What's new

Martin de Candre, Savon à raser

On my list to try, but not at the price they ask. Sorry, but I know what soap costs to make. Their price is gouging plain and simple. A bet I would make is that if I made two Identical soaps and sold them under different names with one at $3 a puck and the other at $50 a puck the $50 would get significantly higher scores for performance in reviews. It seems counterintuitive, but it's simple psychology. You'd think people would be more demanding of a high price soap, but nope. The price itself instills a subconscious sense of quality. We're all very gullible in the end.

I'd love to try it, but realistically it's not a candidate for inclusion in my rotation. Nice review. Thank you!

Monsavon anyone?

Bravo Marco. Your enthusiasm is contagious.

I don't understand this soap. I am usually the first guy to slam veggie based pansy wimpy earthy granola eating non tallow soaps. It really should not be that good with such a short ingredient list.:blink:

But, I love it. It agrees with me.:blushing: I've used it almost every day for six weeks.

I don't understand this soap. I am usually the first guy to slam veggie based pansy wimpy earthy granola eating non tallow soaps. It really should not be that good with such a short ingredient list.:blink:

But, I love it. It agrees with me.:blushing: I've used it almost every day for six weeks.

Have you used Provence Sante, CADE and Institut Karite shaving soaps? All of them are non-tallow and provide just as good shaves as tallow equivalents.

Also I can see one of the local french boys starting a side forwarding/posting/proxy service for this soaps. At much better price. *Hint* *Hint* :tongue_sm

It might not make much money, but it might be good on the side.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I waited until I got home to read it....needed to get my popcorn and Red Vines to enjoy this beauty.

:lol:

Great review Marco. Bravisimo!

You're English is excellent by the way.

Thank you, Mark!:001_smile

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy

Thank you, mate. MdC is, on my skin, a tremendously effective soap. I always get excellent shaves with this French gem. So it agrees with me, too!:thumbup1:

Last edited:
Slightly off topic here, or maybe it's on topic:tongue_sm...
Marco, I really enjoy all your reviews! I feel like I should be paying admission to have the privilege of learning from your experience.
Example... I first tried P.160 about 1 1/2 years ago and didn't really like it. I didn't think much of it at the time, just a soap I wouldn't be purchasing again. But after reading what you have to say about it, I wish I hadn't given it away. Your praise of the product has made me confident that I did something wrong:blush:
So, thanks for all the effort and info... or maybe no thanks, because I now list all the soaps you enjoy as "must have" soaps, just when my SSAD was under control:lol:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Slightly off topic here, or maybe it's on topic:tongue_sm...
Marco, I really enjoy all your reviews! I feel like I should be paying admission to have the privilege of learning from your experience.
Example... I first tried P.160 about 1 1/2 years ago and didn't really like it. I didn't think much of it at the time, just a soap I wouldn't be purchasing again. But after reading what you have to say about it, I wish I hadn't given it away. Your praise of the product has made me confident that I did something wrong:blush:
So, thanks for all the effort and info... or maybe no thanks, because I now list all the soaps you enjoy as "must have" soaps, just when my SSAD was under control:lol:

Andy,
First of all thank you for you kind words. It is always my pleasure and my honour to have friends like you here at B&B who appreciate my reviews. Regarding P.160 and other products I love and wrote positive feedback on, do not "force" yourself to like them simply because I said, or someone else said, that those soaps or creams are good. No soap or cream is universally recognised as good for every man. Each of us has his own opinion, his own taste, his own point of view. Trust in what you really think is correct. And enjoy wet shaving, my friend.

Hi Marco,

As per usual great review. I only wish they would find a retailer in North America to absorb some of the shipping cost...:thumbdown

Regardless, I hope to procure this soap one day.

Cheers,

Doug

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Hi Marco,

As per usual great review. I only wish they would find a retailer in North America to absorb some of the shipping cost...:thumbdown

Regardless, I hope to procure this soap one day.

Cheers,

Doug

Doug,
I'm very sorry to hear that so many European products are that highly priced in the US and Canada. A friend told me that SMN shaving cream is priced over $ 60 in North America, when here in Italy it costs only € 25... I hope a solution will be found. Take care.

Of course there is a lot of very good soap that cost half the price , but that's the same for every product.

you have to compare with other High end soaps.
Dr Harris cost 18£ for 100G in a bowl, that would make near 30£ without shipping for 170G.
Geo F trumper is also 18£, but for 80 of soap...
Nobody should buy Art of Shaving, if the price of Mdc is insane.

Martin de candre is not a Big company, with store around the world , they don't have massive production.

Otherwise the initial post was very pleasant to read , thanks Marco

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Of course there is a lot of very good soap that cost half the price , but that's the same for every product.

you have to compare with other High end soaps.
Dr Harris cost 18£ for 100G in a bowl, that would make near 30£ without shipping for 170G.
Geo F trumper is also 18£, but for 80 of soap...
Nobody should buy Art of Shaving, if the price of Mdc is insane.

Martin de candre is not a Big company, with store around the world , they don't have massive production.

Otherwise the initial post was very pleasant to read , thanks Marco

I totally agree, mate. Thank you.

i'm actually glad i over spent this month, or else this review and pictures would have made me ignore the shipping costs...
Great review and pics, Marco!

If there were proof that tallow were not required to make an excellent soap then this is it.

I didn't really give a fig about trying this soap until I was sent a sample, then I changed my mind. If you are offended by the cost (shipping is a bit silly) then it's just not for you.

If you get a chance to try it do so, a little goes a very long way. I thought I didn't like lavender but I love this. There is nothing else like it, not even Williams.

Last edited:
Great review! Price is too high....actually insanely high. But most agree that if they spend that much on a soap/cream than the product is the sh.t regardless. Tallow as an ingredient doesnt mean jack to me. If it did then Williams, Ivory, and Irish Spring would all be superior SS's. I have tallow soaps and veggie soaps that are equal in performance but of course I know MY MMV. Bottom line....I would bet PdP is just as good at a fraction of the price. Bash me as you must but its true. A company's simplicity in formulation does not equate to price gouging. The cost for that "glass jar" and contents is no more than $5. That is being generous.......

Sorry for rant....but if you are looking for oceanfront property in Arizona please let my real estate agent know:)

I agree that some products are way overpriced. GFT soaps are, in my opinion. They have nice packaging, "image", scents and bowls but really the performance is no better than many other, cheaper soaps. Boots own brand being one of them.

MdC is very expensive to ship internationally, I agree. I was luckily enough to buy some from a shop in Paris.

However, the soap's performance is outstanding - and it really is ridiculous how long it lasts. You need so little product. I have the big jar and have been regularly using it for weeks. There is barely a dent in it. It will probably last me two years.

So, when you work out the cost per shave, versus the quality, it's actually incredibly good value. :thumbup1:

John

Have you used Provence Sante, CADE and Institut Karite shaving soaps? All of them are non-tallow and provide just as good shaves as tallow equivalents.

Yep, I own all those soaps. Meh. Blah. I don't agree that all those provide just as good a shave as tallow based soaps. IK is an exception, but it's 25% shea and will eventually turn your expensive shave brush floppy.

What makes a good shave soap? One that keeps me coming back.:biggrin1:

With all this fuss, someone is bound to import a crate of this stuff. Cough bullgoose cough wcs cough.

Top Bottom