What's new

macdad's Shave Journal

Today, I am 4 shaves into this world of wet shaving with a DE razor. My first two shaves were with a Van Der Hagen razor from Walmart. I didn't care for how much slop was in the razor. I could move the blade a couple millimeters and felt the variation would hamper my progress. Took a drive up to Maggard's and bought the basic shave kit. I feel it is a good deal.

My last two shaves were with the new razor. The tolerances are much better, so I believe that variable is fairly well eliminated. Now, I have to work on my technique.

After my last 3 shaves, my chin has been a bit red. It doesn't burn or itch, but it is red. I am pretty certain I am struggling with blade angle and causing irritation. On my last shave, I feel like I am finally starting to get the feel of the razor on my face. The angle is starting to feel a bit more natural.

I am struggling with the bottom side of my jaw line, especially around my chin. Also still don't have the angle right on my neck and bottom chin in general. Practice makes perfect :D

For once in my life, I actually wished my facial hair grew faster! Pretty messed up, right? I only need to shave about every 2-3 days, especially with this close of a shave.

Looking at my shave from this morning... I missed a few spots. Well, not exactly missed, but didn't cut as close. I can see my trouble spots pretty clearly. It shows me where my technique needs to improve. What I shaved with this morning:

Razor: Maggard with V3 head
Soap: TOBS Mr. Taylor scent
Brush: Maggard 22mm synthetic
Blade: Astra

Scent on the soap was not bad. I can live with it for sure. My wife thinks it is nice, but it doesn't knock her socks off! It lathered real easy. My face doesn't seem overly dry.

Welcome to the obsession! I agree with you about the TOBS Mr. Taylor. It's my tried-and-true cream for now. I like it plenty, and it always lathers wonderfully. I have had jawline trouble a lot as well. I've found that WTG/XTG/ATG then XTG the other way on the jawline cleans it up really well (not a full 4th pass, just cleaning up in a different direction). Also, I only go WTG/XTG for my lip and chin, otherwise I too get some redness. Good call on changing hardware - shaving with bad equipment is no fun.

I have to be honest... I am really only doing a single pass right now. Today, I did a single pass. Then reapplied lather to a couple trouble areas for a second pass.

I think, once I get the angle down and faster, I will probably be happy with 2 passes. I don't need a BBS shave. I used to have stubble all the time, so a DFS shave is all I am really after (hopefully I am using the correct acronyms :) ).

This morning was actually pretty quick. I had it setup, lathered and shaved, and cleaned up in about 15 minutes. That was being pretty meticulous with the blade angle. I started to get a few for what the razor should feel like against my face. I think, in another couple weeks, I will be much more comfortable and efficient. Then, I will add another pass.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy taking the time to do this. I am not in a hurry to shave by any means. However, I don't have the desire to take 30-45 minutes. It is not in my nature. 15-20 minutes will likely be the longest I would ever want to take. Not to mention the fact that I live in a house with a single bathroom to share with my wife and 3 teenage daughters!

Last edited:
Very nice read. I will check in from time to time.

You are very lucky to live so close to Maggards.

I also do not chase the BBS. I always do two passes and sometimes the stars align and I get a bbs but usually it is DFS. When I first started it took me 30 minutes to shave. Now it takes about 10. You'll get the hang of it!

Keep posting!

That is very encouraging. I can handle a 10-15 minute shave, no problem. I have to admit... I probably spend several minutes inspecting and fiddling around right now. That is part of the process of learning. As I learn, all that inspection and studying will reduce over time. I plan on shaving tomorrow with another soap and sample. It will be Mickey Lee's Soap - Cape Verde. My wife likes the smell. I don't know if I do. Time will tell :)

Another shave this morning. I think this makes 5 total.

Soap: Mickey Lee Cape Verde
Blade: Astra (3rd shave on blade)

I had a little more difficult time lathering this soap. Mainly because it is a sample and a harder soap than the others I have used. I had to dig some out and press it into my palm. I had a little extra water in the brush and went to lathering. From there, it was no problem.

Total shave time, from setup to cleanup, was around 15 minutes. I actually did 2 full passes with some cleanup. To be honest, it is my most thorough shave yet. I did have a couple nicks. One on a small mole and one on my jawline. Old habits are really hard to break. I find myself pushing too hard for a pass with the razor, then remembering it is not a cartridge. The other struggle is remembering to put some lather on before touching up a mall area.

Overall, I think it went well. I may have had too much pressure on my upper lip and chin. That area seems to be pretty sensitive. Time will tell if it is irritated, but doesn't feel too bad. I have a couple trouble areas that I have a difficult time getting: right under the nose, jawline/under-chin area. It is gonna take more practice to properly manipulate razor for these areas. Oh, and I forgot to wet my face before the first lather again!!!

Another shave this morning. It feels pretty good. Used the following:

Soap: Maggards London Barbershop
Blade: Gillette Sharpedge

The soap lathered great and smells fantastic! Seemed to lubricate well. I think I was pushing a little too hard initially. I nicked a mole on the left side of my face (fricken' moles!). Two passes and some clean-up. Less clean-up was required than the last shave though. I am getting a technique down for my chin, and I got the underside of my chin much better. Overall, it feels like a very close shave.

I don't know if I like this blade as much as the astra, but I can't really explain why yet. Need more experience here.

