I will buy a nice razor in the 3rd or 4th quarter. I have been looking at Portland, Jerry Stark, Hart and one of the Through the Fire razors at Maggard's.

Jerry Stark would probably be the most expensive by quite a bit, but they look like exceptional razors. I am finding that I would rather have one or two really nice razors than a ton of razors. There is quite a bit of difference between all the different brands. I need to decide if I am going for form or function...

I will be thinking and saving for a while. In a month or so, I will be making some RC purchases. That is a hobby that takes priority on my spending right now :001_smile

Just stalk the BST. Sometimes there are killer deals with folks downsizing their collections. Definitely seen Portland's, Jerry Stark's, and Hart's being sold at reasonable prices.

Ebay also isn't that bad if you can find a new production blade on it.

I've also been pimping Koraat Knives fairly strongly (without having even received my blade yet). They get extremely good feedback on various forums and the prices are very reasonable. [MENTION=109758]macdad[/MENTION], just another option for you to look at.

Just stalk the BST. Sometimes there are killer deals with folks downsizing their collections. Definitely seen Portland's, Jerry Stark's, and Hart's being sold at reasonable prices.

I will definitely keep my eyes peeled. If one shows up and the stars align, I may pounce!

Ebay also isn't that bad if you can find a new production blade on it.

I've also been pimping Koraat Knives fairly strongly (without having even received my blade yet). They get extremely good feedback on various forums and the prices are very reasonable. @macdad, just another option for you to look at.

Thanks for the suggestion, Derek! I have been to that site before. Nice looking razors! I will add them to my short list.

I also forgot one other that I have been looking at: Brian Brown. I think these look pretty nice too!

Today's shave:

Razor: Ohio Farmer
Soap: Ghost Town Barber

Wow, what a shave this morning! I was really nervous about this razor, since it took me so long to set the bevel. It probably took almost 2 hours in total to set the bevel and hone it. 3/4s of that time was in the bevel setting. I was really worried that it was not quite ready. I stropped it last night in preparation and decided to wave it over my leg hairs one more time. The hairs popped off like crazy, so that helped with my confidence.

I can say that this razor turned out quite sharp! It may be the best sharpening/honing I have done yet! It really did an excellent job shaving.

I have a very solid DFS+ after 3 passes. There are areas of my face that are actually smooth against the grain (BBS), but not enough to call it a BBS. My upper lip and neck could be closer (like normal). I have some minor irritation on the upper lip. I'm blaming this on a fresh hone and too much pressure.

Have a great day, guys!

Great job on the hones Fred! Sounds like you put a monster edge on the Ohio Farmer. The only thing better than a great shave is a great shave with a razor that you honed. :thumbup:

Well not being a SR shaver yet, to the non experienced that sounds like you did an excellent job on the Ohio Farmer.
Good Shave!

Great job on the hones Fred! Sounds like you put a monster edge on the Ohio Farmer. The only thing better than a great shave is a great shave with a razor that you honed. :thumbup:

Thanks Eric. I don't know about a monster edge, but it was a very comfortable shave.

Well not being a SR shaver yet, to the non experienced that sounds like you did an excellent job on the Ohio Farmer.
Good Shave!

Thanks Craig. I have tried a few other straights now. I feel that my edges are pretty close to theirs. I don't know if any of the pros on here would even shave with one of my razors, but they feel good to me. That is good enough!

Today's shave:

Razor: ATT M1 DE
Soap: Stirling British Leather
DE Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (3 full and 0 Partial)
Aftershave: Thayer's Unscented AS

I bought a sample of this on my last order from Stirling. It is a nice scent. It is a little strong smelling it straight off the puck, but it mellows out some when lathering. or Some of the other scents really bloom. Either way, it was a great smelling shave. My wife didn't gag over it, so I must not have smelled too bad.

Today's shave was a nice 3 pass shave with the DE. Non-eventful, zero irritation, no bumps or blood. Great shave! I only have one problem. This time of night after a straight shave, I can barely feel any stubble. After a DE shave, I basically have a 5 O'Clock shadow.

Work has been a little taxing as of late. I have had to bring the laptop home and work a few more hours. I sort of hit my limit tonight. I can't work anymore. The boss asked me to do something by Friday. I have about 10 hours in it. I think it will take another week full time, realistically. This is for my new role that I have yet to transition to, so I have to continue to work on the current. Very frustrating.

I will have to talk to him tomorrow and show my progress. I don't think there will be any issues. He knew how time consuming and tedious it was going to be. Time will tell.

I can't wait until I actually transition to the new role. Then, I can focus on the upcoming project.

Hopefully things at work will settle down soon.

Thanks Chris. It will be like this until mid-March at least. They have finally (after 6 months), chosen someone to backfill my position. This month will be the time the new guy gets to come in and learn, before I hand over the reins. There is a light at the end of the tunnel!

It is exciting though. I am able to get involved in the new job, and it is going to be quite a good project with plenty of challenges! I am really looking forward to working on it full time!

Today's shave:

Razor: EA Berg
Soap: Fine Lavender
Brush: Maggard's 22mm Synth

It was an OK 3 pass shave this morning. I am just barely a DFS. I feel that the Berg could stand to be a little bit sharper. I will give it a couple more shaves to make sure it isn't an issue on my side.

Still love the smell of this Fine. I also felt it would be good to fire up the old Maggard brush again.

Sitting here enjoying the Saturday morning coffee, reading the journals and watching Mash on tv. Doesn't get much better than that!

I'm glad work is progressing to the point that there is a challenging project in your sights Fred. Ultimately we go to work for a paycheck. But that is not where our job satisfaction comes from.

Perhaps the Berg requires a little refinement on the bevel.

Good to hear!.....MASH - excellent! LTC Blake or COL Potter?

The episodes on that morning were the ones with Col. Potter. I really liked his character better.

Very nice Fred. All of the Fine scents are great, and it's a lavender day for me as well. :thumbup:

The lavender is good stuff. Especially considering the reaction I get from my wife when I use it. She really likes the smell of it!

I loved M.A.S.H. Still occasionally watch the reruns. Glad to hear your job is improving.

Thanks Craig. I think it was mostly reruns when I was a kid as well. Although, it does appear to have been in production while I was a child.

I'm glad work is progressing to the point that there is a challenging project in your sights Fred. Ultimately we go to work for a paycheck. But that is not where our job satisfaction comes from.

Perhaps the Berg requires a little refinement on the bevel.

You are correct Walt. True satisfaction in the workplace, for me, is to have meaningful work to do. A challenge is good as well.

I think you are correct on the Berg as well. I am gonna give it one more shave and see how well it does, but I think it will be going back to refine the bevel a bit more.

Today's shave:

Razor: Ohio Farmer
Soap: The Kraken

It was a nice 3 pass shave to start out the week. Nice close shave and a solid DFS!

Getting ready to go to work now. Wednesday is likely to be a busy day. There is some opportunity for problems. Hoping that it all goes well. I need to lay some groundwork today and tomorrow before we get there.

Top Bottom