What's new

Eat Your Oatmeal

As you may know, I have high cholesterol. Eating Oatmeal is a great way to lower your C count....

Sometimes I don't have the time to sit down and eat a bowl of oatmeal.

Alot of your oatmeal bars are full of sugar and perhaps other things, I shouldn't be eating.

Does anyone have a recipe...simple to make...(one serving would be one cup of uncooked oats...) perhaps in a bar form to make it handy....

any suggestions ???

Thanks in advance,

Mark the shoeshine boy

Something I have been doing for months is mixing 1/2 cup of oats, 25g whey protien powder (vanilla flavoured) in with 200-220ml water, grinding it up in a blender and drinking it for breakfast. It works out about 300 calories.

Im trying to stick to a 'cutting' diet and keep my metabolic rate up by eating little and often hense the low calorie count. Meals are about every three hours. Though you could play with the ratios to see what fits if you need to go longer.

Sounds weird but its quite nice.

flippantfig said:
Something I have been doing for months is mixing 1/2 cup of oats, 25g whey protien powder (vanilla flavoured) in with 200-220ml water, grinding it up in a blender and drinking it for breakfast. It works out about 300 calories.

Im trying to stick to a 'cutting' diet and keep my metabolic rate up by eating little and often hense the low calorie count. Meals are about every three hours. Though you could play with the ratios to see what fits if you need to go longer.

Sounds weird but its quite nice.

I've recently started working out, lifting weights and cycling and this sounds good. I'm in the process of losing fat and hopefully gaining muscle. Hopefully! :thumbup:

As a heart patient (I have CAD and 5 stents) most of any type of "bars" have oils that are not good for the heart. Instant oatmeal isn't bad. Add water, nuke it for a min. and your ready to go.
Vinny

I have been eating oatmeal on an almost daily basis for over twenty five years. Nothing to do with cholesterol...I just happen to like it.

Cholesterol testing should be done in the morning without having eaten anything for 12 hours prior. Even people with normal cholesterol levels may show a higher level if they've eaten anything prior to the test.

I mention this only because about four years ago I had it tested and was not told this nor noted by my doctor. So right after breakfast I had it done. I don't want to get into the triglceride numbers and all the now, but my total cholesterol was 207. A month later I found out about the 12 hour fasting...took the test again through another doctor and this time my total was 167 !

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'll trade problems with you. I can't get the missus to make oatmeal that doesn't come out in the form of a bar.:frown:

jduffy said:
I've recently started working out, lifting weights and cycling and this sounds good. I'm in the process of losing fat and hopefully gaining muscle. Hopefully! :thumbup:

Good luck jduffy! The thing is the exercise. I need to get out and move more, the diet can only go so far. The more muscle you build the more you have to keep you body ticking over. You can get lost in nutrition and work out regimes if you're not careful. Bit like shaving. :wink:

vinny1957 said:
As a heart patient (I have CAD and 5 stents) most of any type of "bars" have oils that are not good for the heart.

Agreed. You need fats as part of a balanced diet, but refined and processed cr:eek:p can be cut right out!

mark the shoeshine boy said:
As you may know, I have high cholesterol. Eating Oatmeal is a great way to lower your C count....

Sometimes I don't have the time to sit down and eat a bowl of oatmeal.

Alot of your oatmeal bars are full of sugar and perhaps other things, I shouldn't be eating.

Does anyone have a recipe...simple to make...(one serving would be one cup of uncooked oats...) perhaps in a bar form to make it handy....

any suggestions ???

Thanks in advance,

Mark the shoeshine boy

Mark,

I'm guessing there is no other form that will have the same benefit as a good old fashioned bowl of oatmeal. I would guess your best bet would be to just wake up earlier.

Once again the powers of B&B amaze me.

I have a physical this week, and last time my cholesterol was borderline on the high side.

Do you think just starting to eat nothing but oatmeal the week prior will help my numbers?

As one who just had his cholesterol checked and is now on drugs to lower it, I don't think the point is to eat only oatmeal for a week to get the number down.:biggrin:

Have yours checked, and if its high do something about it--like oatmeal, diet, drugs, exercise, etc.

I dieted for 6 months after my last visit and the numbers went down enough that it should be OK with the drugs. My trick is keeping it down.

It is much better to attack the problem from many directions. Don't focus one particular food. Use a variety of foods. Be sure to consume a good amount of fiber. Lentils and beans are very high in fiber. I also use the Wal-Mart brand (Equate) of sugar-free Metamucil. It costs about $5 for a pretty big tub. I take 2 teaspoons for 2 days on, 1 day off. I take it before going to bed.

I eat a mixture of brown rice, black beans, and lentils. I add a chicken breast or salmon.

I'm also avoiding refined sugar. Regular soda has 40-50g of sugar per can. Diet soda has no sugar added. I drink plenty of water but when I'm craving soda, I go for the diet.

Your goal should be to avoid saturated fat. Nuts and fish are high in fat, but it is heart healthy fat. I eat 1-2 oz of almonds or pecans mixed in my oat bran cereal.

I ride a stationary bike for 45 minutes a day. I just pop on my headphones and listen to my MP3 player or read a book. It makes the 45 minutes go by very fast. I usually cover 11 miles in 45 minutes. I take 1 or 2 days off a week.

Eat a good serving of fruits a day. If you have a sweet tooth, then I suggest you include honey and sweet fruits in your diet. Sweet fruits include honeydew, cantaloupe, mangos, dates, figs, etc. I've heard Buckwheat honey to be the best. The darker honey usually has the most antioxidants.

I usually just dump oatmeal and water in a bowl until it looks right, then throw it in the nuker for about 3 minutes. Alot of the time I will mix in some peanut butter for protein, but you might not want to do that. I tried some whey protein in it once, and almost tossed my cookies.

Almonds or walnuts would probably be a good choice tho.

http://www.betterbudgeting.com/articles/frugal/breakfast.htm

i made this today....except for the canola oil...it is about what i am searching for when i am on the run....i actually made these into bars...they turned out real good, too...

But I am going to keep the rest of this in mind....

There are other things that i do to keep it down, and i will set my alarm clock a little earlier...so i can have a great shave and a bowl of oatmeal...

mark tssb

I tend to carry some of the instant packs of oatmeal with me to work. I put one pack in a styrofoam coffe cup and use the hot water from the coffee machine....real fast way to get some oatmeal. So far I like the maple flavor. but during wimbledon I do eat Strawberries and Cream flavored oatmeal.:biggrin:

Top Bottom