What's new

Eat Your Oatmeal

I love the steel cut oats. But hate taking the time to prepare them.

I will try the crockpot methed and toasting them - both sound great.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
i wonder if the goverment has a special provision for people who went bankrupt following forums like this.

Yes ... somewhere in the neighbourhood of $7,000,000,000 I understand. It was just in the news recently.

... I don't think it will be enough, BTW.

You'll get no sympathy from me about eating oatmeal in a candy bar.

Buy a rice cooker that has "Fuzzy Logic". I bought a Zojirushi NS-ZCC10. Put in water and steel cut Oatmeal and then walk away. When it is done the cooker will beep and then switch to keep warm mode. Whatever I cook in it comes out absolutely perfect! I normally cook up to a weeks worth of oatmeal and put it in the fridge. In the morning I nuke it in the microwave. A little butter and on it and I'm happy.

You'll get no sympathy from me about eating oatmeal in a candy bar.

Buy a rice cooker that has "Fuzzy Logic". I bought a Zojirushi NS-ZCC10. Put in water and steel cut Oatmeal and then walk away. When it is done the cooker will beep and then switch to keep warm mode. Whatever I cook in it comes out absolutely perfect! I normally cook up to a weeks worth of oatmeal and put it in the fridge. In the morning I nuke it in the microwave. A little butter and on it and I'm happy.

What is your water to oatmeal ratio?

What is your water to oatmeal ratio?

I am so in Love with my rice cooker I bought a cook book for it. "The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook". By Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufman edition March 2003. 355 pages.

MACHINE: Medium (6-Cup) rice cooker:
Fuzzy logic only
Cycle: Porridge
Yield: Serves 3

"Old-fashioned Steel-cut Oatmeal"
1 1/4 cup steel-cut oats
3 cups cold water
Pinch of sea salt.

Cook on Porridge cycle. At the end of the cycle, the cereal will be thick and will hold on Keep Warm for 1 to 2 hours.

What is the benefit of a rice cooker? Is it kind of like a crock pot? Can you cook anything else than rice, and oatmeal in it?

A rice cooker is a "set and forget" type of appliance. The end result is no better than a skilled cook doing it the old fashioned way.

Mark,

I'm guessing there is no other form that will have the same benefit as a good old fashioned bowl of oatmeal. I would guess your best bet would be to just wake up earlier.

Poor guy's probably already getting up early just to shave!!:biggrin:

If beer lowers your cholesterol then I'm golden. :wink:

Something I have been doing for months is mixing 1/2 cup of oats, 25g whey protien powder (vanilla flavoured) in with 200-220ml water, grinding it up in a blender and drinking it for breakfast. It works out about 300 calories.

Im trying to stick to a 'cutting' diet and keep my metabolic rate up by eating little and often hense the low calorie count. Meals are about every three hours. Though you could play with the ratios to see what fits if you need to go longer.

Sounds weird but its quite nice.

Have you tried using skim/non-fat milk?

Gentlemen.
Porridge should always be prepared with pinhead oatmeal. Not rolled oats or flattened oats. It's very small, much smaller in grain than rissoto rice and usually quite white. I don't know if this is the steel-cut type you're talking about.
Anyway, take a reasonable portion of pinhead oatmeal and pour in your rice-milk, milk/water mix or even oatmilk the night before. Add dried fruit etc. Cover and store in the fridge while you sleep. When you wake, heat in a saucepan, stirring constantly (preferably with a wooden spoon) until it starts to thicken, then add a small amount more of the liquid you prefer. Finish with honey and some more dried fuit or a drop of whisky if it's a night-time snack.
This method ensure creamy, lump-free porridge in under 2 minutes.
If you want to take some with you to work, make slightly more than a breakfast's-worth and pour the remainder into a shallow Tupperware dish. Scoop out with a bran muffin at your morning break. It'll thicken into something humous-like but if you've seasoned it well, it should be quite tasty.
For a birthday treat, use 3/4 milk 1/4 single cream as your liquid and add a vanilla pod and some cinnamon to the mix the night before, then use maple syrup at the end. I like to break up something nice, like a chocolate muffin or a croissant into the hot porridge, to give it more texture and avoid the need for toast.

Top Bottom