What's new

macdad's Shave Journal

A very full day yesterday! If you went to Great Lakes Crossing then you weren't too far from me, and that is a heck of a drive for a shopping trip lol. Great shave, despite the nick, and it's always good to narrow things down to user error. :lol:
It was the Great Lakes Crossing, and it was indeed a long trip for a mall. My youngest daughter bought a sweatshirt (she has a thing for jackets and hoodies), and they all got a pair of cheap sunglasses. That is all. If they had an RC store or a good shave store, it would have been more worth the trip :D
Took me awhile to get caught up again but it looks like you've been busy at the ranch. Yesterday was my oldest girls birthday, she shares that in common with your wife. No shopping here, that was supposed to happen today but mom has been down with the flu ...and I am NOT shopping with her alone (in fact, if moms feeling better then I may just be coming down with the flu).

Don't underestimate the ability of the GD to hold an edge and respond well to balsa stropping. The steel seems to be pretty good and the bevel angle is large enough it doesn't break down too fast. I learned using a modified GD and it held for well over a month of daily shaves. I followed slash McCoy's method of balsa strop maintenance and was served very well by it.

Regarding the chiseled face soaps, they were an early favorite of mine. I love GTB, he's done a couple others that aren't in production anymore that I really like too. Compared to other soaps I think CFG might be better suited for DE than straight BUT when you get the right consistency it does well with the straight too. Yesterday's subpar shave may have a connection to the CFG. ...but the gtb is a winner for sure.
Never really thought about the soap being a potential issue. I will keep an eye on it next time I used CF for a straight shave.
I do like my GD razor. It will get a refresh soon regardless, but it is holding up quite well. I really like the heft of the blade.
I hope everyone gets over the flu quickly at your house. Everyone around here has been fighting something or other all winter. It has been a rough year for the flu and respiratory infections.
Bummer about the nick! Hey as long as SWBMO is happy right? Oh and Happy Birthday to SWMBO!:happybday:
I will let her know you all said Happy Birthday! She said she had a good weekend, so that is all the matters.
Another Great Read
Thanks Dave.
Can't complain about Olive Garden - those bread sticks rock!
It is crazy, but that is my wife's favorite part. The salad and bread sticks. They have the buy one take one deal right now, so I have lunch covered for today!

It was SWMBO's day, do what SWMBO wants. Smart call on your part Fred.
Momma didn't raise no fool!
Good read Fred! And man, I'd go to Olive Garden for salad and breadsticks any day... Now I'm hungry...
Haha! It was a good meal! I still have a hard time paying so much for a $1.00 worth of pasta and sauce, but it is what my wife likes!

Well, I have been out for a few days. Working, running kids around, etc has kept us pretty busy. There have been a few couple other shaves. Both were good.

Today's shave:

Razor: GD#2 Straight Razor
Soap: Stirling Mountain Man
Brush: WW Burnt Oak Whiskey
DE Blade: 7 O'Clock SS (5 full and 0 Partial)
Aftershave: Matching AS

Great 3 pass shave this morning. I still had to work a little too hard for it, so I took the razor to the balsa strop to touch up the edge. Regardless, I was able to get a solid DFS shave today. No nicks or cuts. Just an all around good shave on a quiet Saturday morning! What a great way to relax. I am so glad I found wet shaving and Badger and Blade!

My wife has volunteered to watch our 2 nephews and our niece tonight. The nephews are a handful at 9 and 7( I think:( ), but they are manageable. The niece is not quite a year. She is going to be a handful. I don't plan on getting much sleep tonight.

Tomorrow afternoon, I leave to corporate for training. I will be out all week. I don't like being away from home like that all the time, but, once in a while, it is nice to go on the road. I have a small box of sample soaps, so I will go through that and determine what I will be shaving with for the week. Nothing special, but I will likely grab one or two that I don't normally use. Have a great Saturday gentlemen!

Maybe even take some soaps that you've found challenging to lather at your house - you might be surprised how they do in other water types. Safe travels.

Fred I talk to guys all the time about traditional wet shaving and they just don't understand how I can enjoy it so much. It is a great way to start the day! I'm sure y'all will do fine the the niece and nephews. Have a good and safe trip!

Top Bottom