What's new

The Scent Of TOBS - Mr. Taylor's Shave Cream

Good day gentlemen,

I received a tub of TOBS Mr. Taylor's Shave Cream in February and since then I've used it a handful of times. The TOBS site mentions hints of lavender, fern, cedar and sandalwood however in the tub, bowl, or on my face I can smell nothing but unscented cream. I'm a tad confused because while searching B&B, Mr. Taylor's has great reviews on the scent.

Has anyone else received a TOBS product that displayed little to no scent. Perhaps it's a manufacture defect or perhaps my expectations were high as my only comparison to TOBS cream was a tub of Sandalwood.

My next TOBS acquirement will be Germyn Street.

Regards,

Brijann

Scent is very subjective. I heard when I first started that all this stuff had strong scents. I barely notice the scent on any of the products I'm using. Especially after the first whiff.

Strange, I found Mr. Taylor's one of the stronger smelling shaving creams I've used. Maybe you should ask someone else to smell the cream for you?

I like the scent. The more I use it, Mr. Taylor's reminds me faintly of T/H Grafton and/or Trafalgar (it's been a few years). I've been alternating between Mr. T and the Sandalwood this winter, and after a few weeks of getting used to them, they're working very well

...but I'm still looking forward to buying some Proraso for the warmer weather. Especially the new White cream in the tube.

I'm going to guess your olfactories aren't accustomed to more traditional scents. Mr Taylor's is a more traditional scent IMHO.

If you wore, for scent, nothing but English Lavender or even a straight Limes cologne for a month or more and then returned to the Taylor's cream you'd find it strong.

Of course, you could just have an anomaly.

Chris

Mr. Taylors is talc and wood cedar to my nose. Not overpowering but there and one of my favorites.
I didn't like Jermyn Street. Not the scent or wet consistency of the cream although I forget what the scent smelt like.

Quite a few different descriptions of the "TOBS Mr. Taylor" scent! I'll have to pick some up!

Last edited:
I think Mr. Taylor (I have a tub of it right now) is one of those creams that might take on what one might think it is. It is a very Barber Shop type scent but while the individual notes by themselves are strong...together they transform into memories.

Good day gentlemen,

I received a tub of TOBS Mr. Taylor's Shave Cream in February and since then I've used it a handful of times. The TOBS site mentions hints of lavender, fern, cedar and sandalwood however in the tub, bowl, or on my face I can smell nothing but unscented cream. I'm a tad confused because while searching B&B, Mr. Taylor's has great reviews on the scent.

Has anyone else received a TOBS product that displayed little to no scent. Perhaps it's a manufacture defect or perhaps my expectations were high as my only comparison to TOBS cream was a tub of Sandalwood.

My next TOBS acquirement will be Germyn Street.

This is conjecture since I've never seen TOBs production line. I bought a tub of St. James Collection cream several months back, and likewise could barely detect a scent when first opened. This was entirely different than Eton College, Sandlewood, and Grapefruit that I had bought before the St. James. It occurred to me that the fragrance oils might have settled, or even were originally injected into the bottom of the 150 g tub. Gentle stirring with a wooden spatula, and subsequent use seemed to bear that out. The scent is now as powerful as the other choices. My conjecture is that the tubs are prefilled with scentless product, then injected, or even injected and stirred with a power stirrer on a production line. I think it is common place to open the TOBs tubs only to find massive shifting and settling of the product during transit. Again -- I have no specific knowledge to base this posit, but if you still find the cream too lightly scented for your liking, I would try giving it a gentle stir.

I've been trying a bunch of TOBS samples, and have also noticed that some have a very subtle no almost no scent. Perhaps my nose doesn't work as well as others?

I'm trying to remember which ones were like that. Of the ones I've tried, the Sandalwood, Grapefruit, and Rose have the strongest scents (to me.)

They all perform great.

Last edited:
This is conjecture since I've never seen TOBs production line. I bought a tub of St. James Collection cream several months back, and likewise could barely detect a scent when first opened. This was entirely different than Eton College, Sandlewood, and Grapefruit that I had bought before the St. James. It occurred to me that the fragrance oils might have settled, or even were originally injected into the bottom of the 150 g tub. Gentle stirring with a wooden spatula, and subsequent use seemed to bear that out. The scent is now as powerful as the other choices. My conjecture is that the tubs are prefilled with scentless product, then injected, or even injected and stirred with a power stirrer on a production line. I think it is common place to open the TOBs tubs only to find massive shifting and settling of the product during transit. Again -- I have no specific knowledge to base this posit, but if you still find the cream too lightly scented for your liking, I would try giving it a gentle stir.

Wow, now this is interesting. I've never come across this scenario with any cream. But it does suggest that there may be some settling with some of them. Definitely something to consider.

It seems the best mitigation against this is to stir the cream thoroughly before use. It's simple and will reveal if this is truly the problem. One could have an "off" tub, of course, but for a few stirs it's worth the effort.

Chris

Mr Taylors is definitely one of the more subtle scents, very light and powdery.

Not mine. I have quite a few TOBS creams (7 or so different scents), and I think that my tub of Mr Taylors has the strongest scent of the bunch. Maybe the scent strength varies from batch to batch...

^this +1. Strength of scent increased dramatically with Mr. Taylor's after being stirred. Consistency also went from somewhat solid to creamy texture after stirring.

Top Bottom