Looks like you are doing very well and are making good progress. You will knock that time down with experience, so be patient. In no time you can do 3 passes in under 10 minutes if you wish or need to. I find the time I have for a shave is often the most peaceful part of my day - so I like that I can take my time, relax and enjoy the experience.

Keep up the good work!

- Pete

Sent via Tapatalk from phone

Thanks labrax. Frankly, I am very happy with the results of this shave. From my recollection, I believe I am getting a closer shave with a cross the grain pass and a DE razor, than I did with a cartridge against the grain. It is a very close shave.

Only real irritation areas are on the front of my chin, but I am getting better at dealing with the contours there. I have almost eliminated that area now. I still struggle a little with the transition from the bottom of my chin to my neck. The hair on my chin grows down, and the hair on my neck grows up. If I don't stop at the right spot, I end up going against the grain on that transition. That leaves a bit of irritation. Something to keep working on.

I am getting more comfortable with the razor. The angle is getting to be more natural, and I an noticing the various feedbacks to make minor adjustments as needed.

My facial hair grows very slow, so I doubt I will shave more often than every other day. It really is a blessing. Don't have to worry about the 5 o'clock shadow like a lot of guys do.

Awesome work! Sounds like its coming together! I agree with Labrax - I love taking my time to shave. But when I need to go pretty quick, I can! And the shave is still great!

Thanks dexutter!

Took the time to shave this afternoon after a lot of yardwork and a shower.

Soap: Mickey Lee's Kraken
Blade: Gillette Sharpedge

I really don't know if I like this blade. I am wondering if it is too sharp for my current experience level. I don't know. I feel more irritated after a shave with this than the Astra.

I completed a 2 pass shave with some cleanup. There are a few areas of my face that are a little warm this time. I got a bit of sunburn yesterday, so I am hoping the burn is from that. I did catch myself coming to an area from the wrong direction a few times. I am still struggling a lot with angle, especially on my upper lip, chin and lower neck areas. I tend to be too steep on my lip and chin and too shallow on my neck. I am getting better at covering my trouble areas, except my adam's apple. Still need to figure out the best approach there... Every once in a while, though, I get the angle just right. The stroke feels perfect without any scraping of the blade. I feel I am getting glimpses of what I should be doing.
:confused1

I have a lot of learning to go. As I type this, the burning in my neck to chin transition is subsiding. My skin seems to feel absolutely wonderful using this brand of soap. I really like Mickey Lee's.

I have it bad too. I am going through Maggard's website looking for several different aftershave samples to try! Oh lord help me! Another hobby to eat up my money! :D I will be getting some Thayer's unscented for sure, and I want to experiment with a couple other brands and scents. I will be driving my wife crazy with another obsession :p

Last edited:
I sat and thought about my shave yesterday, and I was just not happy with it. I started wondering why it burned so much. Then I thought, it felt like there wasn't any shaving cream on my face. I remember reading about a dry lather, so I came home tonight and did a practice lather with the same soap.

It whipped up into a lather pretty quick, and I tested it between my thumb and finger. It felt like there was almost no lubrication. I assume this is what is meant by a dry lather. I added a few drops of water and worked it a little more. Even with a few drops, it started to feel much better. Added a couple more drops, and it got a little better. I tested it again between my thumb and finger, and, after the lather was wiped away, there was still a fair amount of slickness left.

My conclusion... an insufficient lather was my enemy yesterday. I will give it a shot again in another day or so. I am confident that the results will be better.

On the plus side, I got to smell this awesome soap again!

When I first started, the biggest thing that helped me was whipping up test lathers every night even if I wasn't shaving

When I first started, the biggest thing that helped me was whipping up test lathers every night even if I wasn't shaving
That is a great idea. I think I will do the same. I must also admit, I have taken a few passes with my razor with the blade removed too. Trying to find the right angle for a few areas.

Shaved tonight and used the following:

Soap: Mickey Lee's Kraken
Blade: Gillette Sharpedge (3rd shave with blade)

I worked more water into the lather, and it was a bit more slick. The shave felt much better than last time. My first pass is getting better, and there was minimal cleanup needed after the second pass. I did nick my one mole and my adam's apple again. I used my styptic stick for the first time on the mole. It works very well!

It seems like my angle is more consistent and improving. I still struggle with a couple areas, but I slowed down a bit. There doesn't seem to be nearly as much irritation on the front of my chin. I'll take that as improvement! :D

Shaved this morning:

Soap: Maggard's London Barbershop
Blade: Gillette Sharpedge (4th shave)

It was a pleasant shave. 2 full passes and some cleanup. I still find areas that were missed, but not as bad. I need to work on the angle on my neck, really having a difficult time getting a close shave without cutting myself.

I didn't cut any moles today
:thumbup: Overall, it feels like a pretty nice shave. I believe my control on the whole pressure thing is improving further. My face sure does feel smooth and smells wonderful!

Today, a couple orders will be made. I am going to purchase some aftershave samples from Maggard's. I am also looking at buying a couple soaps from Mama Bear.

I think I have plenty of shaves left on the blade in my razor, but I will probably change it on the next shave. I really want to try the next brand.

Well done! Good call doing the test lather. I shaved for about a week before I tried a test lather. I realized I was way too dry. My irritation decreased really quickly with a better lather. Sounds like your focus on blade angle is good too! Once you get it down, it'll be much more natural to keep the angle right! Keep it up!

Top Bottom